Oracle BPM Review

What is most valuable?

• Very solid implementation of BPMN 2.0 standards, in all its aspects.
  • It has developmental accelerators, which allow for virtually any customization needs which you may require.
  • That it is Java based is definitely a plus, in our view.
  • It has a rich out-of-the-box feature set.

How has it helped my organization?

We built solutions based on this product in pretty much all domains, from retail to banking and finance, communications and utilities, and various industries (namely, the aerospace industry), as well as public sector, from applications, which deal mainly with approval processes and auditing needs, to a full blown Service Management ERP for a large retailer.

What needs improvement?

Their Case Management set of features is severely lacking and should be a target for immediate improvement dealing with unpredictable processes inside of organizations.

We’ve been using this with our customers for the past seven years. We've been using the 12c version for the past three years.

We had quite a few problems regarding stability, namely in the 11g version. From 12c onwards, we registered a significant quality hike with the latest incarnations being very stable.

No. We have customers generating more than 150,000 processes per day without performance issues.

Technical support is an Achilles' heel for all Oracle products, and this is no exception. It takes forever (several months) to have an issue resolved.

Yes, we used Microsoft technology-based process platforms, such as K2 and Captaris Workflow, but they just didn’t cope with standards (BPMN 2.0) and were particularly weak when you needed a full-fledged, all guns blazing solution.

Setup process improved immensely with the 12c version, and it’s very well documented. No issues.

As with all Oracle products, the licensing over VMware is an issue. You have to license the whole hardware, not just the amount of CPUs you actually use. I would suggest to go to Oracle VM if you need to virtualize this platform.

Also, check the current Oracle process-based platform in the cloud (Oracle Process Cloud Service), as it may serve your needs, and it’s much cheaper to start and run.

Yes. IBM BPM, Appian, K2, and Captaris.

What other advice do I have?

Get a few guys very good an Oracle’s application server suite of products, namely WebLogic, as well as good Oracle DBAs. They will ensure very good platform health and no technical issues with the product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an Oracle Platinum Partner.