Veeam Backup & Replication OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veeam Backup & Replication is the #1 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Rubrik: Veeam Backup & Replication vs Rubrik

What is Veeam Backup & Replication?

Veeam® Availability Suite™ delivers something fundamentally different — Availability for the Always-On Enterprise™ — leveraging IT investments in server virtualization, modern storage and the cloud to help organizations meet today’s service-level objectives, enabling recovery of any IT service and related applications and data within seconds and minutes.

Veeam Backup & Replication is also known as Veeam Backup and Replication, Veeam Availability Suite.

Veeam Backup & Replication Buyer's Guide

Download the Veeam Backup & Replication Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Veeam Backup & Replication Customers

Vodafone, American Standard Brands, Welch’s, University of Florida, Tata Global Beverages Limited, National Bank of Abu Dhabi, Hirslanden Private Hospital Group, MacLean-Fogg Company

Veeam Backup & Replication Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veeam Backup & Replication pricing:
  • "They have a free edition that can back up up to 10 VMs or physical servers. Small and medium businesses can use this edition until they can afford to get a license, and after they get a license, they just activate it on the same console. That's the amazing thing about it."
  • "We purchase a license annually."
  • "It's a proper price, as it isn't an issue for what Veeam Backup & Replication is giving us. Obviously, we are paying licensing for our physical VMware environment. It also depends on how the VMware environment is on the side. We have a few very big nodes. So, we need a few licenses and maybe if people had more nodes and sockets and each node was managing less information, machine supplies could be different."

Veeam Backup & Replication Reviews

TM
Account Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable, affordable and user friendly

• "Veeam Backup & Replication is a great alternative to what is out there. Some of the backups just allow an agent backup to the cloud. You can back up a thousand different ways, but this is a great way to keep a customer and a company in compliance in that they've got their data secure onsite and offsite. The data being transferred to the NAS at the customer's location and also the data being sent to the cloud is encrypted in transit and it's also encrypted at rest so that nobody is going to be able to hack into that. No one will have the keys to do that."
  • "Veeam is good up until 300 VMs."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case with Veeam Backup & Replication is to backup critical data. We would recommend that a person put on a Veeam backup service so that in a disaster recovery scenario you set what has to come back up first because that is going to be the critical information that has to go back up as quickly as possible. You can put anything on critical servers, but we recommend that you use it for critical data that it is going to be restored within a four hour timeframe.

Veeam Backup & Replication can be deployed as agent-based or you can set it up to replicate back to a NAS, some sort of device onsite, so that a copy of your data goes to the device onsite and another copy goes to a data center for a backup as well. Then, if that server crashes, the device that's at the location has the latest copy of the good data from where they get the backup.

How has it helped my organization?

Veeam Backup & Replication has most definitely improved our organization because it saves the IT a lot of headache.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is very, very easy to understand. We do demonstrations all the time with customers just to show them. If they've lost particular files because of a server going down, we can retrieve those files for them and quickly bring those files back up. So in a disaster recovery where you've got a location that's either been hit with a tornado, a hurricane, an earthquake, or whatever the disaster might be, this company and customer has to be up, then this data is secured offsite as well, and can be pulled down either to a VM, a virtual machine, or to another physical server. It is just a matter of how fast your internet connection is.

What needs improvement?

Until internet connectivity becomes standard all over the country and all over the world, as far as minimum speeds, the main thing would be just making sure that your data is being transferred as quickly as possible, that the data transfers are seated correctly, and that the replication takes place and is monitored. The service can be managed or unmanaged, it just depends on the customer's IT ability as to how much or how little we can help.

There is always room for improvement on anything, but at this point I think it's perfect. But I'm sure there are other things that customers are wanting that Veeam could probably put in their next update or patch. But at this point I don't have any information on that.

As companies grow, it just depends on what their needs are as to what we can help them with as far as the recovery is concerned. Larger businesses with more than 300 VMs would be a perfect scenario for Rubrik. Veeam, I think is good up until 300 VMs. With other services that we have, it could be lower than a hundred VMs, but it seems that Veeam is in a good spot.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for probably the last four years.

This solution runs very smoothly unless there is a server that goes offline on a customer's site that we don't know about, but other than that, the service is rock solid.

The scalability is pretty much straightforward. It's just like updating software. For anybody that has a little bit of sense about how to update services it is pretty straightforward and simple.

Our clients are a mixture of small, medium and large businesses and they are all over the country.

I do sales, so I'm the one that is responsible for selling the sizzle. My IT folks, my engineers, are the ones that face Veeam the company. I would say that the majority of the companies that we deal with in backup and recovery are very, very responsive and I feel Veeam is the same way. It's a great software package, it is inexpensive and it does a lot of things that IT companies and people in general want to see.

We use EVault software and Carbonite backups, it just depends on the customer. If you can tolerate 12 to 24 hours of being out of service, then we have other backup services that are right in the ballpark in pricing, but just older technologies. Nowadays everything is like McDonald's and I want it now. I want my hamburger now and I want my data now. It is getting to where customers want that faster RTO and RPO so that they can have their company back up and making money as quickly as possible.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward if you've got a person that knows how things go. Most midsize and large companies will have an IT person on staff that would understand that. If they don't understand it, of course our guys, our engineers, can train them for that and show them which way to go. But normally IT people are pretty familiar with dashboards.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Veeam Backup & Replication would be to definitely demo it and see what you think about it because you can't try it before you buy it, and see how it works in your environment. I'm not too sure if there are any trials that go on for a month at a time, but it depends on the customer. If they decide that this is something good for them, then we move forward with it and adjust as we go. But the majority of our customers know what Veeam is and have seen the product out there, because I send a lot of information out via LinkedIn and send emails to my customers about those services. It would just depend on whether it was an attorney's office, a hospital, whatever he is, but those folks would want to have their data as quickly as possible.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Veeam Backup & Replication a 10.

Hybrid Cloud
KEREM CEBI
Director of Professional Services | Senior Solution Architect | Trainer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
 Veeam provides a single platform for modernizing backup, accelerating hybrid cloud and securing your data. Simple to install and run, flexible enough to fit into any environment and always reliable.

• "Veeam Is very useful for most environments and can scale up in most environments - such as Amazon or Azure."
  • "I cannot recall coming across any features that were lacking."

What is our primary use case?

Veeam Backup & Replication delivers dependable availability across all cloud, virtual and physical workloads with a simple, flexible and reliable solution. You can protect your data no matter the location or workload type with powerful backup and instant recovery options.

We are a system-integrator company and have a platinum sales-partnership with Veeam Software in Turkey. And also we are giving professional services to our customers on behalf of Veeam within the framework of the global VASP program. We take advantage of this experience to integrate many different environments as an output.

Regarding to this exprerince I can say these ;  Some of our customers use Veeam Cloud Connect platforms for off-site backups and VM replicas, in order to copy and handle disaster recovery scenarios. Some of them are just using the backup infrastructure in their on-premise platforms. And some customers have multiple sites by their own.  They are doing disaster scenarios on their own sites and they are not using any other cloud infrastructure. If you have a Veeam product, there are many scenarios you can consider.

How has it helped my organization?

Today’s rapid pace of technological innovation is forcing your digital and physical worlds to collide – and it’s also transforming the way you operate, regardless of your industry. This digital transformation can either make or break your business. Because, in the digital world, your customers expect 24/7/365 Availability.

For today’s enterprises, this means that expectations for SLAs for data and application uptime can be revolutionized. You no longer need to be constrained by the RTPOs of hours or days of legacy solutions – you can think in minutes or seconds instead – for all applications, data, and workloads on-premises or in the cloud.

Veeam Backup & Replication provides an improvement in this framework

What is most valuable?

It's good for backup performance management and backup window management.

There are a lot of features to choose from.

Veeam provided different advantages in many categories in cloud, virtual and physical workloads. With the CDP and Linux Hardened Repository components that came in the latest version, it started to provide serious innovations in terms of business continuity and backup data accessibility.

Veeam customers have the confidence knowing their data is always available, on any app, any data in  any cloud.

It' has user-friendly GUI and customers can easily manage this software on their own.

The initial setup is easy. The stability is good. The solution can scale. Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

Our customers seem to be quite happy with the solution. I cannot recall coming across any features that were lacking.

We were waiting for two years for the continuous data protection features and it was released with this last version in February. And in v11 there are so much improvements made. They all are useful. There is no other feature request from our side. While continuing to use v11, additional requests may of course occur.

It's been a while. I've been using the solution for about eight years.I have a good amount of experience with the product.

There is a sure backup feature to check backup data is stable and accessable or not . SureBackup is the Veeam technology that lets you test VM backups and check if you can recover data from them. You can verify any restore point of a backed-up VM. During a SureBackup job, Veeam Backup & Replication performs “live” verification: scans the backed-up data for malware, boots the VM from the backup in the isolated environment, runs tests for the VM, powers the VM off and creates a report on recovery verification results.

The solution offers very good scalability, both on-premises and on the cloud. Small, medium or large enterprises can easily use the solution and scale it to meet their needs.

There's a proxy usage mentality regarding Veeam resources and regarding an increased ratio. You can add an additional proxy to Veeam platforms and you can follow a parallel tasking process. There is no off time or maintenance schedule needed to scale out this environment.

We've been in touch with technical support. We find them to be helpful and responsive. They are also kind. We do not have a case that's not resolved in the support section. We are satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's very easy to implement. A company wouldn't have any trouble with it.

For large environments, there must be architectured guidelines that must be followed before implementation. For our corporate accounts, that have three physical hosts and are running a VMware cluster with three hosts for a fixed CPU socket environment. It's a basic environment, and there is no additional architectural design needed before the implementation. In that case, the installation steps took two hours, maybe with operating system installations. After two hours the customer could try to get back the servers in his environment. It's good for backup scenarios and also for failover scenarios, like management access issues for Veeam Software. It's also more useful to restore the coniguration database and restore from a backup catalog. If they are all simple processes for customers, they can manage these scenarios very easily.

In large environments

As product implementation becomes more sophisticated, Veeam recognizes the growing need to identify entrusted and authorized partners who possess the highest expertise level and are able to deliver high-quality services to ensure that our users are completely satisfied. We are the first and only certified professional services partner In Turkey.  Maintenance services is important in enterprise large accounts.

It changes for every customer.

The pricing varies considerably. It changes project by project. Some of our customers can get special prices from vendors. Some of them can't.

There are some environments that change in terms of product support, however, for pricing, there are two models in Veeam. One of them is CPU socket licensing and one of them is Universal (instance-based) licensing. It just depends on the customer environment.

What other advice do I have?

We strongly recommend this software, due to the IT operations efficiency and data reliability. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. Veeam is the best.

Private Cloud
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a system-integrator company and have a platinum sales-partnership ( value-added reseller) with Veeam Software in Turkey. And also we are giving professional services to our customers on behalf of Veeam within the framework of the global VASP program. We are giving consultancy for veeam products in all cloud (private,public,hybrid,on-premieses) infrastructures
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MA
Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Flexible and scalable, supports physical systems and VMs, integrates with major applications, and has a free edition

• "It is a flexible, simple, and scalable software-based solution. It has agentless functionality with specific hypervisors and agent-based functionality with specific operating systems. It gives you the flexibility to use your own hardware and back up physical Windows, Linux, IBM AIX, and Oracle Solaris systems as well as VMware VMs, Hyper-V VMs, and Nutanix VMs from one console. It also has integration with major applications that most companies are using, such as Active Directory, SQL, Exchange, or SharePoint. It has integrations, not just for the backup on the image, host layer, or hypervisor, but also for performing an application-consistent backup. It is helpful in backing up to the tape, cloud, DR site, etc. It is really flexible. It is really amazing that you can restore any backup on VMware, Azure, or AWS. As compared to the other solutions in the market. Veeam has really integrated a lot in the past years. It has the best performance and perfect replication."
  • "Veeam Backup Replication has agents for Linux, but they are not supporting Cluster Shared Volumes. It would be great to have agents for Linux be cluster-aware, just like the Windows agents. That's the main pain point. In addition, we should be able to handle the automation of Oracle backups from the backup server. We should be able to schedule, control, and deploy them from the backup server rather than relying on scripts and/or the system you are backing up to perform the backup. Currently, we install the plug-in inside Oracle VMs and then use crontabs to handle the task schedule on each machine for scheduling the backups. Veeam Backup Replication should also support the automation of Nutanix backups from the backup server, not from the proxy. The other not so major thing is that they don't support legacy systems because Veeam is a new company. It is not as old as other companies. They don't support physical workloads that are really old, which a major challenge, but they do have a point. Legacy systems should be virtualized, and if they're virtualized, then the backup is not an issue with Veeam, but some customers like the physical setup, and they don't want to have it virtual."

What is most valuable?

It is a flexible, simple, and scalable software-based solution. It has agentless functionality with specific hypervisors and agent-based functionality with specific operating systems. It gives you the flexibility to use your own hardware and back up physical Windows, Linux, IBM AIX, and Oracle Solaris systems as well as VMware VMs, Hyper-V VMs, and Nutanix VMs from one console.

It also has integration with major applications that most companies are using, such as Active Directory, SQL, Exchange, or SharePoint. It has integrations, not just for the backup on the image, host layer, or hypervisor, but also for performing an application-consistent backup. It is helpful in backing up to the tape, cloud, DR site, etc. It is really flexible. It is really amazing that you can restore any backup on VMware, Azure, or AWS.

As compared to the other solutions in the market. Veeam has really integrated a lot in the past years. It has the best performance and perfect replication.

What needs improvement?

Veeam Backup Replication has agents for Linux, but they are not supporting Cluster Shared Volumes. It would be great to have agents for Linux be cluster-aware, just like the Windows agents. That's the main pain point.

In addition, we should be able to handle the automation of Oracle backups from the backup server. We should be able to schedule, control, and deploy them from the backup server rather than relying on scripts and/or the system you are backing up to perform the backup. Currently, we install the plug-in inside Oracle VMs and then use crontabs to handle the task schedule on each machine for scheduling the backups. Veeam Backup Replication should also support the automation of Nutanix backups from the backup server, not from the proxy.

The other not so major thing is that they don't support legacy systems because Veeam is a new company. It is not as old as other companies. They don't support physical workloads that are really old, which a major challenge, but they do have a point. Legacy systems should be virtualized, and if they're virtualized, then the backup is not an issue with Veeam, but some customers like the physical setup, and they don't want to have it virtual.

I have been using this solution for the past three years.

It is scalable. We have many users of this solution.

Veeam doesn't focus on a particular segment. Small, medium, and large businesses can use it for backup. Solutions such as Veritas, Commvault, and Rubrik are more focused on the enterprise segment, and they are not really SMB friendly. Veeam has really excelled on that part.

If you are a small business today, you'll grow tomorrow, and Veeam will grow with you. There are certain scenarios where Veeam is not a perfect fit, but for a vast majority of scenarios, Veeam is basically the number one solution in the market, especially now with their new release in which they have a new feature to conduct beautiful backups to Linux repositories.

The main challenge for small and medium businesses has been the investment in backup storage that can provide such features. Most of the solutions that can provide such features are pretty expensive, and they weren't an option for small and medium businesses. Now, they can just install Veeam on a Windows Server, Linux, Ubuntu, and other systems and configure the backups and store the backups on that storage itself.

Their support is perfect for the Veeam Backup Replication for VMware and Hyper-V workload because Veeam started as a backup company for backing up VMware and Hyper-V environments. Now they have agents all over the place. They have lots of products and plug-ins. If you have an issue with a specific item of a pretty new product and the team behind is not so big, you can run into issues in terms of the response time and resolution in a timely fashion.

In certain situations, you need to contact a specific team, but they don't have a unified support model in which you just open a support case, and then they figure out internally which team to assign it to. You have to pick the team to which your issue belongs. So, if your problem is with VMware or Hyper-V backups or restores, you can open a case with the Veeam Backup Replication team. If you have an issue with the Agent for Windows, you need to open a case with the Agent for Windows team. If you have any issue with Nutanix backups, you need to open a case with the respective team. Sometimes, you get into a loop between teams because an issue can be complex and applicable to multiple teams. When a case is going from one team to another team, you get a lot of emails. Other than that, their support is great.

The installation doesn't take much time. It also depends on the customer environment, but installing the software is pretty much "next, next, next", and then you just have to wait for the installation to complete. It relies on your CPU, memory, and disk resources, so the faster your server is, the faster it can happen. Some installations can take one hour, and some installations can take 15 minutes. It really depends on the environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. It can be deployed on-prem or on the cloud. They also have a new cloud-specific product. They have an agentless backup for Azure Cloud, AWS Cloud, and Google Cloud, but you can still use Veeam Backup Replication on the cloud.

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a nine out of ten.

MV
Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Provides a simple, scalable, sustainable repository

• "While I do not recall whether the latest version is 10.0 or 11.0 I do know that it allows one to make a back up repository that is very scalable and simple."
  • "Occasionally, in the course of upgrading one's virtualization platform, the backup can be ruined."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is so good to use. It allows for proof of concept. One can run a test on the database, move backups from one server to another, do file restoration or make use of portal storage features.

Backup and storage is very fast, reducing what would otherwise take hours to minutes. Veeam was designed for virtual environments. The first year it was involved in supporting VMware virtual environments.

What is most valuable?

While I do not recall whether the latest version is 10.0 or 11.0 I do know that it allows one to make a back up repository that is very scalable and simple. This can be added from multiple different levels, in respect of a single disc, through employment of cluster servers, data domain storage, or even tape library. This means the repository is very scalable, as the growth of data in the past years has presented a big problem. Cloud services can be employed as a back up repository.

While I may not be the user testing each new market product, I am very happy with the solution's scalability. It boasts a support team that is good and fast and can conduct its affairs in a host of languages. When it comes to instances involving support, I can discern the differences over the past two months. Technical support is fast, helpful and provides good advice.

What needs improvement?

While we do not consider it to be a big deal, I know there are other users who consider the running of the latest version of VMware vCenter while making use of the virtual environment to be an issue. One must update VMware or Veeam with care because of the compatibility issue involved. Installation and support must be taken into account.

While strength, complexity and compatibility of the solution may pose issues for others, they do not for me.

I feel the solution to be user-friendly.

The monitoring, reporting and dashboard features are also fine.

I am not aware of implementation issues and I have no concerns about the solution's security or stability. I have even tested the setup and it can be automated. At present, I see no need for an increase as I am not making 100 percent use of the product.

This said, the limits of Windows integration on servers should be addressed. Many shops use only Linux and do not wish to run the Windows Server policy. As they have people with an understanding of Linux, they do not see the need to employ another person merely for backing up the server.

Nowadays one can run Microsoft SQL Server on Linux without any problem, perhaps with this same ability being afforded to Windows Server.

Occasionally, in the course of upgrading one's virtualization platform, the backup can be ruined. I know of people who do downgrade virtualization out of concerns for the success of a data center backup run. For me, personally, this does not present an issue as I am more conservative in how I conduct my administrative functions.

We have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for three or four years.

The solution is absolutely stable.

The solution is absolutely scalable.

I am absolutely satisfied with technical support. We benefit from it completely. Its multi-lingual character is definitely important.

We were using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for 15 years before making use of the solution, although I don't know what the product is called at present, as it replaced a branded IBM Protect product.

We were using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager at a time when the majority of our data servers were running on physical machines. From IBM's perspective, the licensing has become more involved since virtualization became increasingly prevalent. While it was not in my purview, the prohibitive nature of the product led us to migrate to Veeam software and to procure a different license.

While IBM Tivoli Storage Manager was considered to be the leading solution of its time, it was also very complicated.

The installation involves a single package and is pretty simple. This is in comparison to the installation of the DB2 of Tivoli. Now, the installation is done in a single stroke and is so simple and the solution so nice. While we don't really make use of it at the moment, several years ago we constituted one of the main monitors of the virtual environment.

The installation time is contingent on its scale as it varies based on the size of the environment. Another factor would involve the installation of disparate versions for different machines, such as concerns a proxy repository. A further possibility is to install everything in a single machine in virtual storage.

I would put the main installation at 20 minutes and add another hour for configurations, such as those involving emails and reports.

I consider the installation to be fully completed once I can carry out a task. We are talking about one or two hours. This takes into account the different applications for disparate environments in Veeam's environment.

Overall, we have two people who are responsible for deployment and maintenance as it relates to everything involving the physical backup and virtual environment.

We purchase a license annually.

When it comes to the cost, IBM software is significantly more expensive than the solution for our environment, although we are talking about four years ago.

What other advice do I have?

We have two Veeam servers in two disparate sites.

The solution is not deployed on the cloud. One of the servers is physical and the other virtual, with the support and backup capabilities comprising 50 kilobytes of SSD storage.

I would recommend the solution to others.

There are approximately 700 people making use of the solution in our organization.

I rate Veeam Backup & Replication as a ten out of ten.

MN
Manager of Information Systems at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Steady, scalable, and works well for daily backups and replicating a large chunk of data

• "WAN Accelerator helps tremendously with replicating our data because we have a large chunk of data that gets replicated between our two facilities."
  • "The SME that helped us with the implementation would probably have more insight because he used it way more than we have. We just use it for making sure that our backups are done daily, and the replications are being performed between sites. We haven't had any issues at all with it other than the fact that there is a slight process to acquire additional licenses if we want to expand our number of hosts. That's because it is based on the number of cores and threads that are used."

What is our primary use case?

We use it at our site for our nightly backup and for disaster recovery (DR) replication to another site. So, we use WAN Accelerator. We use scheduled copies to another datastore, and then, of course, we do it for our backups for SQL servers and other servers.

What is most valuable?

WAN Accelerator helps tremendously with replicating our data because we have a large chunk of data that gets replicated between our two facilities. We're getting ready to purchase Nimble Storage that has Veeam integration, and it is supposed to improve our replication even more.

What needs improvement?

The SME that helped us with the implementation would probably have more insight because he used it way more than we have. We just use it for making sure that our backups are done daily, and the replications are being performed between sites. We haven't had any issues at all with it other than the fact that there is a slight process to acquire additional licenses if we want to expand our number of hosts. That's because it is based on the number of cores and threads that are used.

I have been using this solution for three or four years.

So far, it has been pretty steady and stable. I haven't run into any type of issues with it.

It is scalable. What they definitely don't recommend is running it off a virtual machine rather than its own physical machine, but then we have some replication servers that we use for VM. So, the actual Veeam installation is set up on a physical Dell server, and then it is almost like they are sub engines. You would use these other processes to kick off the replication for whatever you want to be replicated to your DR. So, it is not all functioning from a single server. We have like three or four of those forms of replications.

The tech support and the training are pretty good. I sent one of my former employees, who was an intern and also my main Veeam administrator, for the training. He said it was very technical, and there was a lot to digest. He couldn't just do a transfer of knowledge because someone would have to go through that program to get a good understanding of how the solution works. He had gone through a lot of reference documents that came from it, and based on his feedback, it was pretty good.

We used to have Symantec Netbackup, and we replaced it with Veeam. Symantec Netbackup was clunky in terms of the upgrades. The other issue was that you couldn't throttle the replication bandwidth.

It had the capability of doing a DR replication, but if you fall a couple of versions behind, there was no gradual update. If you fell behind by four versions or something like that, it was a nightmare trying to get it upgraded to the latest version. We had to have a consultant come in who worked with Dell but was intimate with Symantec products. He had to spend a week or two weeks with us to go through that upgrade process. It was more designed for backup to tape, and that was the main function for which we were using it. When we decided to go away from backup to tape and we wanted to do site-to-site replication, we didn't think that it had that inline capability. It was also costly.

From my understanding it was straightforward. A colleague in one of our other facilities was more intimate with the solution. Basically, we bought a physical box. It was a Dell box that had storage on it. It was our main Veeam backup server that handled the replications because it was used to store the backups. So, we didn't back up to tape. We back up to disk, and it replicates to the DR disk. Setting that up wasn't a problem.

We also had to expand our local backup by using an additional span and then configuring that in order to work with Veeam as well. We didn't have any issues with it.

In terms of maintenance, we only assign one person who manages it. So, it is a part of his daily tasks. This person looks for success and failure, and, if needed, kicks off a backup that failed. He also does the quarterly review to make sure that it is up to date and addresses any replication issues.

What other advice do I have?

If you are trying to replace an existing solution, you need to map out how to integrate Veeam while not impacting the current backup. That's what we did. We had to look at how do we continue our Symantec backups while implementing our Veeam. We slowly graduated at it.

If you are doing any replication with Veeam, you need to determine the tier of the replication to a DR site. We broke out our SAN datastore so that the storage for what we would consider critical backups are done from a different datastore versus the entire SAN. Instead of implementing it first and then trying to change everything around, we did a lot of such pre-work prior to implementing it.

One of the things that Veeam doesn't like is a major change. In such a case, you will lose your data points or restore points. This means that if you've done 14 restore points and you go and make some major change to it, it could break that 12 restore point chain, and now you basically have to start all over again.

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a nine out of 10.

JS
Customer IT Services implementation at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A reliable backup, disaster recovery, and intelligent data management solution

• "Its backup capabilities in general are great."
  • "I prefer a software backup solution that allows me to easily define my origin data, including data files, folders, and virtual machines."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to backup our files and virtual machines.

We use this solution to backup information for our customers. We back up our customers' servers and store the information on local networks. This way, if something goes wrong, we can easily recover the information from our backups.

We have 40 machines that we backup with this solution.

What is most valuable?

Its backup capabilities in general are great.

What needs improvement?

My problem with backup software is the following: The main advantage that all of this software strives for is the ability to store data on a proprietary file system. When you look at the backup files stored in Veeam and other solutions, you cannot directly see the real files. Instead, you see a file structure where the backups are stored inside. This means if you lose the configuration of your backup machine, you only have files stored in a kind of file system that you just cannot get data from. I prefer backup solutions that allow me to regularly look at my backup files — to see the actual files.

I prefer a software backup solution that allows me to easily define my origin data, including data files, folders, and virtual machines. On the targets, they are stored exactly how they are. If it's a virtual machine file, I can find the virtual machine file stored somewhere. I cannot find my folders in a file structure that I don't understand what's in it. I understand why many backup solutions have this kind of file structure; however, this means I also have to have a full backup of the recovery system of my definition configurations.

I don't really like the proprietary file system or file structure, I always prefer the most simple functionalities where I can define this server, this file, these folders, backing up for this target, etc. I am not a fan of cloud storage for backups. Otherwise, I have to have another backup solution or my SAS backup cloud. In short, I am making backups of backups of backups. For me, that's a nightmare.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for roughly two years.

Both the scalability and the stability of Veeam Backup & Replication are good.

Normally, I never need to contact technical support. I guess I would need to if I were using Azure cloud storage, but I don't use Azure for storing backups. As I said, I don't trust the cloud for backups.

We also use some other solutions, but they are open-source, not commercial solutions. We still use a lot of open-source backup solutions because they actually do what we need. They grab data from one place and they store it where we want without storing it in a special data structure. They store the files exactly as they came from the origin; they go to the target and that's it.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We don't pay for this solution, our customers do.

What other advice do I have?

One thing that I enjoy with some open-source solutions is that they're normally the fastest to implement.

With open source solutions, if I have a server and I need to backup something into a folder, either an internet folder, a shared folder on the local network, or a local storage folder, I do not have to have these folders open on the origin system. I only open these folders at the time of transmitting the files, and then they are closed automatically. This means I do not have these folders open if I don't need them because it's safer that way to prevent ransomware attacks and so on.

As I said, don't trust the cloud. If you use the cloud, be sure to have a backup of the cloud. Testing is much more preferable on-premises. This on-premise location can be the local office of the company where you are doing it from, and also remote offices. Just don't use a cloud where you don't know where the server is.

On-premises, when I say "cloud", I mean the internet. I can have an office in London, and if I want to back up on-premise, I do it on the local storage. I don't use general clouds like Azure. I have a server where I know where it is in some location and I remotely back up into that server. I don't buy storage on clouds. I'm really not a good customer for that. I don't trust them. They're excellent, they are really what people say are the future, but I have experienced too many disruptions on clouds. If I go into a software solution where I have to move the cloud, this obligates me to also have a solution to backup the cloud. I don't want to have these two solutions going from the office to the cloud and then also backing up the cloud — it's a nightmare.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

IE
Director at a printing company with 11-50 employees
Provides automated recovery verification for both backups and replicas

• "It's relatively easy to use and the ability to recover in a short period of time has been great."
  • "Even though the speed has improved over the years, I think that there are some instances where it still takes a while."

What is our primary use case?

I'm actually a consultant, so I deploy it for my customers — quite a few of them.

Our clients are partly interested in backing up their application servers and their environment — that's the first priority. Some of our clients have gone a bit further into remote disaster recovery, off-site disaster recovery. They replicate to another location for those purposes.

Our clients are small to medium-sized companies.

What is most valuable?

There are a few of them. It's relatively easy to use and the ability to recover in a short period of time has been great — I think that works quite well. I've compared Veeam with other products and to me, it works the best of the lot.

What needs improvement?

Even though the speed has improved over the years, I think that there are some instances where it still takes a while. In some cases, we have experienced fluctuations in performance. For example, yesterday we performed a synthetic full backup. Normally, this takes less than 90 minutes, but other times, it takes well more than six hours to get 40% of the way.

Other than that, I find that it does what is expected and maybe a bit more. I also don't think that I've really tapped into all of the features of it as yet.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for roughly 10 years.

Veeam Backup & Replication is very stable.

As I mentioned earlier, I have not really investigated all of the features, and one of them is potentially more scalability than anything else. Regarding what little I have done so far, it seems to be pretty scalable. I do have a couple of projects in the works that I'm going to push out a bit more, so I won't be able to give a fair assessment until I have gone through those projects.

I would say it is good. I'm trying to remember when the last time was that I had to call technical support. I think they're very satisfactory overall.

I think that the support resources are adequate. They're pretty good, actually. At the moment, I can't think of anything in terms of technical support and the community support that is lacking.

The initial setup is straightforward. There were no major issues. Well, there was one issue, but that was with an older version of it. For some reason, it would not work on a machine that was part of a domain, but I got that sorted out using a later version of the software.

Regarding deployment, I was able to install the software myself. I had it up and running in a couple of days. We went through a period of more than a week to ensure that the backups were being done properly, were being finished properly. I would say within a couple of weeks it settled down and it's been working fine since then.

In terms of deployment, it usually takes one person. I installed it with a colleague — we're both Veeam certified, so that helps. From the point of view of the end-users, they seemed to grasp it pretty readily. At every institution, there are one or two people that are needed to maintain it — that's it. As I said, it's stable and relatively simple to use. My customers are satisfied with it.

Some of our clients were using solutions like Arc-Serv, Backup Exec. There are a couple of clients who actually evaluated NAKIVO and Veeam a few years ago. There was one client that was comparing Commvault to Veeam. They eventually went with Commvault, but a lot of that has to do with the support of AS400 symbols. They were able to manage their backup costs and a number of different environments using Commvault.

A number of my clients moved from physical machines to virtual ones. They were using primarily Arc-Serv and Veritas Backup Exec, which proved to be a bit inadequate for new virtual environments. It was never seamless. It was never as straightforward as you would have liked. With NAKIVO, we found that it tended to be easier to deal with. Still, even though one of our customers did go with NAKIVO, after a couple of years, they actually moved onto Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others.

I've been using it for a number of years and the bottom line is — it works very well and is simple to use. Within an hour or two, my customers are comfortable enough to be able to create their jobs and monitor job progress, etc. If it works for them, it works for me.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

DV
Systems Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Effectively coordinate data with limited intervention and provide alerts to issues

• "I know it's not exactly a feature, but I accept it works and it's easy to use. With the Veeam Backup & Replication, we have no problems in managing restore. Obviously, the most important thing about backup software. I used to say that every backup software can make backups, but only good ones can make a restore."
  • "It's hard to answer because managing cloud storage in our version could be better, but now that they have improved it in the recent version, I cannot say it's a better point because I know it should be already fixed."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam Backup & Replication to backup, restore and replicate data across our storage locations.

How has it helped my organization?

I know it's not exactly a feature, but I accept it works and it's easy to use. With Veeam Backup & Replication, we have no problems in managing restore. Obviously, the most important thing about backup software. I used to say that every backup software can make backups, but only good ones can make a restore.

What is most valuable?

The features that we use most of Veeam Backup & Replication are SQL backup and tape backup. For us, tape backup is really important because we have to keep all our data on the site. We cannot use it for our sites in terms of policies or a cloud backup. We are using tape backup as a secondary repository. We use the tapes regularly. We also make a regular list of tests for tapes and are quite happy with how we are managing the process.

What needs improvement?

My point of view is not general but in particular because I can only tell you about the things that we need. For the things that we need, I mostly SQL backup, we have no issues with Veeam Backup & Replication. It's difficult to answer because I am waiting to try new features in the next version that we plan to install next month. So, I can't answer before I try these additional features that I will find in the next version.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for the past four years.

For our space, we are using not only Veeam Backup & Replication but also Veeam ONE for monitoring, not only backups but for the environment. We have alerts if we have any problems with the backups. The only problem we are facing sometimes with Windows backup is that it is not large enough for periodic full backups, but this is not the problem of Veeam Backup & Replication, it is a problem of our environment. Veeam Backup & Replication end synthetic backups the following day without requiring a configuration plan and full backup.

When we had Windows problems, Veeam Backup & Replication had no problem at all. It also manages other problems with no intervention.

We used the service of the Veeam technical support once on the fifth day after installation, and it was a good experience. But that was a few years ago, so I can't tell you how their support works now. Fortunately, we didn't need to consult for the rest of the year.

We have used IBM Cloud Backup before, and one of the reasons that pushed us to change the Veeam Backup & Replication was that IBM Cloud Backup was really difficult to use. We have been using it for almost 10 years only to visualize the environment. When we started with IBM Cloud Backup, we also had physical servers. We currently don't have any physical servers. This is another reason we moved to a new generation backup solution.

Veeam Backup & Replication is absolutely straightforward. We had some issues with the initial setup, but it is normal. The initial hardware configuration of the tape library was unclear because we are using a fibre genetic library, so we needed to configure our storage as a network, to have a Windows Server point, exact point contact to the library. However, once the Windows Server manages the tape library, Veeam Backup & Replication has no problems at all. We are using Windows drivers and not native Veeam drivers to manage the library.

It's a proper price, as it isn't an issue for what Veeam Backup & Replication is giving us. Obviously, we are paying licensing for our physical VMware environment. It also depends on how the VMware environment is on the side. We have a few very big nodes. So, we need a few licenses and maybe if people had more nodes and sockets and each node was managing less information, machine supplies could be different.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.