Veeam Backup & Replication Review

User-friendly backup of the whole virtual server

What is our primary use case?

We are using Veeam at our college and we have been connected for a while now. We use it for backing up virtual servers in the Hyperwave and it is working very well. It works well for backing up services. We can backup Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Sharepoint and it is actually easy to understand how to restore from it. It has an easy UI.

How has it helped my organization?

The most important part is that we know we have a backup of the whole virtual server. We can restore the whole server if we want, or just take some specific files. I like this duality of the product. That's how I put it on virtualized software.

What needs improvement?

The most important improvement would be for it to be updated to support new servers and we actually are in a situation that we are going to connect our Exchange service to a new one. They have to actually support new software as they are released and I think Veeam has promised to support new Windows upgrades which is important .

If they had some more agents for physical computers, that would also be a nice feature.

I have also been struggling with the storage, and in some cases I need to move things due to performance. We can use replication and we hope that this will help us continue with Veeam.

More than five years.

This solution is very stable. I have been struggling with the storage now and that's not Veeam's fault, but sometimes I have problems with it. We are short on storage right now, but because of some performance issues we have to reserve a room at our location and the connection between those two rooms is not great. I hope I found the cause of that problem so in this situation we actually have been struggling with storage. I know that Veeam has support for more storage. If there was a snapshot functionality on Veeam, it would help. I think we cannot use the replication part of the solution but I think we are going to use it more now when they have more of the location sites, and replicate to the different locations.

I know they have good support, but I haven't been using them very often. I'd like to try and figure out what the problem is myself. I know that we have a contract to use their help. Mostly I use the support for upgrades to new versions. I don't contact Veeam support very often.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy to install. If you miss some plugins for Windows, you actually can click "okay" and it's on the installation media. The installation is very easy.

It is a cheap solution with the ability to backup for our needs.

The price is great. It's software related, and I know that might be a good thing because it's a cheap solution to buy and we have been looking for a program for backup and they fit the bill. The price of Veeam and its software related products enable you to have your own hardware. You can use your own infrastructure and you can actually buy what you want. This is cost-effective. It might be that if you buy something else and they have media things it's very expensive but it works very well. If your company has pressure to actually get back data very quickly, it might not be possible with this solution. Our college environment doesn't seem to have this problem. There has not been much down time but I think if the server is broken, it just restores within an hour and everything returns back to normal.

What other advice do I have?

You can actually use the infrastructure you already have so you don't have to buy new hardware to actually start using it. That's the most important part about this solution.

1 visitor found this review helpful