SOTI MobiControl Review

Saves a lot of time since I don't have to collect devices to push out updates

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is version control. A secondary use case would be remote support.

How has it helped my organization?

What's really nice about SOTI is that I'm able to push out updates through the devices all over. We have plants here, where I'm located, in Perris, California. We also have plants up north in Modesto and Fresno, and they all have the solution. I'm able to create new software updates here and push them out to people all across California.

As far as for remote support, anyone from here or any of our other plants can call me, and I can remote directly onto the device and see what's going on.

It saves a lot of time. Before, when I had any official updates, I'd have to collect all of the hardware and physically plug each one of them in and copy over a file to each one of them. As soon as we got this, it saved me a ton of time on that. Now, I don't even have to collect any of the devices. I can just push out updates and continue working. That's pretty awesome.

What is most valuable?

• It allows you to remote onto the devices. That's really cool.
  • Also, using SOTI MobiControl for file sync purposes. I've really enjoyed the use of the file sync when I'm administrating version control in my program.

What needs improvement?

If the interface was a little bit more intuitive, more easily allowed me to get to where I want to be, that would be a little bit nicer, as far as the file sync goes.

I think there's a lot more functionality to this that I'm not utilizing. I wasn't really given extensive training on the product. I'm using it for just what I need it for, but there's probably a lot more than I could use it for. So more training from the account management team or Professional Services, so that I knew exactly what the functionalities are and the scope of what the solution could bring to us, would be helpful.

Less than one year.

There was a time, for a couple of weeks, maybe a month, that I wasn't able to use SOTI Assist. I'm not sure why. When I tried using it again, more recently, it was working. That was the only issue I ever had. It's been very stable.

It's super-scalable. We started here in Perris with the phones that we're using, and I was able to role this out to two more divisions and it was no issue at all. It was pretty much the same thing: "Assembly-line" them through; got them set up. The app automatically pushed out to all the devices so I didn't have to mess with anything on the device at all. I just went and dropped off the devices, did some training, and they were good to go.

I believe I did reach out to them once. They got to it quickly and resolved my issue.

It was pretty straightforward. Our administrator set up the local server that would run SOTI, and getting all the devices configured was super-easy. The setup went really well.

To get all the devices set up didn't take very long at all. In total we have 60 devices. It took an hour-and-a-half to do all of them.

Our implementation strategy was like an assembly line. I wrote down the last four digits in the serial number, and then as I edited each device, I input the type of device with the serial number, and then just dragged the file onto it.

It's really a time-saver. It allows our plant to keep moving. If we have an issue, I don't have to recall all the devices. It allows things to keep flowing, whereas before, everything had to stop, wasting time and money.

I thought pricing was kind of high, but I believe that SOTI is probably the best out there for this type of software, so there's not much I can do about that.

The licensing is annual, per device.

I tried a bunch of things but there was nothing that really worked the way SOTI does. I don't remember any of the names, but they weren't that good.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for some software where you can manage a large deployment of hardware, and then you would be able to have remote access, I don't really think that there's anything else out there that's like SOTI. As far as advice goes, work with support. I'm pretty sure you can get done anything you need done, with this software.

In terms of users, it's just me right now. I use it for version control and sometimes I send out messages to the users, to keep track of devices, as well; and for remoting in. That's pretty much it. It's just me. I also take care of any maintenance issues.

We don't have plans to increase its usage at this point. We have everything deployed that we need with it. If we ever have more divisions or we get a new device, of course I would use it then, but there are no plans for a major extension right now.

I would rate it at about nine out of ten. It's pretty solid. The interface is decent. If it was a little bit more intuitive, I'd probably give it a ten. Other than that, it works well for what I need it for.