BMC Helix ITSM Overview

BMC Helix ITSM is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: BMC Helix ITSM vs ServiceNow

What is BMC Helix ITSM?
BMC Remedy is an innovative service management platform built natively for mobile with an intuitive, beautiful, people-centric user experience that makes your whole organization more productive. Simple to use and powerful enough to manage the most advanced digital enterprises, Remedy can be delivered from the BMC cloud or your own data center.

BMC Helix ITSM is also known as Remedy ITSM, Remedy, Helix Remedy.

BMC Helix ITSM Buyer's Guide

Download the BMC Helix ITSM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

BMC Helix ITSM Customers
Brookfield, HealthSouth Corporation, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, Mercator, SAP, Stanford University
BMC Helix ITSM Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Information Security Specialist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
User
Smart IT reports and tracks ongoing issues. The tool has created more layers of bureaucracy.

What is our primary use case?

It is the enterprise ticketing system at KU Health Systems. We use it for incident management, asset management, knowledge management, problem management, release management, and change management. There are also several tools, such as SCCM, and other integration solutions (e.g., TLS) which ingest the data and give the executives a flash dashboard to look at. The idea is to reduce downtime and expedite recovery time.

• "Smart IT and the phone app are easily the most valuable features in reporting and tracking ongoing issues."
  • "We have experienced outages, because some other customers did something on the same cluster that we share."
  • "It has created more layers of bureaucracy."
Consultant / Project Manager at a tech consulting company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Full-featured, gave us incident/event management, based on monitors in our environment

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case was basic ITIL/ITSM.

• "Compared to ServiceNow, BMC Remedy is somewhat "closed." I can go to the ServiceNow website and learn everything there is to know about the product, and training is available. That really wasn't available with BMC Remedy."
    • "If I'm working with a client who wants to expand and move into other areas - they want to expand their workflow and other parts of the organization, they want to do some work with project management, they want to do some work with HR - I'm not sure that BMC Remedy is doing that. And it's because of their platform. Any software has a lifecycle. To me, BMC is a dated architecture."

What other advice do I have?

ServiceNow is expanding. If I were just choosing an ITSM system right now, it would be hard to choose, if you ignored the underlying platform. BMC Remedy is very old. It has a very old infrastructure. So if I ignored that, and the "openness" issue, it would be very hard to choose between BMC and Service Now. I would rate at nine out of 10. It did what we wanted it to do. We had some issues, but we caused those issues by the way we implemented it. I found that BMC training and BMC availability for learning how the system worked and for answering questions - if it wasn't in their manual, it was…
    Learn what your peers think about BMC Helix ITSM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
    479,894 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Service Management Team Leader at mStart
    User
    The ease of use and integration made it a worthwhile investment

What is our primary use case?

Aligning IT processes within your organization with best practices, like ITIL. Having all the processes, fields, and settings already setup out-of-the-box, thus minimizing implementation time.

• "Having all the processes, fields, and settings already setup out-of-the-box, thus minimizing implementation time."
    • "The ease of use and integration made it a worthwhile investment, since we did some integrations with other tools making our lives easier."
    • "Support could be more skilled. We are wasting too much of our time debugging.​"
    • "The amount of software issues are still too big, even considering the complexity of the tool."
    • "Whenever you start exploring some new product features, you run into defects. It has been like this for the last six years."
    Remedy Developer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MyIT is simple to use and its mobility is a big plus for our on the go users

What is our primary use case?

Managing our customer products, problems, and take-ons as well as our IT operations and change management. We also use it to manage our ever growing infrastructure.

• "MyIT is simple to use and its mobility is a big plus for our on the go users."
    • "The MyIT product has given our end users a much better perception of Remedy and made the product look more fluid. This has made people more likely to log calls rather than do work offline."
    • "SmartIT could include PR. This would help us greatly in bridging the gap between Remedy's views and SmartIT."
    • "From time to time, we had issues with stability, but I think that is our fault due to extra processes that we implemented to fit our business needs."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try. Demos are easy to come by. Speak to others using the product. If you are a medium or enterprise business, it is a great value.
    BMC Remedy Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Improved our organization with better reporting abilities

• "Improved our organization with better customer experience and reporting abilities."
    • "Needs less infrastructure requirements."
    • "Encountered issues with scalability and stability."
    • "It takes a long-time to plan and deploy the on-premise solution."
    SR. ITSM/BSM Consultant (Remedy) at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
    It is easy to be notified and update your work from a mobile

What is our primary use case?

We use Remedy to automate the ticket registration, attention, and solution from automatic creation to solve them on mobile devices.

How has it helped my organization?

This product helps us to better serve our customers, enabling them anyplace for making requests or updating tickets.

What is most valuable?

The mobile features are the best part of the new version. It is easy to be notified and update your work from a mobile, which is great. Also, the option to review reports and dashboards from the mobile.

What needs improvement?

Maybe the upgrade process and the release between environments should to be more transparent for anyone to execute it.
    IT Software Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    The versatility and customizability of the product is what I like most

What is our primary use case?

To manage the ITSM process in our organization and the organization's infrastructure via CMDB.

• "The way you can customize this product to adapt to the process the customer is already using is what sets this apart from other ITSM products out there. This helps customers to adapt to the tool pretty quickly."
    • "The versatility and customizability of the product is what I like most."
    • "The interface is one major complaint about this product."
    Senior Software Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    We have seen YOY customer satisfaction improvement for the last five years

What is our primary use case?

ITIL implementation in a corporate 100 technology company. Implemented the following: * Service Desk * Knowledge Management * Problem management * Asset Management * Service Level Management * Service Request Management. Now, we have MyIT and SmartIT implemented, which have a significantly improved UI.

• "It has been instrumental in aligning our service desk with the ITIL fundamentals and continuously improving the operating metrics of that area."
    • "We have seen year over year customer satisfaction improvement for the last five years."
    • "The interface is somewhat dated as compared to technologies in use today."
    • "Provide documentation on the content of the REST API interfaces. Right now, it is pretty much non-existent."
    Senior Developer Technical Lead at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

* Logging of incidents * Work orders * Purchase orders and change requests We use this to track all future development requests from our end users.

• "Provides a clean front-end for our users to log requests and has rich ITSM functionality."
    • "Initial, out-the-box setup was easy with no problems."
    • "Customer support is always fantastic and willing to help. No matter what time of day we have a problem."
    • "The Approval Central system needs to be refreshed."
    • "It would also be beneficial if there was a text-based editor for the workflow rules instead of using the developer studio, which adds a lot of time when developing quick solutions to problems."

What other advice do I have?

Look at cloud-based hosting to a provide a stable, easily expandable solution. We found on-premise did have a few challenges. With a proper well laid out project plan and some good developers, this solution is able to meet any requirements that your organization may have.
    Sr. Programmer/Analyst at a government with 10,001+ employees
    It has centralized all work orders and help desk ticket tracking, but adding additional fields does not work very well

What is our primary use case?

We use Remedy primarily for Change, Incident and Asset Management. We track all company assets.

• "Smart Reporting makes it easy to create/publish views for tables, so our customers can easily create their own reports."
    • "It has centralized all work orders and help desk ticket tracking."
    • "Adding additional fields does not work very well."
    BMC Remedy ITSM Admin/Developer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

BMC Remedy ITSM application solution is one of the best solutions in the market. This is one of the primary help desk management tool that we have. We use this tool for managing tickets, other employee related services, and reporting purposes.

• "Initial setup is straightforward, and if you follow best practices, then future enhancements will be smoother."
    • "We reduced many paper processes to electronic driven forms. It helps us a lot in tracking and managing."
    • "We use this tool for managing tickets, other employee related services, and reporting purposes."
    • "Needs to make customizable/configurable article templates in the Knowledge Management."

What other advice do I have?

Once you have the solution implemented, always follow best practices and have an admin in-house.
    Programmer/Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use Remedy as our ITIL solution for our IT department. Currently, we have a few projects starting up, which will also utilize it as a ticket intake system for non-IT as well.

• "Currently, the Service Catalog has the most value to it. Mainly, because we are able to offer IT functionality to non-IT people."
    • "Our Change Management and Incident Management​ processes have been greatly improved."
    • "We found that there was numerous issues upgrading from 8.1 to 9.1 in that all our licenses were broken for almost a year and a half. We chased down a total of 14 hotfixes, patches, and service packs before things were finally resolved. During that time, said "fixes" also broke other things, so it was quite the sore spot with management for some time."
    Service Management Senior Systems Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    With service requests, we have been able to give visibility to business users. However, we have little ability to customize and correct issues.

What is our primary use case?

I am an administrator and developer of BMC Remedy ITSM Suite. I create service requests, templates, and do day-to-day admin duties. I also create customizations due to requests or business needs.

How has it helped my organization?

We were using outdated applications and spreadsheets. Now, with service requests, we have been able to give visibility to the business users.

What is most valuable?

Service Request Management was the first big win for our company. We are currently implementing Change Management and look forward to seeing more benefits.

What needs improvement?

Smart Reporting was added, then was purchased from another vendor. We have little ability to customize and correct issues due to this.  I would also love to see consistency across…
    ICT Specialist with 10,001+ employees
    The main benefit is providing the right information to our decision-makers

What is our primary use case?

Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) as a service level process use. I use the reporting console to make reports for managers.

How has it helped my organization?

Reports have helped us to improve our IT processes. The main benefit is providing the right information to our decision-makers.

What is most valuable?

From a business point of view, it is important to have a tool that is scalable and has the possibility to modify reports of different indicators. This functionality has improved significantly.

What needs improvement?

Maybe it could be more simplified and easier to change the reporting point of view, like from a different vendor to another.

Three to five years.
    KK
    Senior Technical Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The IT service management and change request creation features are valuable.

What is most valuable?

ITSM features CR creation

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us to implement ITIL and MSTOP.

What needs improvement?

Slow BI

I have used it for four years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues, as it offers a cloud-based solution.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is average. Technical Support: Technical support is 10/10.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

Remedy Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    It's easy to customize and provides a range of features you can customize with practically no exceptions.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you get a team that has the know how to implement this product. Like with all other things that are easy to use and easy to implement, it also is easy to muck things up when you have a team that does not know what it is doing. Find the right people, build a good implementation team, and more importantly, spend as much time as you can with the business analysis part making sure you get the implementation team involved in it. Do not sweat on the actual implementation. That part is the easy part once you have your requirements right.
    Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    All the features, including all modules like asset management, incident management, Service Request Management, CMDB, developing the applications using workflow, etc., are really cool.

What other advice do I have?

To me, I would say this is one of the best solution for Enterprise customers to fulfill their business needs. Be it managing their assets inventory or working through modules. It's quite user friendly as well. However, licensing and deployment may be difficult for the developers and implementers.
    ITSM Configuration Manager with 51-200 employees
    We automated discovery and mapping of assets. Each of the modules in this version have room of improvement.

What other advice do I have?

It’s not an easy product to use for the customers.
    Applications Support (Contract) at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It provides a way to rapidly develop and deploy a number of small, but important applications.

What other advice do I have?

Pretty darn good, but nothing's perfect. Know your business, their processes, and how they use other tools - seriously. "Implementation" often is interpreted as focusing on just a software installation, like running setup.exe and watching the blue status bar make it's way to 100%. Frankly the software install is so well defined that it should be automated - and it typically only represents 20-30% of an overall deployment. 80% of an implementation should be spent analyzing, configuring, and testing the various configurations and integrations required by your unique business. Don't forget the…
    Desktop Support at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It was simple to navigate and search for articles.​
    Sr. BMC Remedy Lead Developer (PM) at a transportation company
    The main valuable feature is the flexibility of the product -- the ability of being able to make it do almost anything we need it to do to adjust to our business needs and to do it very quickly.

What other advice do I have?

This is based on the older version of the product as we are slowly moving all our thick client apps to the Web. This has been a pain stacking process due to amount of applications we needed to move and to the multiple of "old" code we had to drag along with us. The next move will be the upgrade to version 9 which will be another huge and exciting step. This is an amazing powerful product, but like any product that has so much multi possibilities, it has its "quirkiness" that you need to learn to work with.
    Senior (Technical) Business Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We have the ability to utilise CMDB information. Desktop client should be an option for heavy users.

Valuable Features

The ability to utilise CMDB information is the most valuable feature for us as it helps us to see interlinkages between CIs.

Improvements to My Organization

It has improved our issue resolution and change management process.

Room for Improvement

Desktop client should be an option for heavy users.

We had no issues during the deployment.

We've not experienced any stability issues.

We've had no problem scaling it to our needs.

I've not had to contact technical support.

The initial set-up was straightforward.

Implementation Team

We performed the implementation in-house.

Other Advice

Have your business requirements confirmed prior to…
    BMC Remedy/ITSM Administrator and Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The most valuable feature is the ability to have ITIL Out Of The Box (OOTB) functionality that can be readily customised to fit the specific needs of any given business organisation.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is a complex one which does allow for flexibility and customisations. Clients should therefore be aware that there is a need for in-house administrators/developers. This may be reduced if the SaaS option is selected.
    BMC ITSM/Remedy Support Team Leader with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Flexibility in development and the capacity of being used by so many different kind of businesses are the most valuable features for us.

What other advice do I have?

The final product has an installation with many modules, so choose carefully according to what your needs are. If you have something simple and if you know how to develop, the price of getting this product will decrease a lot.
    BMC Remedy Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It has seamless integration with third-party products.

What is most valuable?

It has seamless integration with third-party products.

How has it helped my organization?

Improved IT service desk and change management functions within the organization.

What needs improvement?

On the Administration activity to be more user friendly in terms of capturing logs also more features to be included in development activity.

It's been 11 years now.

We had some issues but we have overcome all those.

How are customer service and

Senior ITSM Consultant at Sierra-Cedar
    It provides email notification that are triggered as and when there is an update on assigned ticket, unassigned ticket for pending and resolved.

What other advice do I have?

You can implement it with customizations per your requirements as it's a flexible product.
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It has ETL tools that support seamless integration and data load activities, reducing the timelines to deliver. At times, on some consoles, forms are loaded with too much information.

What other advice do I have?

For any project to be successful, everything should be meticulously planned and executed. Communication and collaboration with all the stakeholders is essential. Requirements and scope should be well defined and documented. Solution design should be optimal. One needs a great team with appropriate skill set for implementation. Check points should be well defined and system should be thoroughly tested before handing it over to the Customer. Post deployment support and documentation are important for smooth transition.
    Global IT Specialist (Clarity) at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Change Management, one of the most valuable features, helps us manage and maintain the company schedule of activities and resources.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great product, I would highly recommend it. My strong advice is to take your time to plan, understand your company, and design your processes with your team members to understand all aspects. You also need to schedule your time and implementation. Finally, understand that it’s teamwork, and without that no-one will be successful.
    Senior BMC Remedy Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    It's quick to build prototypes and fully fledged database based applications.​

What is most valuable?

The ease of installation and configuration is valuable. It's quick to build prototypes and full-fledged, database-based applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Product consultants who assist and maintain the product for customers.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be web based. The product also needs a client native (non web) version re-introduced.

I've been using the AR System for 20 years.

I've had no issues deploying it.

There have been no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

How are

Remedy Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    The most valuable features are its integration and development capacity.

What other advice do I have?

It might cost a few more bucks than its competitors like ServiceNow, but it certainly has a better technological edge over ServiceNow. I have heard of some shops that moved from Remedy to ServiceNow to take advantage of ServiceNow's smaller TCO, but then had several issues and problems with being able to successfully implement and use ServiceNow exactly how they would have wished to use it. Remedy has a motto of your business your way which is very fitting since that is exactly what it gives you.
    SAP GTS Functional Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    We can generate any reports as per our needs. The status based on email can be easily manipulated - needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

So far this is the best tool that I have used. The user interface is not difficult to understand.
    BMC ITSM Remedy Administrator / Developer / Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Using Service Request Management creates a Change Request and then sends, via a web service, a request to start a job on VMware to automatically create a server.

What other advice do I have?

The BMC Remedy products are reliable and cover all the ITIL processes. An advice would be to try to keep as low as possible the level of customizations.
    ITSM Admin & Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    ​CMDB & Asset management is very helpful in locating an asset. ​The SRM module is still pretty complex.

What other advice do I have?

Keep a balance between your ITIL processes and the tool. Don't break the costly product just to incorporate your old legacy process. When implementing it, you should avoid customising it too much, having complex SRM AIF forms. You should also ensure you don't have a customised approval process and having too much data in the CMDB.
    Support Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    ​This product allows us to efficiently track all outstanding tickets.

What is most valuable?

Multifunctional tracking

How has it helped my organization?

This product allows us to efficiently track all outstanding tickets. Enabling the submitter to update the diaries, reopen tickets, expedite and reroute for faster processing.

What needs improvement?

I believe the software can be a little bit more user friendly. It can be a bit busy when using the resources provided.

I've used it for eight years.

There were minimal issues due to a multi-office implementation.

There were minimal issues due to a multi-office implementation.

There were…
    Sr. BMC Remedy ITSM Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

For us, there are two main features that are most valuable: IT Service Management, and Service Support

How has it helped my organization?

It holds us accountable for IT services, leading to a reduction in IT service outages. It's also given us a tight and streamlined management of services and reduction in resource utilization.

What needs improvement?

It could be improved in the areas of cloud management, documentation, and training.

I've been using it for 10+ years.

We didn't encounter any issues with deployment.

It's been stable for us.

Network Field Operations at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We have been able to improve our SLAs because previously no one was assigned to a job and we could ignore it.

Valuable Features:

Call logging and escalation features are the most valuable for us because they are easy to use and with them, we can assign a request to a specific person or department.

Improvements to My Organization:

It made the organization better. We have been able to improve our SLAs because previously no one was assigned to a job and we could ignore it.

Room for Improvement:

It doesn't allow a person logging a call to assign the ticket to a specific department, but only to update it.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for seven months in the IT service desk.

Deployment Issues:

No issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

There have been no stability issues.

Scalability Issues:

No scalability issue.
    Remedy Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    Assets can be managed in the CMDB and Asset Management application. Any activity to be scheduled, such as weekly maintenance activity or change requests, can be raised at the same time.

What other advice do I have?

It is flexible and can be used for any type of company, whether it's finance, or transport, etc. It uses ITIL standards, and has the flexibility to integrate with other applications and can also be customized as needed. If you want your company to follow ITIL processes, want to use a tool which follows the standards, and is also flexible enough to be customized and integrated with other application or tools then I feel this is a good choice to invest in this tool.
    Principal Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    It is highly scalable but it is a complex enterprise application and needs proper administration on an ongoing basis.

What other advice do I have?

For large organisations, or a medium organisation that is now growing due to new acquisitions etc. (typically several thousand people strong and a large presence in one or more countries) BMC Remedy is surely a very good choice. For smaller organisations, there is the option of BMC Remedy-On-Demand (ROD), but then they may have cheaper alternatives - or at least options that give low starting price.
    Server Support Analyst at a government with 51-200 employees
    It provides ticket history, but is complex to use.

What other advice do I have?

This is a complex product that is quite expensive and there are other solutions out there at a lower cost, or you could work a trouble ticket system by using a Microsoft product.