Microsoft Azure DevOps Overview

Microsoft Azure DevOps is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Release Automation tools. It is most often compared to Jira: Microsoft Azure DevOps vs Jira

What is Microsoft Azure DevOps?

Azure DevOps Services is a cloud service for collaborating on code development. It provides an integrated set of features that you access through your web browser or IDE client, including the following:

• Git repositories for source control of your code.
  • Build and release management to support continuous integration and delivery of your apps.
  • Agile tools to support planning and tracking your work, code defects, and issues using Kanban and Scrum methods.
  • A variety of tools to test your apps, including manual/exploratory testing, load testing, and continuous testing.
  • Highly customizable dashboards for sharing progress and trends.
  • Built-in wiki for sharing information with your team.

Microsoft Azure DevOps is also known as Azure DevOps, VSTS, Visual Studio Team Services, MS Azure DevOps, MS Azure DevOps, MS Azure DevOps.

Microsoft Azure DevOps Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure DevOps Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Microsoft Azure DevOps Customers

Alaska Airlines, Iberia Airlines, Columbia, Skype

Microsoft Azure DevOps Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure DevOps pricing:
  • "It is the least expensive product in this class."
  • "I don't know what we pay, but I do know what I've seen online. If we switched to JIRA, we will basically have to double our costs because we still have to pay for the DevOps licensing. We're probably spending $100 a month on it. It has only standard licensing fees."
  • "As a Microsoft Partner, you get a discount on the pricing. Licensing costs are around $80 a month for DevOps, but for Azure, it is about $200 a month."

CR
Assurance Manager at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Robust functionality, good integration, continually enhanced, and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

We're doing a full continuous integration (CI), continuous delivery (CD), continuous testing (CT), security, delivery, and monitoring. We're currently using TFS 2013, TFS 2017, Azure DevOps Server 2019 update one, and Azure DevOps services, which is the SaaS cloud platform. I manage all of these. It is deployed on Azure DevOps Server and Azure Services' private cloud.

• "They have been lately adding features to the services on a regular basis. Every two weeks, they are adding functionality to Azure DevOps Services to match it with what Azure DevOps Server or on-prem would offer. So, we continue to get more robust functionality. My favorite right now is that they are starting to open up the API availability within Azure DevOps Services. Another thing that I like about Azure DevOps is that you can use it with any of the products that are on the market. You can integrate it with Jenkins and other open-source products to complete that fully functional CI, CD, CT, CM, and CS pipeline. It continues to enhance."
  • "We are currently in the process of moving all of our on-prem to the cloud platform. We are trying to make that move and host the majority of our DevOps services in the cloud because the cloud is where most of the things are going nowadays. However, the process of this transfer is not straightforward, and it could be a lot easier. Microsoft hasn't provided the maturity for migration tools. It could be a lot easier in that respect. I want to see them continue to advance the API capabilities. They could add some more robust functionality to the administrative layer within ADO services. There are a lot of configuration elements that you need to take care of at the organization level and the project configuration level from an administrative capacity. When you're dealing with process templates and things of that nature, you have to do them all manually. Being able to automate some of that using scripts or API functionality would be really nice."

What other advice do I have?

I would ask those who are looking into implementing Microsoft Azure DevOps if they are already on the Microsoft stack of products. If they are, I would highly recommend them to use Azure DevOps Services or Azure DevOps, because they're already paying for that as part of their E-agreement. So, they should take full advantage of that because it is part of their licensing agreements. They should exploit what they're paying for because they are already paying a lot of money for Microsoft products. Both UCD and ADO are the best products in the current DevOps space right now. They're both agnostic…
IrvingGreen
Senior Director at Cloud Technovation
Good for the staging environment through to the production environment

What is our primary use case?

Building fast and reliable, amplified feedback loops in all stages of our software delivery and operations lifecycle. The business strives for built-in quality to ensure that everyone have correctly done their job. I trust my team with peer reviews of our designs, code, test and infrastructure.

• "Azure enables us to create a staging environment through to a production environment in an easier way and then get the code and run that."

What other advice do I have?

The first thing that I would suggest is to read the documentation for the platform. The online documentation changes pretty much every other week; there is always something new coming out. Practice, practice, and practice. Test, practice, and repeat. You need to know your way around the platform and the only way to do that is by hands-on practice. You can't break the environment, but you can speed things up on the thirteenth hour. It depends on how you configure things since every configuration is different. It's an excellent product that is taking into account current technology, yet also…
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure DevOps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
    523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    BG
    Chief Digital Officer (CDO) at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    Easy to use, stable, and helps speed up production

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our Agile teams, however, we started off using it with our executive suite. Our executive team now meets in sprints every day. Sometimes it's a short 15 minutes, other times it can be up to an hour. We have two-week sprints and daily scrums associated with it. We've also rolled that down from the executive. We've got seven formal Agile teams running throughout the organization across our businesses. We probably have at least 40% of our staff now trained in Agile and using DevOps to execute the projects.

• "Typically the sprints themselves and managing the tasks have essentially eliminated our need for reporting."
    • "Some of the queries, the way they're built, need to be looked at. We need better query tools."

What other advice do I have?

We're just Microsoft customers. We don't have any business relationship with the company. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. I'd strongly recommend the solution to other organizations. I can't see us ever reversing back now after being on this for a year. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's relatively easy to use and it does what we need it to do.
    DemisewAbera
    DevOps Engineer at Simprints
    The least expensive of the competitors in this class continues to develop and benefits Microsoft users

What is our primary use case?

I took a part-time job doing a mentorship to guide the students on how to use cloud computing on the AW and Azure cloud resources. For that project, we go through each and every service on cloud computing that is part of the service platform. The new technology is called server-less technology. The goal of the mentorships is showing students how to fundamentally use these resources and explain the advantages and disadvantages of cloud computing over on-premises solutions.

• "Azure is an advantage when working with other Microsoft solutions."
    • "Azure has not yet advanced to the performance level of the other major competitors and is missing integration with important technologies."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Microsoft Azure DevOps as an eight-out-of-ten. It is not quite up to the level of other offerings in some ways but it is improving all the time.
    OB
    Director - Quality Management at a performing arts with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good user interface, easy to implement, and offers good reporting

• "The solution is easy to implement and easy to use."
    • "One thing I would note is that it's hard to know what is included or not in the product. Especially when you begin to try and compare it to other solutions. When you go to a site like VersionOne, they tell you Azure DevOps doesn't have this or that, and when you go to Microsoft, it says VersionOne doesn't have this or that. They could do a better job of laying out exactly what is on offer so customers know going in exactly what they'll get."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using at this time. I personally just love using Microsoft DevOps. I would recommend the solution to anyone. Organizations considering the solution should just go for it and they should get the complete orchestration. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I don't think that I have explored everything extensively yet. Any product definitely will have its own gaps, and since I'm not in a position to understand it 100%, I want to play it safe on ranking it at eight.
    Rodrigo Bassani
    Head Of Technology at Elogroup
    Excellent integration; enables us to see all the steps in the lifecycle of our clients

What is our primary use case?

The first time I used the solution was to create a build for an Oracle application called SOA. We generated all the features in Azure DevOps to create the build and then we created a workflow. We are partners of Microsoft and I'm head of technology.

• "Provides us with user histories."
    • "Templates could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to start using this solution because the first five licenses are free. As a result, it's easy to track and compare with other solutions and it's easy to scale. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
    TC
    Senior .NET Engineer at Advance Storage Products
    Helpful in tracking issues and works extremely well in terms of the build time, but it is complicated and should provide the ability to write your own scripts

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for the source-code repository, automated bill process, very limited automated testing, and tracking trouble tickets or feature requests. We are using its latest version.

• "The automated bill feature is most valuable. As with most software developers, I can build code on my machine, but if one of my coworkers can't build the same code on theirs, there are always issues in trying to track it down. The automated bill process makes it a lot easier to track down where the issues are and find out what bugs aren't being included for whatever reason."
    • "They should expand it from just a PC, software, or server development platform to other kinds of software or engineering systems so that it is not necessarily built around a normal PC with a server. I would like to see the ability to write my own scripts in my own compiled program or online. Right now, there are things that you can do in the user interface, but you can't do them programmatically and vice versa. I want to see them both. If I can do it in a script, I should be able to do it from the user interface, and if I can do it in the user interface, I should be able to do it in a script."

What other advice do I have?

It is a really complicated product. All DevOps stuff is complicated. The advice that I would give to anybody doing DevOps is to have a goal in mind of what you want to do. Then the product will do what you wanted it to do. I would rate Microsoft Azure DevOps a four out of ten because I don't know it enough to rate it.
    Kleber A
    Chief Operating Officer at a tech company with 11-50 employees
    Allows you to create a bridge for maintenance and support, directly to the client

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage the project. We create the product backlog, and we put our tasks into the DevOps schedule.

• "We can forecast tasks and the number of hours a task will take and can compare it with how long a task actually takes."
    • "The communication could work better, especially for the development team."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Azure DevOps as an 8 out of 10. I would ensure that DevOps' use is planned, in detail, including the implementation before using the software. I would also ensure you have a thorough knowledge of the main components of the system. This will ultimately save hours of work.
    See 46 more Microsoft Azure DevOps Reviews