Veeam Backup & Replication Overview

Veeam Backup & Replication is the #1 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Rubrik: Veeam Backup & Replication vs Rubrik

What is Veeam Backup & Replication?

Veeam® Availability Suite™ delivers something fundamentally different — Availability for the Always-On Enterprise™ — leveraging IT investments in server virtualization, modern storage and the cloud to help organizations meet today’s service-level objectives, enabling recovery of any IT service and related applications and data within seconds and minutes.

Veeam Backup & Replication is also known as Veeam Backup and Replication, Veeam Availability Suite.

Veeam Backup & Replication Buyer's Guide

Download the Veeam Backup & Replication Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Veeam Backup & Replication Customers

Vodafone, American Standard Brands, Welch’s, University of Florida, Tata Global Beverages Limited, National Bank of Abu Dhabi, Hirslanden Private Hospital Group, MacLean-Fogg Company

Veeam Backup & Replication Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veeam Backup & Replication pricing:
  • "They have a free edition that can back up up to 10 VMs or physical servers. Small and medium businesses can use this edition until they can afford to get a license, and after they get a license, they just activate it on the same console. That's the amazing thing about it."
  • "We purchase a license annually."
  • "It's a proper price, as it isn't an issue for what Veeam Backup & Replication is giving us. Obviously, we are paying licensing for our physical VMware environment. It also depends on how the VMware environment is on the side. We have a few very big nodes. So, we need a few licenses and maybe if people had more nodes and sockets and each node was managing less information, machine supplies could be different."

TM
Account Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable, affordable and user friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case with Veeam Backup & Replication is to backup critical data. We would recommend that a person put on a Veeam backup service so that in a disaster recovery scenario you set what has to come back up first because that is going to be the critical information that has to go back up as quickly as possible. You can put anything on critical servers, but we recommend that you use it for critical data that it is going to be restored within a four hour timeframe. Veeam Backup & Replication can be deployed as agent-based or you can set it up to replicate back to a NAS, some sort of… more »

• "Veeam Backup & Replication is a great alternative to what is out there. Some of the backups just allow an agent backup to the cloud. You can back up a thousand different ways, but this is a great way to keep a customer and a company in compliance in that they've got their data secure onsite and offsite. The data being transferred to the NAS at the customer's location and also the data being sent to the cloud is encrypted in transit and it's also encrypted at rest so that nobody is going to be able to hack into that. No one will have the keys to do that."
  • "Veeam is good up until 300 VMs."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Veeam Backup & Replication would be to definitely demo it and see what you think about it because you can't try it before you buy it, and see how it works in your environment. I'm not too sure if there are any trials that go on for a month at a time, but it depends on the customer. If they decide that this is something good for them, then we move forward with it and adjust as we go. But the majority of our customers know what Veeam is and have seen the product out there, because I send a lot of information out via LinkedIn and send emails to my customers about…
KEREM CEBI
Director of Professional Services | Senior Solution Architect | Trainer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
 Veeam provides a single platform for modernizing backup, accelerating hybrid cloud and securing your data. Simple to install and run, flexible enough to fit into any environment and always reliable.

What is our primary use case?

Veeam Backup & Replication delivers dependable availability across all cloud, virtual and physical workloads with a simple, flexible and reliable solution. You can protect your data no matter the location or workload type with powerful backup and instant recovery options. We are a system-integrator company and have a platinum sales-partnership with Veeam Software in Turkey. And also we are giving professional services to our customers on behalf of Veeam within the framework of the global VASP program. We take advantage of this experience to integrate many different environments as an output… more »

• "Veeam Is very useful for most environments and can scale up in most environments - such as Amazon or Azure."
  • "I cannot recall coming across any features that were lacking."

What other advice do I have?

We strongly recommend this software, due to the IT operations efficiency and data reliability. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. Veeam is the best.
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MA
Presales Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Flexible and scalable, supports physical systems and VMs, integrates with major applications, and has a free edition

• "It is a flexible, simple, and scalable software-based solution. It has agentless functionality with specific hypervisors and agent-based functionality with specific operating systems. It gives you the flexibility to use your own hardware and back up physical Windows, Linux, IBM AIX, and Oracle Solaris systems as well as VMware VMs, Hyper-V VMs, and Nutanix VMs from one console. It also has integration with major applications that most companies are using, such as Active Directory, SQL, Exchange, or SharePoint. It has integrations, not just for the backup on the image, host layer, or hypervisor, but also for performing an application-consistent backup. It is helpful in backing up to the tape, cloud, DR site, etc. It is really flexible. It is really amazing that you can restore any backup on VMware, Azure, or AWS. As compared to the other solutions in the market. Veeam has really integrated a lot in the past years. It has the best performance and perfect replication."
  • "Veeam Backup Replication has agents for Linux, but they are not supporting Cluster Shared Volumes. It would be great to have agents for Linux be cluster-aware, just like the Windows agents. That's the main pain point. In addition, we should be able to handle the automation of Oracle backups from the backup server. We should be able to schedule, control, and deploy them from the backup server rather than relying on scripts and/or the system you are backing up to perform the backup. Currently, we install the plug-in inside Oracle VMs and then use crontabs to handle the task schedule on each machine for scheduling the backups. Veeam Backup Replication should also support the automation of Nutanix backups from the backup server, not from the proxy. The other not so major thing is that they don't support legacy systems because Veeam is a new company. It is not as old as other companies. They don't support physical workloads that are really old, which a major challenge, but they do have a point. Legacy systems should be virtualized, and if they're virtualized, then the backup is not an issue with Veeam, but some customers like the physical setup, and they don't want to have it virtual."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. It can be deployed on-prem or on the cloud. They also have a new cloud-specific product. They have an agentless backup for Azure Cloud, AWS Cloud, and Google Cloud, but you can still use Veeam Backup Replication on the cloud. I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a nine out of ten.
MV
Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Provides a simple, scalable, sustainable repository

What is our primary use case?

The solution is so good to use. It allows for proof of concept. One can run a test on the database, move backups from one server to another, do file restoration or make use of portal storage features. Backup and storage is very fast, reducing what would otherwise take hours to minutes. Veeam was designed for virtual environments. The first year it was involved in supporting VMware virtual environments.

• "While I do not recall whether the latest version is 10.0 or 11.0 I do know that it allows one to make a back up repository that is very scalable and simple."
  • "Occasionally, in the course of upgrading one's virtualization platform, the backup can be ruined."

What other advice do I have?

We have two Veeam servers in two disparate sites. The solution is not deployed on the cloud. One of the servers is physical and the other virtual, with the support and backup capabilities comprising 50 kilobytes of SSD storage. I would recommend the solution to others. There are approximately 700 people making use of the solution in our organization. I rate Veeam Backup & Replication as a ten out of ten.
MN
Manager of Information Systems at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Steady, scalable, and works well for daily backups and replicating a large chunk of data

What is our primary use case?

We use it at our site for our nightly backup and for disaster recovery (DR) replication to another site. So, we use WAN Accelerator. We use scheduled copies to another datastore, and then, of course, we do it for our backups for SQL servers and other servers.

• "WAN Accelerator helps tremendously with replicating our data because we have a large chunk of data that gets replicated between our two facilities."
  • "The SME that helped us with the implementation would probably have more insight because he used it way more than we have. We just use it for making sure that our backups are done daily, and the replications are being performed between sites. We haven't had any issues at all with it other than the fact that there is a slight process to acquire additional licenses if we want to expand our number of hosts. That's because it is based on the number of cores and threads that are used."

What other advice do I have?

If you are trying to replace an existing solution, you need to map out how to integrate Veeam while not impacting the current backup. That's what we did. We had to look at how do we continue our Symantec backups while implementing our Veeam. We slowly graduated at it. If you are doing any replication with Veeam, you need to determine the tier of the replication to a DR site. We broke out our SAN datastore so that the storage for what we would consider critical backups are done from a different datastore versus the entire SAN. Instead of implementing it first and then trying to change…
JS
Customer IT Services implementation at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A reliable backup, disaster recovery, and intelligent data management solution

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to backup our files and virtual machines. We use this solution to backup information for our customers. We back up our customers' servers and store the information on local networks. This way, if something goes wrong, we can easily recover the information from our backups. We have 40 machines that we backup with this solution.

• "Its backup capabilities in general are great."
  • "I prefer a software backup solution that allows me to easily define my origin data, including data files, folders, and virtual machines."

What other advice do I have?

One thing that I enjoy with some open-source solutions is that they're normally the fastest to implement. With open source solutions, if I have a server and I need to backup something into a folder, either an internet folder, a shared folder on the local network, or a local storage folder, I do not have to have these folders open on the origin system. I only open these folders at the time of transmitting the files, and then they are closed automatically. This means I do not have these folders open if I don't need them because it's safer that way to prevent ransomware attacks and so on. As I…
IE
Director at a printing company with 11-50 employees
Provides automated recovery verification for both backups and replicas

What is our primary use case?

I'm actually a consultant, so I deploy it for my customers — quite a few of them. Our clients are partly interested in backing up their application servers and their environment — that's the first priority. Some of our clients have gone a bit further into remote disaster recovery, off-site disaster recovery. They replicate to another location for those purposes. Our clients are small to medium-sized companies.

• "It's relatively easy to use and the ability to recover in a short period of time has been great."
  • "Even though the speed has improved over the years, I think that there are some instances where it still takes a while."

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. I've been using it for a number of years and the bottom line is — it works very well and is simple to use. Within an hour or two, my customers are comfortable enough to be able to create their jobs and monitor job progress, etc. If it works for them, it works for me. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.
DV
Systems Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Effectively coordinate data with limited intervention and provide alerts to issues

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam Backup & Replication to backup, restore and replicate data across our storage locations.

• "I know it's not exactly a feature, but I accept it works and it's easy to use. With the Veeam Backup & Replication, we have no problems in managing restore. Obviously, the most important thing about backup software. I used to say that every backup software can make backups, but only good ones can make a restore."
  • "It's hard to answer because managing cloud storage in our version could be better, but now that they have improved it in the recent version, I cannot say it's a better point because I know it should be already fixed."
See 65 more Veeam Backup & Replication Reviews
Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.