Symantec Data Loss Prevention Review

Endpoint modules provide us the protection we need

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to protect data from being stolen from the company. It protects and monitors data that moves out without us knowing about it.

What is most valuable?

The features I like most about this solution is the endpoint modules because it gives us the protection we need.

What needs improvement?

I do have a problem with the database. It uses the Oracle database and sometimes this causes some problems. I would prefer it to use the MS SQL database because it has a more stable connection than the Symantec database.

I've been using this solution for a year and six months now.

I think it is very stable. The only problem is the Oracle database where the connection sometimes works through the enforce server. But other than that it's very stable.

The scalability is good because some of the environments we are implementing it in, has 7,000 users. Others have 1,000 users. So it all depends. My job is only to implement it and enforce the policies at the customer.

The technical support is perfect. If there is any problem or if anything goes wrong, the technical support team answers me immediately and they solve the problem, so it's a very good technical support team.

I used Forcepoint DB and the McAfee DB. I implement all of them, so I didn't switch.

The initial setup was not complex and it was very easy to install the Symantec database. It comes with a guide that explains every small step in detail. The deployment took about two to three days. However, if you install all the modules, it may take up to two weeks.

I am an integrator for this solution and I work mostly alone.

I compared this solution with Cisco Stealthwatch. And I work on solutions like Forcepoint DP too. But I prefer Symantec DLP and I usually recommend this solution first when a client asks about the different options. It is, however, the more expensive option. So if the client's budget doesn't allow it, I recommend Forcepoint.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend others to read the manual carefully before they start implementing it because it explains every small detail on how it works.

I will rate it a nine out of ten.