Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Had issue when license files downloaded from OWA which would render it unusable, but backup/replication are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Both backup and replication, simple to read reports.

How has it helped my organization?

Allowed simple backup and restore of virtual machines as well as granular restore of files and Exchange databases.

What needs improvement?

Most of the features I wanted was addressed in version 6 and 7 (i.e. backup to tape) allowing my clients to finally get rid of backup Exec to copy backups to tape. I'm not sure if there's a way to back up physical servers with Veeam but that would be a good feature to help customers transition into a fully virtualized environment OR maintain some physical servers in the environment.

3 years (version 7 and older versions).

Issue when licenses files (.lic) are downloaded from OWA which would render it unusable. Also had issues in earlier version where snapshots weren't deleted properly but that can be attributed to a mix of the ESXi version and Veeam.

Veeam 6 and 7 has been very stable.

Our customers have not run into any scalability issues.

Excellent. Calling tech support and getting routed to a tech is quite fast.

Excellent and responsive.

Backup Exec was previously used but their early attempt to backup VMs were cumbersome and Veeam stepped in to address that problem. The only reason why Backup Exec was kept in the environment was to backup to tape and, in the earlier days, backup Exec databases.

Very straight forward. The console is extremely simple to use and intuitive.

In-house.

Veeam is definitely one of the market leaders and is the preferred choice.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely one of the simplest ways to backup a virtualized infrastructure but you may not be able to fully get rid of your regular backup software if you have physical servers or specialized applications that required specific plugins that Veeam does not support.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a silver partner
More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users