Veeam Backup & Replication Review

You can bring back up applications within five minutes if needed. When the disk capacity is getting low, you have to clear the backup disk & then perform the backup.

Valuable Features

Instant Veeam Recovery is invaluable as it has eliminated the need for High Availability as you can bring back up applications within five minutes if needed.

Improvements to My Organization

In term of cost saving, it does reflect the justification made to the management to invest on Veeam B&R rather than build a redundant high availability in either Virtualize or physical environment which is costly to manage and maintain. With IVR, you can also improve your recovery point objective (RPO) and recovery time objective (RTO) by bringing up the VM within a short period of time, thus minimizing the troubleshooting duration.

Room for Improvement

I'm not sure if others has the same issue as mine but the full recovery file (.VBK) growth is really causing our customer a headache as they have to perform a full backup, and when the disk capacity is getting low, you have to clear the backup disk and then perform the backup. The previous version seemed to have better integration as it removed blocks from the full VBK file during the backup.

Use of Solution

I've been working with it for around four to five years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

You have to plan for a higher disk throughput rate since the Veeam restore target is to disk, and the full recovery time can be a nightmare especially if you're recovering to thin disk which is super slow.

I have noticed in the new version has some issues with VBK growth which I didn't experience in the previous version. The VBK file will keep on growing, and although some features are added to contain the growth such as compaction & BitLocker, I've not seen any improvement yet.

So far they've been excellent except for one case. It was a Sev One incident, and an engineer only called me back eight hours after I logged it.

It's really straightforward and very user friendly.

Implementation Team

We're a systems integrator and we deploy it to different environments. Veeam has great documentation for deployment and planning on their website. My only advice to is to include a scenario base during recovery for example, whenever you do IVR, expect throughput to be slow as it will be mounted from backup repository.

Other Solutions Considered

For most customers who don't have budget issues, we usually recommend Commvault. One of the reasons that we recommend Commvault is the ability for the corporate division to use it globally. I find Commvault has a better R&D team and can accommodate most hypervisors currently on the market. The latest one that Commvault supports is Nutanix AHV which has added value to its product portfolio. With the growing popularity of hyper converged systems, this decision is timely. However, Commvault price is high, and can be very expensive if you're going with their Capacity license. I just hope Veeam product team will include AHV compatibility in the next release.

Other Advice

Backup is not much of a concern, but for recovery you do have to plan for additional capacity especially when you want to redirect your restore. Veeam's planning recommendation should include for customers to assign a VM as a thick disk for recovery purposes.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a reseller of this product.