Microsoft Azure DevOps Review

Helpful for multi-platform release management, but more flexibility is needed for automated testing

What is most valuable?

All of the features related to release management are very good. We use release management and dev management, and the dashboard is good. The ability to specify multiple platforms in release management, by using Docker, is valuable.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with the Linux operating system would be an improvement for this solution.

I would like to see more third-party plugins; by comparison, the open source solution, Jenkins, has thousands of plugins available.

The Wiki for this solution is not very good.

There is a problem when you want to run a release pipeline for an organization that needs enhanced security. There is no option to configure a dynamic login for a station that is running the tests. The only solution in the platform is to configure an agent that uses a fixed username and password login. There is no option to change the username or password for the login dynamically. If I want to run multiple tests, with different users, then I cannot do it. When it comes to running tests, it needs an option to use different users or authentications. This is a very important feature that is missing.

More than five years.

This solution is very stable.

Scalability is not particularly relevant. It depends on what kind of scaling you want to do. Generally, it has very good support for scaling.

There are hundreds of developers using this solution.

We only had one issue, and I would rate their technical support at medium, based on that experience. The issue was related to shrinking a database, where it was not working well. It took a long time for Microsoft support to fix the problem.

We did not use another solution prior to this one. However, I use other tools in conjunction with Azure DevOps. One of these is Jenkins, for CICD, and I also use the Atlassian Suite.

The initial setup for the latest version was very straightforward. The upgrade was quick and lightweight.

I handled the implementation on my own.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I would recommend.

Azure DevOps is a leading platform, but some things can be better.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.