Symantec Data Loss Prevention Review

Data Insight helps clients gain visibility over data usage, ownership and permissions.

What is most valuable?

The Network Monitor component is the most advanced on the market. Combined with the other Network DLP components (Prevent for Web, Prevent for Email, Discover and Prevent), Symantec offers one of the best network DLP solutions in the market. Another component that is very valuable from my point of view is the Data Insight component that allows the client to have full visibility into the company data.

How has it helped my organization?

Data Insight is a very good component that steps outside the standard DLP functions, but helps the client to gain visibility over the data usage, ownership and permissions.

What needs improvement?

The Symantec DLP solution is very complex, and installation requires many components. Also, Oracle is only the DB used by Symantec.

I have experience with Symantec DLP since 2013.

Sometimes the Oracle instance need to be restarted, when using full Windows deployment.

When in a heavy-usage environment, you can have some latency problems when the DLP management page loads. If the problem persists and the loading time is too high, you should restart the service. Usually, this behavior is very rare and I saw it on the Windows implementation.

When implementing the DLP solution, we use the Symantec sizing guide, and we use the recommended configuration. The Symantec DLP license is per user, so it's hard to have issues with scalability

Usually, we use the local distributor team for issues and they are very OK. When needed, we opened cases at Symantec support, and it was a pretty decent relationship. Some clients complained that they didn't fulfill the request very fast.Starting again this year we have a local vendor presence and that helps us in front of the clients.

Symantec L3 technical support technicians are very good.

Initial setup is straightforward, as you use the same installation kit, and you choose which component to install.

Symantec only sells the DLP software. When you buy, it you should budget the server licenses, the storage and the hardware. Scale your implementation when you have your exact number of the monitored users. Be prepared to extend the resources if you increase the number of users. The Oracle DB is licensed for use only with Symantec.

If you are a small firm with less than 150 users, Symantec can be too pricey.

We also evaluated McAfee DLP, WebSense (Forcepoint) DLP, and Digital Guardian.

What other advice do I have?

We are a system integration firm, and we also sell McAfee DLP and WebSense DLP (Forcepoint).

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am working for a system integrator and I have experience with other vendors.