Veeam Backup & Replication Review

It drastically lowered the strain on our hosted environment during backup windows all while decreasing the amount of time the backups require for completion.

What is most valuable?

All of the explorers, bitlooker, scale out backup repository, and backup appliance integration.

How has it helped my organization?

Veeam drastically lowered the strain on our hosted environment during backup windows all while decreasing the amount of time the backups require for completion. Upgrades to the backup environment take considerably less time to complete.

What needs improvement?

The endpoint(agent) backup to be fully included/supported as part of the licensed product.

Update: this functionality should be included sometime between Q4 2016 - Q1 2017

2+ years.

The customer service staff are always willing to provide any information or support that they can.

They have the best backup support in the industry our time to resolution regarding any issue has been resolved in an expedited manner.

Yes, we used EMC Avamar before and switched primarily due to cost however the Veeam/DataDomain offering is more robust.

Update: We are now looking to move off of DataDomain due to restore speeds.

Setup is simple however to achieve best performance and results there are added design considerations.

We implemented the solution in house. We are a Veeam service provider but went to VeeamOn for additional training, not that the software is complicated but there is so much functionality that meeting the engineers provided great insight.

We were seeing ROI within a year.

Go for the availability suite which includes Veeam One. It can be had for an incremental cost and it provides very actionable alerts.

Arcserve, Symantec, Unitrends, and VMware.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Veeam Customer and Partner.
1 Comment

author avatarChris Childerhose
ExpertTop 5Real User

Nice review. It will definitely be nice if they incorporate the Endpoint Backup in the full product but who knows. I heard a rumour that physical server support is coming possibly this year but we will have to wait and see. The best part is that Nimble Storage support is coming in 9.5 which I cannot wait for.