Cohesity DataProtect Review

Easy to use, good file searching capability, and it is quick to deploy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to back up our server from VMware ESXi, including MSSQL and Exchange. We also have a file server and it's possible to search for specific files in Cohesity.

You can create Auto BackUp Groups. As s soon as a VM is moved into this folder, Cohesity starts the backup process.

We use it also for archiving our e-mails and Metalogix data. That works fine, and also, the migration from our old archiving solution was done well.

When you restore a VM, it starts immediately. This means that you can have your downtime very short. After the completed file and data restore, it will be moved to your storage.

How has it helped my organization?

You can create BackUp Groups and sync them with vCenter. As soon as you create a VM in the specific folder, it will be backed up. That is very useful and you don't have to configure every backup for each VM.

We used to have to create a backup job for every VM and also SQL and Exchange Backups. This process was very complicated.

With Cohesity, you have a template that helps you to backup and restore the right thing to the right place. There is no configuration overhead. The admin can restore within seconds.

What is most valuable?

The SQL Backup and Restore is very easy. Also, File Search is a key feature.

It doesn't take very much space in the rack and has enough disk space available for you to use.

Once you have configured your backup groups and have them in vCenter, they will start automatically and you never have to worry about forgetting because it will do that for you.

You can start an SQL Database wherever you want. From production to testing, it will perhaps only take a few minutes to set up.

What needs improvement?

The support team sometimes takes a long time to resolve issues, although, in our experience, these have been specific things like SQL blobs.

It can be that some Bugs will be fixed in future updates and you have to wait. But normally they will release a Hotfix for you.

One thing that would be great to see in the next release would be an complete restore for an SQL Instance (or multiple Databases). At the moment you have to restore one by one.

We have been using Cohesity DataProtect for one year.

Cohesity support will help you with every problem, regardless of the environment.

Prior to Cohesity, we used Actifio. It was an old solution and we wanted to switch to a new one.

What other advice do I have?

As is the case with any product, I recommend running a proof of concept before fully implementing it. This will help you to make sure that it fits the requirements.

In the proof of concept, you can test everything you want. Examples include SQL, Exchange, and File Backup. You should also test the replication between nodes.

More Cohesity DataProtect reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with Rubrik
Learn what your peers think about Cohesity DataProtect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.