Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Patch release and support are efficient and it doesn't take ages for most issues to be resolved.

Valuable Features

It's very simple to implement and very fast to learn. One backup can be done and many restorations are possible from that backup. It's mature integrity within a virtualized environment has always been important.

Improvements to My Organization

Veeam B&R saved our many files that accidentally had been deleted. By using File Level Recovery, all of them got restored easily and in a time manner.

Room for Improvement

Not covering the physical environment is both a pro and con of the product. Many organizations still have to consider other enterprise class solutions because of their physical servers. The other thing that they need to consider is the integration between Veeam and other storage vendors to use all the array level features to make backups even faster and more efficient. I guess Veeam needs to have a look at the enterprise market and not get stuck with small or mid-range forever.

Use of Solution

I've been using and proposing this product to many customers for more than five years.

Patch release and support are both very efficient and it doesn't take ages for most issues to be resolved.

There have been no performance issues.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

I would rate it very highly.

It's been easy to deploy, and I've never had any complaints from a customer.

Implementation Team

I did it myself and used my team in projects. I found the SureBackup implementation quite tricky, especially the health check mechanism which can be a bit confusing.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It's not cheap for sure but in comparison with rivals it's not very pricey as well. Disaster recovery and backup solutions are not cheap and investing in them is worth much as it helps you to protect valuable data.

Other Solutions Considered

Veeam clearly stands in the middle, somewhere between simplicity and richness. I have proposed and designed backup solution based on many other products such as EMC Networker or Netbackup, but Veeam suits many customers' needs.

Other Advice

The best approach would be to implement a trial in a test environment to test it and run all the features to help you decide which edition and features you need and understand the architecture needed to run it.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Veeam has improved much since your review with storage integration, Veeam Agent for physical backups, etc. Great product as we use the Nimble Integration and the Agents for our Exchange environment.

13 December 17