Veeam Backup & Replication Review

The 3-2-1 backup rule is good -- it has three copies of data, two different medias, with one off-site copy.

Valuable Features

It is installed and configured in 15 minutes. It is reliable and you can really count on its restore jobs. It also provides very good deduplication alongside fast backup/restore on tape and instant VM recovery and allowing you to restore a VM onto an NFS mount point anywhere you want on a Windows 2012 Server. Veeam's 3-2-1 backup rule is also good where it has three copies of data, two different medias, with one off-site copy. Lastly, we're able to sandbox VMs without impacting the production environment.

Improvements to My Organization

In a fully virtualized environment, the ability to perform instant or quick restore full VM is invaluable, and because this product is reliable, I often forget the backup appliance for weeks or months.
Veeam Backup makes me more confident and agile in managing and maintaining my IT infrastructure.

Room for Improvement

Since this is a pure 95 % virtualized solution for Hyper-V or vSphere, this product could do more to backup individual files, databases, and or complete guest OS. For now, I have to backup NAS, and doing this for individual files is a pain in the neck and I have to play with two different backup solutions. Also, Veeam will not backup a physical server.

Use of Solution

I've been using it since v6.0 in 2013. It was used in parallel with VMware VDR, and then VDP but it was quickly abandoned for a full Veeam solution.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no performance issues.

I have ordered more socket CPU licenses but I do not know if this will be easy or painful. There is nothing to do when adding clusters/hosts except checking the number of CPUs allowed.

I have, 99 % of time, found an answer to my questions or issues through customer services or via forums.

On-line help is also complete and often come with interactive videos showing how and where to click, and this is amazing.

Prior to Veeam, I used VMware VDR, and then VDP (> vSphere 5.x).

It's complete in 15 minutes. It's so easy that even a child could schedule bakcups. It was the same when upgrading from v8.0 to 9.0. It was simply a click and wait job and completed within 10 minutes.

Implementation Team

I’m responsible for choosing and implementing this product. I discovered Veeam through my previous jobs. In this one, it was already implemented by local IT engineers.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Licensing costs are OK, they are a good average when compared to their competitors. The only issue I have is having three NetApp filers and not being able to backup/restore from snapshots, SnapMirror, or SnapVault. So if I had more money, I’d head directly to the Enterprise “Plus” Edition. The Standard Edition is not supposed to manage tapes or deduplication and is limited to small infrastructure environments.

Other Solutions Considered

I’m not a specialist of EMC Avamar, but I think that Avamar is more universal (backup of NAS for example), but it is way more expensive and complex than Veeam. I didn’t evaluate any other commercial solution.

Other Advice

There's no need to buy direct attached disks, as you can just build from scratch a “Veeam appliance” with a a big 2U 8 core Xeon server with 16 GB RAM and lot of SAS disks (at least 2 RAID). You then add Windows Server OS and the Veeam software. With this setup, you won’t need extra space, separate SANs, or network switches, except maybe for your LTO drives.

Otherwise, use some VMs for Veeams and separate the proxy so you can make your big physical server a repository. Do not allow your physical server to backup your ESXi hosts with VMFS datastores, as you might not find your VMs in the VMDK virtual disks.

Most important though is to always test your real recovery abilities and try to simulate total failures of a SAN direct attached volume for example, or even from your backup system.

1 Comment
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Physical server backup is coming in 9.5 and works very well. Beta testing right now with this and Nimble integration. Also Veeam does back up individual files like databases and OS. Not sure why you would not see this.

06 September 16