Veeam Backup & Replication Review

We're able to check the quality of our backups and to access reports that let us know what happened during backups.

Valuable Features

• Reliability: we need backups we can depend on
  • Ease of use: when there's an issue and downtime, there's stress involved, and we should be able to restore things without reading 40 pages in a manual
  • Reporting: we want to know what happened during the backup and what the results are
  • Value for money (of course!)

Improvements to My Organization

It really just works, we don't have backup issues anymore. We're now implementing SureBackup so we can check the quality of the backups. Great feature.

Room for Improvement

The product has a great value for money and I'm happy to see they're still adding more features. I hope they can keep the setup as simple as possible as this is one of the strengths of the product.

Use of Solution

I've used it for six months.

Some issues with backup proxies, but these issues were partly caused by the partner who installed Veeam. I just read the manual and took care of them myself. Can't blame Veeam for that.

They are very responsive, to the point and were able to help us. The forum is great and very active. They also help people using the free version, which is really nice of them.

Our previous solution was not transparent, hard to configure and fail short in the reporting. For us, the word of mouth was very important, we heard only positive things about it. The sales people are a bit "overenthusiastic". In the evaluation period I sometimes got phone calls twice a day. Also the access to local technical Veeam people was great.

We didn't set it up, a Veeam partner did. The updates/upgrades are very easy.

Implementation Team

We did it with a vendor team to give us a head start. You really have to review the installation afterwards. Veeam is evolving very quickly, you could be missing out on interesting features.

ROI

It's hard to give ROI at this moment. IMHO the value of a backup is only truly appreciated when you have an issue.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The essentials bundle is great value for money if you have storage from NetApp or HP, but you really have to make sure you will not reach the limits in the near future. There are plans here to cooperate with other organizations and then the 3 hosts limit probably will give us trouble.