Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Would be good to have ability to backup physical servers but product is breath of fresh air compared to similar products

Valuable Features

I have managed Veeam for several years and the user experience, the minimal complexity of management have been a breath of fresh air compared to experiences with similar products. I have had issues with other products from implementation to upgrade of versions and basic restore of data. Veeam has simplified the upgrade process and made it straightforward. I have experienced no issues with the installers. I can’t say I’m lucky so I have to say the product has been solid for me.

The value of the feature set is a difficult question. The instant restore is a great feature knowing that in the event of an outage our downtime will be minimal, as well as the Exchange explorer, the ability to restore files so granular to an entire VM is exceptional. I would also have to mention the Veeam One monitoring tool is used daily. The ability to have Grandfather, Father, and Son backups is extremely useful when preparing backup for tape or offsite. The compression and de-duplication capabilities for space savings and off-site backups.

Improvements to My Organization

To us the ability to restore an entire VM for Development and User Acceptance Testing is invaluable the need to Develop continues to grow and Veeam supplies us the ability to manage this seamlessly. Utilizing the de-duplication and compression built into Veeam we are able to keep backup longer and have the ability to perform more frequent backups.

Room for Improvement

I do have a need ever so small to have the ability to backup physical servers, this is not something Veeam offers.

Use of Solution

I have been a Veeam customer for the past 4 Years.

Deployment was very easy and straight forward. Upgrade process has also been straight forward.

In the infancy of the product I did encounter an instability with the backup chain becoming corrupt with every failed backup this issue has been resolved in the newer releases of Veeam.

Scaling Veeam out was as simple as applying licenses to the new host that I wanted to protect or use as a target for my replication jobs.

We purchased our product threw a third party and the need for customer service interaction has not been warranted. We were able to view a demonstration of the product live at a technical event.

I have had to work with support on a few issues early in the game. I found them to be very responsive and quick to resolve the issue. The professionalism and knowledge was at very high level.

I had originally used a different solution for backup and replication. I thought it was clunky and issue ridden but it worked for the situation I had. I was even looking at improved versions of the product when I came across Veeam at a vendor showcase. I was blown away by the manageability and scalability of veeam and after a little more research ordered it. I have not looked back since. Veeam has done everything it promised and with every release there have been great new tools and advances in the product.

Now it has been several years since the initial setup but the setup was very straightforward, the agentless backup solution is easy to install and connect. The complex part of the setup was the decision of what database server I wanted to use.

Implementation Team

Veeam was implemented by an in-house team. Training for installation and configuration was found on Veeam website and support was ready to assist if any bumps were found.

ROI

I cannot give a dollar amount, but I can say the ROI with Veeam data deduplication has saved on time with backup window shrinkage and the storage required decreased substantially.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The original setup cost was very minimal, licensing was less expensive than the competitors and the equipment needed was purchased previously for the in place backup solution. Day-to-day expenses have also dropped with smaller lighter backups the window has shrunk from around 10 Hrs. to an area of 4 Hrs. This enables us to use this time for other mission critical task.

Other Solutions Considered

I had evaluated vRanger and Symantec backup products, both have come a long way since the evaluation but at the time of our Veeam purchase it was the product that had the features we needed.

Other Advice

Download the free version and give it a try. I believe you will find what you are looking for.

1 Comment
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

If you are looking for physical server backup try the Endpoint Backup product. It can integrate with Veeam repositories and works very well. I have it on my Veeam servers which are physical and it sends backups to a Veeam Repository. Also the ability to create recovery media is exceptional as it can be a bootable image.

04 September 15