BMC Helix ITSM Review

Change Management, one of the most valuable features, helps us manage and maintain the company schedule of activities and resources.

Valuable Features:

• Configuration Management – to track hardware, software, users
  • Change Management – manage and maintain the company schedule of activities and resources

Improvements to My Organization:

This product aided in the management of hardware, software, resources, and implementation schedules. Additionally, it opened the communication barriers for resources and management to communicate one on one or in a group tracking and utilizing the facts

Use of Solution:

The company has used it for 11 years, and I have used it as an implementer & manager for four and a half years. I have also used is personally as an end-user for a further seven years.

Deployment Issues:

When I was a part of the support and upgrade team, it took 120 constant hours to upgrade.

Stability Issues:

The data was slow and the BMC support was lacking.

Scalability Issues:

After the five day upgrade we then had days of data clean up.

Previous Solutions:

We were using a very old product called PMSD, and excel spreadsheets. It was not robust nor did it provide the endless types of functionality that Remedy offered.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup for all involved was “discovery” as no one had the experience of the tool.

Implementation Team:

Our internal team performed the hardware configuration and setup, software process and procedures, documentation and training. Our teams were technically strong and had good technical knowledge. They knew the company and this is what made our implementation successful.

ROI:

I cannot comment as I was not monitoring the ROI.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I do know that managing the configuration items aided in the upcoming annual contracts for hardware, software products and other configuration items, the data was extremely helpful.

Other Solutions Considered:

We evaluated several tools – I cannot remember them as it’s been a while. We had a PRB team and performed site visits and demos.

Other Advice:

It’s a great product, I would highly recommend it. My strong advice is to take your time to plan, understand your company, and design your processes with your team members to understand all aspects. You also need to schedule your time and implementation. Finally, understand that it’s teamwork, and without that no-one will be successful.