Veeam Backup & Replication Review

The ability of instant VM recovery is the most valuable feature. It is more stable then most other solutions in this area.

How has it helped my organization?

One of our customers was hit by a ransomware attack shortly after they implemented the multi-tier backup with Veeam. They were able to recover 10.000+ files almost instantly and never lost more then 2 hours of work.

What is most valuable?

The ability of instant VM recovery, which means starting the backup VM and getting it online while the recovery is still happening is the most valuable feature. Also, the ability to construct a multi-tier backup system, where the final backups can even be stored on tape.

It is the best product for backup of virtualised servers, individual VMs and single servers. The product is getting even better by being able to back up single files as well

What needs improvement?

Room for improvement is actually more in the way of licensing. The really good and useful features are in the Enterprise plus edition, and that one is really expensive. I've had customers shying away from Veeam because of the price tag attached to the version they really wanted. For one host with 2 CPUs (very common these days) Enterprise Plus costs $1900, and we are talking about virtualisation hosts so there will be a couple of them.

Now that Veeam has announced new versions and features I fear the price will go up even more.

The product is more stable then most other solutions in this area. We have not had any complaints in five years.

Up to Version 9 we could not backup to tape, which was a show-stopper for some companies. The ability to backup encrypted VMs to Azure or AWS cloud infratructure eliminates all scalability issues.

We seldom contact support, but in the cases we do, I’d give it a 9, 10 being the best.

We are consulting customers who have special needs in backup situations (among other stuff). Veeam was always the best solution to backup VMs and with continuing virtualisation this became more important. Now that we can do file level backup as well, we expect more customers moving to Veeam.

It is very easy to implement Veeam and relatively easy to get good results initially. However, as with every backup solution, it can get very complex very fast, so consulting and planning is needed with regard of more complex setups.

We are partnered with Veeam, so always get a consulting company for good prices and help with the planning and setup.

We have experience in many backup solutions, including IBM Tivoli, Avamar, and Zerto. They have their purpose but are more specialised/complex and mostly more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Get a consulting company to look at your setup and needs. Have them evaluate more than one backup solution and have them run a proof-of-concept so you can get a good grasp of the products. Test the two best ones, then choose the winner.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Veeam Partner, we also have trained Veeam teachers. We are not biased towards Veeam, but it is our backup tool of choice for most setups.
2 visitors found this review helpful
3 Comments
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Nice review. Veeam is a great product for backup.

13 July 17