Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Set up is very easy. Pick your proxy server, set up the repositories and off you go. The backup compressions needs work.

Valuable Features

• Replication
  • WAN Accelerator
  • Backup
  • Ease of use
  • File Level restoration

Improvements to My Organization

Restores are faster. Moving virtual machines from one location to another is easier and is far less time consuming than Tape backups. Setting up jobs replicas or backup jobs is also quick and easy.

Room for Improvement

Backup compression. It has got better but still could improve somewhat.

Use of Solution

3+ years (I started with the Veeam Free Edition and have used the Full Product since 6.5)

The only issues i've had is with updates. The program will error and then the server needs rebooting or the patch reapplied. I have only noticed that issue with version 7.

Only stability issues are as i stated in the above question.

No issues. You can make many repositories in all different locations if needed.

4/5 as the support is very good and responsive. I have always received the correct answer the first time calling.

Same as Customer Service. Top Notch. Always very responsive and get the answer the first time. Tech's really know their product well.

Nope. I have always used Veeam for virtual machines and Backup Exec for physical boxes.

Implementation Team

In house with only the documents from Veeam. No problems at all.

ROI

This is a good question. Veeam is competitively priced. When compared to Tape or other virtual solutions Veeam is by far the most cost effective. I spend 75-80% less time managing backups than i used too. Troubleshooting is easier, and it has less moving parts than traditional backup solutions.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I can't remember. Veeam is licensed by processor and I would say it is much cheaper than it's competitors.

Other Solutions Considered

Not really Veeam is far and away the market leader for virtual environment. I have looked at vRanger and Appassure.

Other Advice

Don't wait. It is a very simple install and your backup and replication jobs will run better than ever.

2 Comments
Data Center Operations Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employeesReal User

Hi,
Can Veeam solution used for backing up application and databases based on Physical Power7 and IBM I servers?

25 February 15
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Veeam is meant for Virtual environment but with the new Endpoint Backup solution you should be able to back up those physical servers.

21 August 15