Microsoft Azure DevOps Overview

Microsoft Azure DevOps is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Release Automation tools. It is most often compared to Jira: Microsoft Azure DevOps vs Jira

What is Microsoft Azure DevOps?

Azure DevOps Services is a cloud service for collaborating on code development. It provides an integrated set of features that you access through your web browser or IDE client, including the following:

• Git repositories for source control of your code.
  • Build and release management to support continuous integration and delivery of your apps.
  • Agile tools to support planning and tracking your work, code defects, and issues using Kanban and Scrum methods.
  • A variety of tools to test your apps, including manual/exploratory testing, load testing, and continuous testing.
  • Highly customizable dashboards for sharing progress and trends.
  • Built-in wiki for sharing information with your team.

Microsoft Azure DevOps is also known as Azure DevOps, VSTS, Visual Studio Team Services.

Microsoft Azure DevOps Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure DevOps Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Microsoft Azure DevOps Customers

Alaska Airlines, Iberia Airlines, Columbia, Skype

Microsoft Azure DevOps Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure DevOps pricing:
  • "It is the least expensive product in this class."

Microsoft Azure DevOps Reviews

IrvingGreen
Senior Director at Cloud Technovation
Nov 6, 2019
Good for the staging environment through to the production environment

What is our primary use case?

Building fast and reliable, amplified feedback loops in all stages of our software delivery and operations lifecycle. The business strives for built-in quality to ensure that everyone have correctly done their job. I trust my team with peer reviews of our designs, code, test and infrastructure.

• "Azure enables us to create a staging environment through to a production environment in an easier way and then get the code and run that."

What other advice do I have?

The first thing that I would suggest is to read the documentation for the platform. The online documentation changes pretty much every other week; there is always something new coming out. Practice, practice, and practice. Test, practice, and repeat. You need to know your way around the platform and the only way to do that is by hands-on practice. You can't break the environment, but you can speed things up on the thirteenth hour. It depends on how you configure things since every configuration is different. It's an excellent product that is taking into account current technology, yet also…
    reviewer1260639
    Chief Digital Officer (CDO) at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    Dec 15, 2020
    Easy to use, stable, and helps speed up production

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our Agile teams, however, we started off using it with our executive suite. Our executive team now meets in sprints every day. Sometimes it's a short 15 minutes, other times it can be up to an hour. We have two-week sprints and daily scrums associated with it. We've also rolled that down from the executive. We've got seven formal Agile teams running throughout the organization across our businesses. We probably have at least 40% of our staff now trained in Agile and using DevOps to execute the projects.

• "Typically the sprints themselves and managing the tasks have essentially eliminated our need for reporting."
    • "Some of the queries, the way they're built, need to be looked at. We need better query tools."

What other advice do I have?

We're just Microsoft customers. We don't have any business relationship with the company. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. I'd strongly recommend the solution to other organizations. I can't see us ever reversing back now after being on this for a year. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's relatively easy to use and it does what we need it to do.
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure DevOps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
    457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    DemisewAbera
    DevOps Engineer at Simprints
    Aug 16, 2020
    The least expensive of the competitors in this class continues to develop and benefits Microsoft users

What is our primary use case?

I took a part-time job doing a mentorship to guide the students on how to use cloud computing on the AW and Azure cloud resources. For that project, we go through each and every service on cloud computing that is part of the service platform. The new technology is called server-less technology. The goal of the mentorships is showing students how to fundamentally use these resources and explain the advantages and disadvantages of cloud computing over on-premises solutions.

• "Azure is an advantage when working with other Microsoft solutions."
    • "Azure has not yet advanced to the performance level of the other major competitors and is missing integration with important technologies."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Microsoft Azure DevOps as an eight-out-of-ten. It is not quite up to the level of other offerings in some ways but it is improving all the time.
    reviewer1357245
    Director - Quality Management at a performing arts with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jun 24, 2020
    Good user interface, easy to implement, and offers good reporting

• "The solution is easy to implement and easy to use."
    • "One thing I would note is that it's hard to know what is included or not in the product. Especially when you begin to try and compare it to other solutions. When you go to a site like VersionOne, they tell you Azure DevOps doesn't have this or that, and when you go to Microsoft, it says VersionOne doesn't have this or that. They could do a better job of laying out exactly what is on offer so customers know going in exactly what they'll get."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using at this time. I personally just love using Microsoft DevOps. I would recommend the solution to anyone. Organizations considering the solution should just go for it and they should get the complete orchestration. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I don't think that I have explored everything extensively yet. Any product definitely will have its own gaps, and since I'm not in a position to understand it 100%, I want to play it safe on ranking it at eight.
    Rodrigo Bassani
    Head Of Technology at Elogroup
    Dec 28, 2020
    Excellent integration; enables us to see all the steps in the lifecycle of our clients

What is our primary use case?

The first time I used the solution was to create a build for an Oracle application called SOA. We generated all the features in Azure DevOps to create the build and then we created a workflow. We are partners of Microsoft and I'm head of technology.

• "Provides us with user histories."
    • "Templates could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to start using this solution because the first five licenses are free. As a result, it's easy to track and compare with other solutions and it's easy to scale. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
    Wilson Gonzalez
    DevOps Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Jan 23, 2021
    A DevOps solution with a great pipeline feature

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure DevOps to store our code, manage our code, and publish it.

• "Everything that's related to the pipeline has been very good."
    • "I'd like to have something better for the test plan."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential Microsoft Azure DevOps users to start exploring the free options, which are pretty good. I use it myself as an independent. As soon as you start using it, you'll know that you have to pay because it's a good tool that we can have to manage our code. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Azure DevOps an nine.
    reviewer1322847
    Manager Systems Engineering at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Nov 29, 2020
    Helps to improve productivity but specific disciplines need to be addressed

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure DevOps to place our corporate servers into the cloud. We perform evaluations in the cloud for clients. Occasionally, we provide a hybrid solution in a specific cloud. For corporate work, we usually use a different cloud. With Microsoft Azure DevOps, as with any DevOps, it is not always possible to identify specific use cases. How do you identify a specific feature from a hundred requirements into a specific use case? It is very easy to lose detail. Traditional teams and ways of working methodically for safety-critical systems are not always prepared to handle that. It is important… more »

• "We can eliminate some of the middleman processes."
    • "It should be able to handle the different types. There is ecosystems engineering, and there is software applications engineering. There is a need to bring these teams together, but the disciplines don't integrate very well, and so it won't work."

What other advice do I have?

I would give Microsoft Azure DevOps a six out of 10. Microsoft Azure DevOps is not perfected yet, as it needs to be more user friendly. If it can achieve that it will eventually reach a 10.
    Hamid Nia
    Software Architect at EML
    Aug 16, 2020
    Easy to implement, good CD pipeline, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We normally use DevOps. On the application, everything has gone DevOps, however, we don't use the functions. All applications developed there have gone under Azure or AWS. We normally develop them to be able to not be dependent on anything, so if we want to deploy them in another environment, we can deploy them easily. If we want to use it in Azure, we use it in Azure. If we want AWS, we use it in AWS.

• "The initial setup is quick and easy."
    • "The functions have too much dependency right now, so it makes it really, really hard to upgrade and make a change in the code."

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Microsoft. I'd highly recommend Microsoft, and I recommend it more than any other solution. Everything is very simple and straightforward. The only worry for some organizations may be the cost. You need to be really, really careful. I'd rate the solution overall nine out of ten. I think it's really, really great. If the functions were a bit better, I'd give it a full ten out of ten.
    See 21 more Microsoft Azure DevOps Reviews
    Download our free Microsoft Azure DevOps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.