SOTI MobiControl Review

I am unable to automatically push iOS updates remotely and tech support is hit-and-miss

What is our primary use case?

We use it for MDM.

How has it helped my organization?

I can't speak to any improvements to my organization right now because I don't have a functioning MDM. None of my devices are able to pull down applications. I'm at a standstill.

What is most valuable?

I do use the whitelist and blacklist. The admin part, where I'm adding users, is not too bad. It's easy enough to use.

We would use Lockdown if someone lost their iPad. Fortunately, no one has lost one lately.

What needs improvement?

The main feature that we would like to have with Soti is the ability to push an iOS update without having people come to my office. That is the main reason why we went with Soti. And that feature is not working on my version.

There's room for improvement. There are some other little features that would be nice to have, like being able to just have it play a tone. For example, if you misplaced your iPad somewhere in the room, it should be able to play a tone.

They could organize the software a little bit better, where you access things on the console. It seems like I have to click in three different places in order to get it to go to one area. I should be able to access pretty much any point of the server, whatever I need to touch, from a panel, without having to go click on a menu, then click on the profiles, then click over on Server and go back up to the top and click on the type of device that I have, just to get my applications to show. It would be nicer if it were a little bit smoother.

I wish I had the ability to select an app singly and install or refresh it, instead of having to go into the application controls and assign it to a group. I wish there was a spot that listed all my applications. I could go into a single one and refresh or update. It's not very easily accessible, per application. You go in and you have to create a rule and in that rule you list all of the applications you want in there, and that's really your only access point to it. I don't even know, a lot of times, if there's an update available for it because I can't just go into that one application and see.

Less than one year.

I don't find it very stable right now at all. I can't install apps on my devices. That fails. I was having issues with the profiles at one point. The iOS update is not able to be pushed down automatically. Every other day is just another problem.

I think it could handle a bit if it worked right.

Tech support is a hit or miss. You have to go in under the general support and you get a low-level person and I don't know if all of them understand the product very well. I have spent hours on the phone with them.

We were using another MDM called ManageEngine and we switched because we liked some of the features that Soti offered us, but they're not working right now.

The initial setup was definitely a little more complex. We're using the on-premise version, and to get it to work behind our firewalls was a little bit tricky. I am still basically in the process of deploying. I have about 20 devices on it and, as I said, at this point, my server is broken and I've been waiting for a technician to help. He's scheduled to help shortly.

It's been an ongoing process for at least three weeks and every day I'm running into different issues and it's frustrating.

We purchased the software through their sales department and they did not give me a consultant or someone to help with the install.

We probably wouldn't see the savings until everyone is actually on the MDM. We were hoping that we wouldn't have to have people come in for us to push out apps or iOS updates. But I do have to have them come in at the moment to switch from the current MDM to this one. It will be a little while until we see any type of savings.

The solution that we were using costs less, but it didn't offer as much as Soti. It's comparable if you look at it over the five-year term.

We evaluated MaaS360 by IBM. We also looked at SmartMDM. The other option that we liked that Soti has is their VPN on Demand. That actually worked the way we needed it to, where our current one doesn't.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would depend on which version you're buying. If you're buying the standalone and you're running into the same problems that I have, then stay away. But if the cloud version is working, fine. We were told that the standalone is exactly the same as the cloud version but I am not seeing that.

The Kiosk mode has only allowed me to do one app and I have too many apps for that. I really haven't used the share mode very much. Their technicians used it and it was neat to see. I don't use the real-time location services that much because if the person's iPad is not unlocked, it doesn't register. That's a limitation for every MDM because Apple doesn't allow them to have that control.

The solution hasn't helped me with downtime. I have three devices that I have no apps on them and I can't give them back to my executives without the apps on them. The downtime on those three has been some days.

I have about 100 devices that I want to put on it. Their users' roles are field techs that are out in the field talking to our retailers and then there are our executives. We don't have any plans on increasing it because there's no need for more devices in our company. I'm the only one who is deploying it.

Right now I'm pretty frustrated with them, so I'm rating it a four out of ten. They can make it up to me by giving me a single point of contact until I am up and running smoothly. I have two cases right now and I have two different technicians on it. That doesn't make sense.