Trend Micro OfficeScan Review

Offers firewall protection for our web servers in production and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use Trend Micro OfficeScan for endpoint and server security and protection in a small enterprise organization.

How has it helped my organization?

Other major components can be integrated with the OfficeScan solution and managed through a centralized console. We haven't started using all of them yet. We are going to use the DLP data leakage prevention component, soon. It can be added as a plug-in. It's just a separate license.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is most valuable with Trend Micro OfficeScan. I value the security provided. We haven't had any specific incidents while using it. It's doing its primary job quite well. It is also well integrated with other Trend Micro Solutions that we use, via Trend Micro Control Manager.

I would emphasize the ease of use and the quality of operations.

What needs improvement?

We had a few compatibility issues while updating certain drivers. We had a few occasions where we had to temporarily turn off the solution on our clients' computers to upgrade the drivers.

It's not completely the fault of the antivirus provider. The problem is with the Microsoft Windows system and the drivers themselves. It's a shared responsibility.

Trend Micro needs some kind of included warning when OfficeScan senses that somebody is updating some drivers that have known issues. I have the same problem occur also with other products, so it's not specific to Trend Micro OfficeScan. It's a typical problem.

In this company, we've been using Trend Micro OfficeScan for 15 years.

Trend Micro is quite stable. We didn't have too many problems. There were, in the past, a few occasions where we had some problems. That was mostly related to new Microsoft Windows versions.

Lately, it's been quite stable and we are satisfied with it.

For the scalability, we are quite small. We are not a large company. We have around 60 licenses that cover both endpoints and servers (essentially, the same client is used everywhere, just the policies are different). For that number of licenses, scalability is not a problem.

Their technical support is good. We didn't have many requests. I had one request recently, and it was very fast. They provided us an adequate solution.

Trend Micro OfficeScan was used from the beginning to replace some solutions. It has been used for the last 15 years. We are mostly a Trend Micro shop.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. There are a lot of options after you set up the solution. After the initial setup, it's quite easy to do. It's not complex.

We acquired it through a reseller. They are also a systems integrator. They provide other solutions and support for us. We took the Trend Micro solutions from them.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the platform a nine.