Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Provides the ability to test the backups and replicas of backups in our backup site.

What is most valuable?

Integration with VMware is essential, in addition to the functionality of Instant Recovery, WAN Acceleration, SureBackup, SureReplica and for the most part, it is not necessary to install agents for granular backups and restores. The adoption of compression and deduplication features are extremely important, and of course the cost benefit, because the licensing costs are not calculated according to backup volume.

How has it helped my organization?

We reduced licensing costs for our backup, as the trend of the backup is always increasing. The tool also provides significantly simpler management and easier backup and restore operations, among other factors such as the ability to test the backups and replicas of backups in our backup site.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see agents for backup of physical servers, as only agents for Windows servers have this tool. Storage backup for Linux servers is not yet possible.

I have used this solution for three months.

For our environment in particular, we have not found any difficulty or deployment issue.

Technical support is excellent.

Before Veeam, we used the IBM solution (TSM) and evaluated NetBackup from Symantec/Veritas. We chose Veeam because of its features, lower investment cost and ease of management.

Deployment and configuration of Veeam to our environment was incredibly simple. We did not have great difficulties.

We are a company that provides hosting services and IT services to the government of Amazonas. With the implementation of Veeam, our ROI increased from 30% (TSM) to 70% (Veeam), over the first three years.

Veeam’s licensing provided savings of almost 55% in the first three years. After this period, the savings will be even greater, because the license cost is not calculated by backup volume.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate the Veeam product before manking any decisions. In my view, Veeam sells itself, and a team of sales and marketing is not necessary. Let your technical team evaluate and issue its opinion.