Veeam Backup & Replication Review

We're able to restore entire virtual machines in under 15 minute, although I'd like to see the virtual-environment concept or technology applied to backup physical servers.

Valuable Features:

• Support for VMware Virtual Volumes (VVols) that allows direct backup from snapshots of storage systems that support VVols and VMware Virtual SAN 2.0
  • Granular recovery of objects from MS SQL, Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange
  • Backup and replication of Fault Tolerant (FT) VMs
  • Cross-vCenter vMotion awareness
  • Hot-Add transport mode of SATA virtual disks
  • Support for Veeam Cloud Connect that allows customers to backup their offsite backups into the cloud

Improvements to My Organization:

This product has really reduced our recovery time objective considerably because we are able to restore entire virtual machines in under 15 minutes whenever that has come up.

Not just that, though, as we are also able to restore individual objects requested by customers, e.g. deleted messages from an Exchange server. The Veeam product has reduced the time it takes to configure and monitor backups.

Room for Improvement:

Although this product is technically designed for virtual environments, it would be very useful if the same concepts or technology is applied to backup physical servers.

That is what I would love to see Veeam implement or add as a feature to a future product.

Other Advice:

Veeam is a good product that is easy to deploy and manage and it just really works.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a gold partner.
1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
author avatarChris Childerhose
TOP REVIEWERELITE SQUADReal User

If you want physical backup you can always try the Endpoint Backup product as it does physical servers. We use it on our Veeam servers which are physical and I am testing on Exchange servers too. Great product and can use Veeam repositories too.