Microsoft Identity Manager Overview

Microsoft Identity Manager is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Identity Management (IM) tools. It is most often compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: Microsoft Identity Manager vs SailPoint IdentityIQ

What is Microsoft Identity Manager?

Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM) builds on the identity and access management capabilities of Forefront Identity Manager. MIM helps you manage the users, credentials, policies, and access within your organization. Additionally, MIM adds a hybrid experience, privileged access management capabilities, and support for new platforms.

Microsoft Identity Manager is also known as MIM, Forefront Identity Manager, FIM.

Microsoft Identity Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Identity Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Microsoft Identity Manager Customers

Dow Chemical Company (Dow), Whole Foods Market

Microsoft Identity Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Identity Manager pricing:
  • "Microsoft Identity Manager comes with the premium or community license. If the customer doesn't have a premium license, the reseller who sells the licenses of Microsoft to the enterprise can extend the license for the client."

Microsoft Identity Manager Reviews

Oupa Mpe
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
May 20, 2019
Secure on-premise and cloud-based workloads provide seamless authentication

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using a hybrid identity access management solution. We've got an on-premise ADFS that is running a Server 2016 ADFS farm. That is coupled to a Microsoft Identity Management Server 2016, which is then coupled to Azure Active Directory as the cloud-based identity and access management solution.

• "The feature that I find most valuable is the security layer of the identity and access management solution. The ability to secure on-premises and cloud-based workloads and to provide seamless authentication into hybrid workloads, which is also both on-premises and in cloud environments."
  • "In terms of the identity and access management solution for on-premises environment, I think Microsoft needs to eliminate or minimize the number of workloads for the solution to run in on-premises environment."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone implementing this solution would be to implement the on-premise identity and access management solution if they've got more than 1,000 identities on-premise. I strongly recommend implementing an on-premise environment in that case, or if they are a financial institution, such as a bank or underwriting institution. They also should implement the hybrid deployment, which means there would be an integration of the identity management solution sitting on-premises and a combination of the Azure Active Directory as an identity and access management in the cloud-based…
Venkatesh Ampolu
Principal Security Advisory Consultant and Delivery Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 11, 2019
Help users with different groups, closing different applications, access provision, and for de-provisioning access to different applications

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft Identity Manager to help users with different groups, closing different applications, access provision, and for de-provisioning access for different applications.

• "Microsoft integration products are strong. That is what I like about the product."
  • "Instead of using the connectors from the third-party companies, they should make the Microsoft templates available with this product. If Microsoft would increase the number of the box connectors that would be helpful to all the customers who use it daily."

What other advice do I have?

The out of the box connectors need to be increased. We can integrate with multiple applications to connect together through using Microsoft Identity Manager. I would grade Microsoft Identity Manager at 7 or 8 out of 10. I wouldn't give it a ten because of the lack of out of box connectors. I don't see any other drawback in the product.
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Identity Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,962 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Samuel Calys-Tagoe
IT Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Oct 14, 2019
A solution with good tracking functionality and security in an enterprise-level environment

• "The most valuable feature of the solution is the fact that I can use it to track who is sending which email, who is accessing which documents or which files, etc. These tools help me improve security within the enterprise environment."

What other advice do I have?

Over the years Microsoft has improved a lot. We don't have problems like we used to have in previous versions. There's still more room for improvement, however. They have begun listening to their customers, and they are bringing out features that customers are asking for and if I can get that from an OEM it gives me the assurance that everyone is being taken care of. I would recommend the solution, however if a person is considering implementing it, they need to have a plan. Otherwise, they might start off and only after realize that there are options that weren't implemented well. It's good…
    Jiju Gopinath
    Vice President, IT Infrastructure & Information Security at KAMCO
    May 17, 2019
    An all-encompassing solution that is stable and continuously improving

What is our primary use case?

We work with Microsoft Active Directory, Azure Active Directory, and Microsoft Services as an identity and access management system. This solution provides privileged identity management single sign-on, so we're focusing on that.

• "The features that we find most valuable are security, mobility, and Single Sign-On."
    • "They have to improve the User Entity and Behavioral Analysis."

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend this solution. It encompasses the cloud, on-premises applications, mobility, and on-premises users. The modern enterprise encrypted license is one of the best solutions to go for because of the mobility and security for the workforce, as well as for the company. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    reviewer1387944
    Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Aug 3, 2020
    Any action requires logging into the server which creates delays; powerful synchronization tool

What is our primary use case?

We use the synchronization service the company provides for data synchronization. We're customers of Microsoft and I'm the company manager.

• "Very powerful synchronization tool."
    • "All actions require logging in to the server."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a five out of 10.
    reviewer1220571
    Sr. Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Jan 31, 2020
    A scalable solution that is easy to set up and offers conditional access

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for the single migration of the user from on-premises to Azure Active Directory in the cloud. It is also used for the Microsoft authentication application for mobile devices. We authenticate on the smart device back to back so they can access their emails and other applications. We are planning to use this for the Windows 10 authentication as well as directly from the Azure Active Directory.

• "The most valuable and most interesting feature is the conditional access."
    • "The information that is available for the Active Directory portal is segregated here and there."

What other advice do I have?

I would say that it's the best solution on the market and I would go ahead with it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
    CTO9b3b
    CTO at a music company with 10,001+ employees
    May 20, 2019
    Protects our company documents and integrates with our SharePoint Global Portal

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to secure the identity of our customer. It is required for compliance and for making our systems very secure.

• "The most valuable feature is that it provides protection for our company documents."
    • "This product was only launched two or three years ago and it is still in the process of becoming stable."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to a colleague at another company. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
    Product Categories
    Identity Management (IM)
    Download our free Microsoft Identity Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.