Veeam Backup & Replication Review
Veeam has saved us many hours but the performance is slow when making changes (This could be our hardware, or Veeam)

Valuable Features

There are quite a few features for Veeam which are helpful, but in my mind the ability to take a backup from a week ago and spin up a temporary VM to retrieve files is the feature I use the most. The wizards are extremely user friendly and easy to use. Another very nice feature of Veeam is the ability to seamlessly intergrate with your VM environment. From within Veeam I can browse all of my VMs and choose the appropriate vm I want to add to backup. The low disk warnings are awesome in Veeam, I am alerted well before we run out of space.

Improvements to My Organization

Veeam has saved us many hours retrieving deleted files as well as testing backups. Our old backup solution was getting to the point where we could not go more than a couple of days without backups failing. With Veeam we have not had any time where backups did not run. We also have been able to run since January 2014 with no “failed” backups.

Room for Improvement

The performance is slow when making changes. I am unable to determine if the cause is slow disk that we use for our storage, of if Veeam is slow. When I delete a VM in Veeam it takes about 20 minutes to delete the backups with 83 restore points. With that being said we are getting the “Speed Boost” upgrade that should improve performance. With this being said, the program performs very quick when navigating around the UI. One issue I have ran into is I have been confused at times and added the same VM to multiple backup jobs. I wish there was a “warning” box that would pop up saying this vm is already protected in another job.

Use of Solution

We have been on Veeam Backup & Replication 7.0 Enterprise Edition since January 2014. We are updating to the latest version of Veeam late 2014. Previously we were on a HP tape backup for many years.

We had an outside vendor do the initial deployment

Veeam is extremely stable. I have not had to do anything with the Veeam VM since the original install. We get 100% backups every day.

Scalability for me is adding new VMs to be backed up by Veeam. Without much training I am able to create a group and add the new VMs to the group to be backed up by Veeam.

Have not contacted support

Have not contacted support

We used HP Storageworks. We were no longer getting consistent good backups. Every day we had to baby the backup to make it work. As part of the Veeam backup we also we able to get away from the tape backup system.

Setup was completed by an outside consultant.

Implementation Team

We used an outside consultant who was extremely familiar with Veeam, they did great.

Other Solutions Considered

We did not evaluate any other backup systems, we were on a tight timeline due to too many failing backups. We went with Veeam due to our consultants great experience with Veeam from other clients.

Other Advice

Veeam is a great fit for a seasoned IT pro, of someone who is green. Get a trial of the software and try it. My other advice is to do the math and get a large enough SAN. We currently keep 180days of backups for 50+ VMs.