Symantec Data Loss Prevention Overview

Symantec Data Loss Prevention is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Loss Prevention (DLP) tools. It is most often compared to Forcepoint Data Loss Prevention: Symantec Data Loss Prevention vs Forcepoint Data Loss Prevention

What is Symantec Data Loss Prevention?

Keeping sensitive corporate information safe and compliant has never been easy. But today, you’re faced with a totally new set of data protection challenges. Sensitive information is leaving the safety of your corporate network as more employees share files over consumer cloud storage services and access those files on their own mobile devices. The number of targeted cyber attacks continues to grow, as cybercriminals develop effective new methods for defeating traditional security measures and stealing corporate information. And as all of these factors converge, it becomes increasingly difficult to manage corporate information and protect it against loss and theft.

Symantec Data Loss Prevention (DLP) provides a comprehensive approach to information protection that embraces today’s cloud- and mobile-centered realities. With DLP, you can:

• Discover where data is stored across all of your cloud, mobile, network, endpoint, and storage systems

• Monitor how data is being used, whether your employees are on or off the network

• Protect data from being leaked or stolen—no matter where it’s stored or how it’s used

Symantec Data Loss Prevention is also known as Symantec DLP.

Symantec Data Loss Prevention Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Data Loss Prevention Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Symantec Data Loss Prevention Customers

Hadassah University Hospital, Her Majestys Government (HMG), United Kingdom, Hitachi Consulting Software Services India Pvt Ltd., Hua Nan Bank, Hyundai Department Store Group,
JW Marriott Hotel Seoul, Lake Health, McCann Erickson Israel, Molina Healthcare Inc., PGi, Quilvest Switzerland Limited, State of Nevada Public Employees Benefits Program, Symantec Corporation (Enterprise Security), The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust, The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust (DLP), The Saudi Industrial Property Authority, TSO cloud, Visa, Yunnan Power Grid Company

Symantec Data Loss Prevention Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Data Loss Prevention pricing:
  • "Pricing is reasonable."
  • "The pricing is reasonable."
  • "The price is competitive."

SK
Associate at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Great technical support, good features, and scales well

What is our primary use case?

I am an L2 engineer. I'm doing the part of the implementation and the agent upgrades. If any requirements come in for Oracle upgrading we go forward and make it happen. Apart from that, we are doing agent installation and troubleshooting. Moreover, we'll be in contact with the SCCM team, and give packages to them. They will push the package to all the machines for the SCCM. We can connect to the virtual team and do the other lines for server backups or upgrades.

• "We can integrate with some other tools such as Splunk, which is very useful."
  • "In the object capture recognition, which we implemented recently, there are a lot of false positives that have been happening."

What other advice do I have?

We are implementors. As of now, in my current company, I was designed to DLP around seven months back. My previous company is a service-based company. Normally we will connect with other partners. Usually, we are service providers, so we'll take the project from Symantec and we will implement the approach for our business partners. Then we'll go directly to the onset location and we'll stay there and we'll do the implementation and we'll create a policy, as per the requirements. We'll do the handout documents to the management team, and we'll relocate them to the local engineers. These kinds…
Yasin Bin Wasim
Information Security Engineer at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Stable and users only need one policy, but not very user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

I use it in my own environment for data loss prevention. I installed it for testing purposes. I've logged some of my data through different policies. However, I've only done this at the endpoint channel, not on, for example, email channels.

• "There's only one policy needed to implement for all channels."
  • "The solution is not user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to other organizations, however, I would warn them it's difficult to maintain due to its architecture.
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Data Loss Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TN
‎Head: Group Legal at Optiflex
Enables us to see people who are accessing or try to access information they are not supposed to be accessing based on their level of classification

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the endpoint machines within the environment.

• "I'm able to track everyone who is trying to send information outside the environment and to know if they are not supposed to be sending it. I'm also able to see the people who are accessing or maybe try to access the information they are not supposed to be accessing based on their level of classification. It gives me overall control of who has got access to what and at what point. And who can do what with specific information."
  • "In a majority of cases, most of the companies are using DLP for endpoint sessions, where you have a user that might be communicating information outside of the company. However, they forget there are actual interfaces that can directly communicate with either the database or other files within the data center that uses end-to-end encryption. In those cases, you might need things like your DLP to be able to monitor and block some of that. The solution needs to catch information communicated through the data center on the server-side."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. I would advise others that the solution does need careful planning before attempting an implementation. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
PG
Senior IT Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Great exfiltration capabilities, very reliable, and offers good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to detect the exfiltration.

• "The exfiltration capabilities are great. You can put all of these rules in the product to detect the patterns and text."
  • "The database is a problem for us, as it's running on Oracle and not everybody likes that."

What other advice do I have?

We are Symantec partners. We are using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number, however. Overall it's an excellent product. It helps you reach your goal and solve some issues. We did it in six months. It's really an excellent product. There is a bit of a legacy component about the database and the way it works. We can see that the evolution of the technology was a bit slow for the backend, however, the product itself is solid. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. We've been largely quite satisfied with its capabilities.
AT
Manager Cyber Forensic at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Good dashboard and reporting, but it does not detect monitor and file sharing to RDP, and the support is poor

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for data loss prevention and confidential classification for internal public architecture. We are trying to prevent the data loss of sensitive files that are confidential, and not let them out of the organization's control.

• "The dashboard, management section, and reporting are good."
  • "The dashboard, management section, and reporting are good."
  • "There are some features that are not available which are required by every data loss prevention solution."
  • "It is very difficult to log in to create a support ticket because no one is available to support our queries."

What other advice do I have?

Technical support is very poor. I am frustrated and irritated by the issue, so it is difficult to offer advice or recommend this solution. If someone would ask me if they should implement this solution, I would have to say no, only because of the support issue. It is a very big concern. I would rate this solution a four out of ten.
BJ
Assistant Manager at AmBank Group
Easy to manage and use with good dashboards

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for the prevention of data leakage mostly from email and external drives or thumb drives. It's also used for setting certain policies.

• "We find the product is easy to manage and maintain."
  • "We're not sure if there was an issue or a bug on the system recently because as of right now if someone sends out a compressed encrypted file, the DLP won't scan it."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We aren't a Symantec partner or reseller. We recently upgraded to version 15. We like the solution. Currently, there are no plans to switch to a different product. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. I'd rate it eight out of ten overall.
Sasikumar P
Sr. Manager - IT at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
An unstable security solution with poor technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data loss prevention.

• "The tool's really working well, and the agents are good."
  • "Technical support is pathetic."

What other advice do I have?

Unfortunately, I can't recommend Symantec DLP to potential users. This is because the support isn't good. So in that aspect, unfortunately, I cannot recommend Symantec. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Symantec DLP a three.
AA
Information Security Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Enables us to protect sensitive and confidential data

What is our primary use case?

• "We work in the banking field. We deploy data loss prevention. Our branch protects our clients' data, credit card numbers, account numbers, and other confidential and sensitive data."
  • "I would like for the administrator management interface to improve. It's kind of old and slow. Updating it would make this solution better."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because there are certain things that need improvement. My advice to someone considering this solution is to look at your needs. Try a few products because there are some features that exist in other solutions like Forcepoint that do not exist in Palo Alto. You should choose a solution based on your needs. I would recommend Symantec depending on the needs of the clients, but for me, Symantec is the best on the market.
See 2 more Symantec Data Loss Prevention Reviews
Product Categories
Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
Download our free Symantec Data Loss Prevention Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.