Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Set up is very easy. Pick your proxy server, set up the repositories and off you go. The backup compressions needs work.

What is most valuable?

• Replication
  • WAN Accelerator
  • Backup
  • Ease of use
  • File Level restoration

How has it helped my organization?

Restores are faster. Moving virtual machines from one location to another is easier and is far less time consuming than Tape backups. Setting up jobs replicas or backup jobs is also quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

Backup compression. It has got better but still could improve somewhat.

3+ years (I started with the Veeam Free Edition and have used the Full Product since 6.5)

The only issues i've had is with updates. The program will error and then the server needs rebooting or the patch reapplied. I have only noticed that issue with version 7.

Only stability issues are as i stated in the above question.

No issues. You can make many repositories in all different locations if needed.

4/5 as the support is very good and responsive. I have always received the correct answer the first time calling.

Same as Customer Service. Top Notch. Always very responsive and get the answer the first time. Tech's really know their product well.

Nope. I have always used Veeam for virtual machines and Backup Exec for physical boxes.

In house with only the documents from Veeam. No problems at all.

This is a good question. Veeam is competitively priced. When compared to Tape or other virtual solutions Veeam is by far the most cost effective. I spend 75-80% less time managing backups than i used too. Troubleshooting is easier, and it has less moving parts than traditional backup solutions.

I can't remember. Veeam is licensed by processor and I would say it is much cheaper than it's competitors.

Not really Veeam is far and away the market leader for virtual environment. I have looked at vRanger and Appassure.

What other advice do I have?

Don't wait. It is a very simple install and your backup and replication jobs will run better than ever.

More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users
...who compared it with Commvault
2 Comments

author avatarit_user199806 (Data Center Operations Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees)

Hi,
Can Veeam solution used for backing up application and databases based on Physical Power7 and IBM I servers?

author avatarChris Childerhose
ExpertTop 5Real User

Veeam is meant for Virtual environment but with the new Endpoint Backup solution you should be able to back up those physical servers.