Veeam Backup & Replication Review

It has provided a higher level of reliability to core company systems. However, it needs better reporting of replication job details to provide troubleshooting insight.

What is most valuable?

Virtual Machine replication between sites.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided a higher level of reliability to core company systems and services.

What needs improvement?

Better reporting of replication job details in order to provide better insights when troubleshooting.

I've used Veeam Availability Suite for eight months.

No issues encountered.

Replication delta sizes have been inconsistent with Windows VMs, but we are working with Veeam Support to resolve the issue.

No issues encountered.

Very good, no particular issues.

Very good, with fast communication, follow ups from the support team and consistent. Still need to see how long it takes to fix our main issue in order to evaluate how timely the support calls are resolved.

No, it is our first implementation of a replication solution.

The initial setup was very straightforward, installation and set-up of VM replication took just two to three hours.

We implemented through a vendor team. They have been very responsive and cooperative, as well as very informed as to how the solution works and the best practices that are to be followed.

This product will provide availability of core services in case of a disaster scenario, which will enable our company to continue operating normally. It also provides another recovery point in our backup & recovery strategy. Estimated ROI on this project is calculated at 40% ±5 in case of such scenario.

The original setup cost included purchasing hardware on which to replicate the VMs, as well as the license and support fees for Veeam. On a day-to-day basis, the only additional overhead needed was an increase of our WAN bandwidth in order to accommodate the replication between sites. Overall, we managed to keep the costs at a very reasonable amount.

We had considered other solutions, Symantec and VMware, but eventually decided to go with Veeam due to their very good reputation on this segment.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend it, since the solution is very simple to implement, monitor and manage.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
author avatarChris Childerhose
ExpertTOP 5Real User

Have you tried using the Backup Enterprise Manager for reporting or Veeam One? I think the latter would give you more.

author avatarSystem Administrator - Backup & Storage Specialist at METRO SYSTEMS Romania
TOP 20Consultant

The EM isn't exactly made for very large environments. Veeam One is good but it's a bit shame they didn't integrate it in the base B&R products itself. Maybe in the future we'll get an unified solution.