Symantec Data Loss Prevention Review

Enables us to check attachments and to know what data is being sent

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, what was happening was that anyone could send any data outside. We now know who is sending what data and where. We can then question them: "Why have you sent that data?"

What is most valuable?

In DLP one of the most valuable features is that you can check attachments.

In addition, it gives me the data such that, if someone is using a browser and email, I'm able to figure out who is sending the data.

What needs improvement?

Symantec customer support is very bad.

We are finding delayed response if the macOS is updated. They need to make sure their solution is compatible.

Also, if any data at all is going outside of our network and it matches our screening it has to be captured and we should see it detailed properly: Who is sending it, where they're sending it.

The stability has met our expectations.

I'm not good with the scalability. It's not capturing everything. If someone's trying to send from Gmail to some other browser or if someone is using Safari in a Windows machine, under those conditions it's not captured.

This is the first product of its kind for us. Nobody seemed to know much about this product but we figured out how to use it, and the vendor gave us training, so we have been able to handle it.

The initial setup is a little complex. But once you go through it you get used to it. After using this product it becomes easy to handle, easy to understand. Our deployment took about two months for 2,000 users.

Our strategy was simple. I needed to implement it for every user so that we could monitor any data.

We used the vendor's support and it was nice working with them. They helped a lot when it came to the deployment.

I wasn't involved in the pricing negotiations but from what I know the pricing is good, it's not too expensive. If you negotiate you can get a good price.

We evaluated multiple solutions, such as McAfee.

What other advice do I have?

We have around 1,500 users in HR, admin, the finance department, and IT. For maintenance of the solution we have two people. It's covering all users at the moment so there are no plans to increase usage.

I rate the solution at eight out of ten. It is fulfilling our requirements.