Zscaler Internet Access Overview

Zscaler Internet Access is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Web Security Gateways. It is most often compared to Cisco Umbrella: Zscaler Internet Access vs Cisco Umbrella

What is Zscaler Internet Access?

Zscaler Web Security provides unmatched security, visibility and control, going beyond the basics of web content filtering. Delivered in the cloud, Zscaler includes award-winning web security integrated with our robust network security platform that features advanced threat protection, real-time analytics and forensics. You'll get protection across every user, location and device, including laptops, smartphones, tablets and Internet of Things devices.

For more details:

Zscaler Internet Access is also known as ZIA.

Zscaler Internet Access Buyer's Guide

Download the Zscaler Internet Access Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Zscaler Internet Access Customers

Ulster-Greene ARC, BanRegio, HDFC, Ralcorp Holdings Inc., British American Tobacco, Med America Billing Services Inc., Lanco Group, Aquafil, Telefonica, Swisscom, Brigade Group

Zscaler Internet Access Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Zscaler Internet Access pricing:
  • "Roughly, we might spend $70,000 a month on the solution. We don't pay for anything beyond the standard licensing fee."
  • "Our monthly fee is around R3000."

DC
Global Information Security Architect at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Popular
Centralized firewall that protects the whole topography

What is our primary use case?

We use it for security. We installed it on our work computers and also for other traffic from the office. We are using it for perimeter security and that is useful for us.

• "The scanning feature is impressive, because they do not introduce a big latency to the traffic."
  • "I would like to see the ability to choose a pool of IPs for my company, set up rules based on them, and know that those IPs are not used by other companies."

What other advice do I have?

Check if a product like this makes sense for you. And look at the specifics: what you need in terms of security and what features you would like to have in it. Zscaler is one solution. It's a good solution, but it doesn't do everything. First of all, analyze a few solutions and make a demo. Without a demo, I do not recommend moving forward, because any security solution comes with a price. There is also the financial price, to know if that is okay for your company. Usually Zscaler works best for companies that have users that do not stay in an office. They have road warriors. I would recommend…
KS
Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Excellent for securing web traffic, but the solution needs to grow into DLP

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to secure internet traffic. Users want to make sure that the site doesn't have DDoS attacks or any malware. Zscaler is able to protect data for individual organizations and for the country as well.

• "The best thing about Zscaler Internet Access is the website filtering. In the UAE it's quite an important feature because most of the malware comes through the SQL injection and through downloads from websites. Zscaler helps protect against that."
  • "In terms of usage, here in the GCC, it's still growing a growing market, so the combination of DLP, data leak prevention, to a certain extent is fine. But what it requires is user-based access or role-based access. The solution needs to grow into that, which definitely takes time. There's not an easy way to integrate it, when you have a cloud-based solution."

What other advice do I have?

With MSS service providers, they prefer to have an on-prem OPEX-based deployment model. Like telecom providers or data center service providers, they buy the service and roll it out to customers or sell it to their own customers for a monthly fee. We have a mix of clients who prefer to have private clouds and hybrid models. There is competition, with, for example, iboss and Fortinet in the region. iboss is hardware-free but the company is young and still growing. It's not there yet. Zscaler, however, the way they have matured the market and have become a mature model, makes them preferred over…
Learn what your peers think about Zscaler Internet Access. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SH
Managing Director at Onesecure
A stable, infinitely scalable solution with excellent protection features

• "The initial setup was straightforward. The biggest thing for us was to build our own policies. The deployment itself was only a few hours."
  • "In every cloud service in the world, you have multiple upstream internet providers to create diversity so that if one of your providers fails, your network just continues. In South Africa, there is only one upstream provider, and that's not right. That that's a problem."

What other advice do I have?

We use the ZIA Business Suite, a version of Zscaler Internet Access. We use the public cloud deployment model. The solution is very straightforward. That's what we like about the cloud - all the capabilities that are there, and that are available immediately. There are things customers really have to have before they integrate the Zscaler. They need to understand ADFS and have it integrated properly into their own network. As long as the customers that you work with do the work required of them before integrating Zscaler, then it's seamless. The problems we encounter happen when customers…
Gregor Burow
Channel Alliances Leader Germany at ALE
A stable solution with good security but needs to do more to address phishing emails

What is our primary use case?

The product is an endpoint solution for private and internet security. I use it myself in my home office. I'm in sales. I use it as an endpoint solution for my laptop, for my device, in order to get access to some internal service applications, such as pricing and time management tools.

• "The security is excellent."
  • "I don't know whether it's Zscaler or not, however, sometimes I can't access my time management. I need to wait and try again a few hours later. Typically, if I let some time pass, I can access it again."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. I would recommend other users also have a glance at other solutions. Options like Prisma Access by Palo Alto or Check Point may be ideal, depending on the needs of the business. Zscaler seems easy to understand and easy to use, however, there is probably some room for improvements. At my former company, we were using Check Point. This was also pretty good. Zscaler seems more modern, however, I'm referencing an experience from some 10 years ago. Overall, I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
SR
IT Manager at SiVEST
Protect users from internet threats no matter where in the world they are

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this web security solution to protect our users in remote locations or branches from internet threats. It is very important for our organization to protect our users, even if they are not connected to our network.

• "Zscaler Web Security protects our users in remote locations from internet threats - even if they are not connected to our network."
  • "Another thing that I would like to see is if Zscaler could have a separate product for direct access. I looked at a private access solution, but I understand there's a separate product that isn't integrated with this."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other users would be to determine if the reporting meets their requirements. They should get their whitelists, blacklists, groups and active directory set up properly before trying to implement it because it has a very strong integration with the active directory. Therefore, if you have your active directory well set up, you can classify your users and create groups as to who can go where and who can do what on the internet. If I have to rate this product, I will give it a nine out of ten - simply because I never give anything a ten.
DB
IT Projects & Innovation Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Protects from malware and malicious attacks but it needs better integration

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for the protection from malware and malicious attacks. We also use it for bandwidth control to compare business and individual use. We use it in conjunction with Palo Alto.

• "The most valuable feature is bandwidth control."
  • "It also needs better integration with other applications as well. There are some restrictions."

What other advice do I have?

It was also one of four other products I believe but the Zscaler I can say that for bandwidth control, it is good, so we are not using at the moment data loss prevention feature so I cannot comment on that, but I believe, when you use Zscaler, you are not protected from all malware and malicious attacks, so you may need another tool just to cover these gaps. Zscaler is not enough for advanced protection. You need an additional tool. Bandwidth control, reporting, and visibility are good but the cloud-based and the advanced protection aren't so great so I would give it a six out of ten.
LC
Managing Partner with 1-10 employees
A mature and scalable solution that needs to further expand to include adjacent services

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for the solution is to provide better more mature security for our client's networks.

• "The solution offers a distributed organization to master and to control all of the endpoints."
  • "Zscaler should provide adjacent services, which would be complementary to their current offering that could to be more pragmatic for a customer. For example, if you take Akamai, you get multiple sets of services, all depending on the customer and the strategy and the complexity and the problems. In some areas, they are more varied in terms of coverage."

What other advice do I have?

I'm currently consulting clients, and have worked with this solution extensively in the past. Most of my clients are moving from a private cloud to a hybrid cloud deployment model. The way Zscaler has shaped their product is very good. Now they need to expand the coverage and to have a more global service. For mid-players and sometimes top-players, multiplying the numbers of providers to build an integrated solution is a complex endeavor. If Zscaler expanded their services, that would remove some complexity, I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
HM
Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good VPN technology and scales with our requirements

What is our primary use case?

We use Zscaler for VPN connections and for internet security.

• "The VPN is valuable, as the whole technology is very different from a traditional VPN."
  • "There are a few features that are not compatible with the Azure cloud."

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I completely recommend it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.