Veeam Backup & Replication Review

I evaluated CommVault. Veeam was much better priced for the features we needed.

Valuable Features

The ease of use and intuitiveness of the interface are excellent. Ability of the software to work reliably and consistently is very important. The instant restore option to mount backups and read data from them in a matter of seconds/minutes is very helpful. Ability of Veeam to replicate backups cross-site is critical to my DR strategy.

Improvements to My Organization

Veeam allowed me to eliminate the need for tape backups and replace legacy backup software. The reliability of Veeam is amazing compared to the solution(s) I was using. I am now able to spend 2 minutes a day reviewing backup logs instead of hours troubleshooting errors and calling vendor support. The ability to replicate backups off-site disk to disk also saves a ton of time compared to swapping tapes and manually moving them off-site.

Use of Solution

1 year.

I used a 3rd party consultant to aid in the deployment however after watching it done I was sorry to have paid someone else to do it. The deployment process appeared to be very straightforward.

None.

Excellent customer service. I have mostly dealt with tech support.

Excellent. Always responsive and quick to resolve issues. Though there are rarely issues to resolve.

Yes I previously used Symantec BackupExec which had been in place for years. The product was full of bugs, completely unreliable, and required weekly calls to tech support. I switched to Veeam because of these reasons primarily. The cost of Veeam also came in lower than our previous system.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I was able to follow the implementation guide and get the trial setup very quickly. The GUI is intuitive, I've never had an issue figuring out how to use a feature.

Implementation Team

I implemented the production instance through a vendor. The vendor was competent and able to configure Veeam properly. However I do not see the need to use a vendor for future Veeam implementations. The Veeam install and setup process if easy to figure out.

ROI

Invaluable in time saved managing backups. The time I spent managing backups, failed jobs, software errors etc has been almost eliminated by Veeam. I have recovered at least 5 hours a week by switching to Veeam.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I do not recall the exact setup costs. I believe I paid the vendor ~$1,500 to implement Veeam, plus the cost of the Veeam licenses and support. Ongoing cost is simply the cost of renewing support and about 5 minutes of my day.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, I evaluated CommVault. Veeam was much better priced for the features we needed.

Other Advice

Veeam is an excellent and reliable VM backup tool at a great value compared to other products. I strongly recommend deploying the free trial to get familiar with the product. After using the trial I would be surprised if someone doesn't purchase Veeam.