SAP ERP Review

Extensive coverage of processes, good integrations, good security, and good stability

What is most valuable?

The best thing that SAP ERP has is the extensive coverage of processes for every field and business unit such as procurement, inventory, financials, asset management, plant maintenance, and production. We can cover up to 99.9% processes of our organization, which is the best thing about this solution.

It also has a very good capability to integrate with other applications. The security and authorization level of SAP ERP is very high. No other solution can match this level.

What needs improvement?

One thing that is lacking in ERP is a good user interface. It is currently very clumsy and complex. Another thing is that reporting capability of SAP ERP is customizable, but it is not very good.

Its development time is also very high if you require specialized technical services. If you want to do any changes to the report or develop a new report, you need people with specialized skills. Business processes are very straightforward and standardized as per the industry standards. However, the way it works is a bit complex, and you need to know a lot of things. There are different things that can be complex for a general user. A lot of information is being provided in ERP. A general user doesn't require all this information, and it creates a lot of confusion. Its learning curve is very high.

I have been using SAP ERP for the last 15 years. We are currently using its latest version, but because SAP has discontinued this product and they have launched SAP S/4HANA, my organization is planning to move to S/4HANA.

It is very stable. SAP has been in the ERP domain for 36 years. It has a very dominant place in the market. There are ERP solutions from Oracle and Microsoft, but SAP ERP really stands out in comparison to other solutions.

Technical support comes along with the license when you purchase a license. It is always there, which is good. I have not faced any issue with technical support. Generally, customers take support from technical partners because SAP technical support can be expensive.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We are considering S/4HANA for our organization. We are also looking at SAP Business One. It looks fair, but it seems to have some limitations. It doesn't seem suitable for big organizations.

What other advice do I have?

I can't recommend this solution because SAP has already planned and given the notification for its discontinuation. They have already launched the next ERP version called S/4HANA, which is better than SAP ERP in terms of user-friendliness, training, complexity, and planning cycles. It seems to have all the functionality of SAP ERP, and it also has technological advancements.

I would rate SAP ERP an eight out of ten. It just needs improvement in terms of user-friendliness or reporting.

More SAP ERP reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with SAP S4HANA
Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.