Cohesity DataProtect Review

Reliable backup solution with a friendly, logical backup/restore infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

Our experience with the Cohesity DataProtect Platform has been overwhelmingly positive as we been able to manage our 500+ VMs and physical servers with only a few backup policies. Backups: VMs are currently being added to jobs automatically through tagging. But, we also manually add VMs to jobs at times as we need to split up the load of VMs to multiple backup jobs. We try to keep a ratio of 15 VMs to 1 job. After getting a Cohesity Agent on a SQL server and syncing it with Cohesity, it is simple to set a backup/retention schedule for Log, Incremental, and Full backups based on policy. We utilize the Cohesity APIs to produce daily reports on jobs that have succeeded, failed, paused, etc. We send an email to our Systems team with this information and log it in a .csv. This allows us to give a timeline to backup auditors as well as let us know when something isn't going right. Restores: We have used Cohesity to restore granular files as well as restore SQL databases. VM's restore to vSphere directly. VM's typically restore quite quickly and work right away as long as they're restored to the original vSphere they came from. Individual files can be searched on multiple VM backups and downloaded locally or placed back on source machine. SQL Databases can be restored to any SQL server instance, not only the original. As long as the SQL versions match. *We have had some luck restoring databases from older SQL versions to newer SQL versions. Support: Cohesity has been very responsive to support requests and resolved issues in a timely manner. They openly assist in filling in knowledge gaps about the application.

How has it helped my organization?

Our previous backup solution was unable to be upgraded after several engagements.

I was surprised to see how well the Cohesity appliances performed and how easy the setup was. After a couple of hours, the cluster was up, and we were able to take backup of our VMware infrastructure. After that, I tested a few backups and restores, and everything was running smoothly.

What is most valuable?

Reliable backup solution with many options and friendly/logical backup/restore infrastructure.

The product is easy to put in place, all backups are done very quickly, and it's easy to perform restores. What I prefer in the product is its simplicity. No useless settings to define, everything is ready just after the initial setup.

I also had the opportunity to deploy new nodes and upgrade the cluster; everything is well thought and is running very well.

What needs improvement?

Volume Shadow Copies can get very large on SQL servers so be aware of this if OS says a drive has a lot of space but everything else is saying that the drive is out of space. This mostly occurs when the backup job fails, which is very uncommon. We've run into issues where network segmented computers couldn't reach back to Cohesity over 445 and that has caused restores to fail. Split large Database/NAS/Phycial backups into their own backup job so smaller devices can stay on their backup schedules and backup more often. SQL and Physical (Block Level) backups need to have a Cohesity Agent installed (requiring a restart) and they have to be manually added into Cohesity but the process is still pretty simple. Cohesity cluster upgrades have not been as easy as a single button click but a manual process that requires upgrading each node in the cluster individually. The upgrades do go pretty smoothly though.

Less than one year.

More Cohesity DataProtect reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with Rubrik
Learn what your peers think about Cohesity DataProtect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.