Atlassian Confluence Review

Many people enjoy its zero learning-curve

What is our primary use case?

There are two use cases for using Confluence wiki:

• Team notes
  • Software documentation.

How has it helped my organization?

Wiki is a simple tool for developers to write and record team decisions explaining the product that they are creating.

What is most valuable?

The best features are the following:

• Automated TOC
  • Horizontal tabbing option
  • Expanding drop down lists
  • Easy image integration
  • Access to the underlying HTML
  • The list of macros in the drop down.

What needs improvement?

There is no concept of peer review or a draft mode - whatever you write is live. What typically happens is that the navigation bar becomes frighteningly large and difficult to read unless someone takes the reigns and curbs the knee jerk reaction to keep creating new branches in wiki's hierarchical tree.

More than five years.

No issues.

No issues.

Never tried to contact them. There is a lot of info on the web about Confluence wiki if you need help.

Wiki has been used for a long time at my company. Many people enjoy its zero learning-curve.

In-house.

What other advice do I have?

Wiki is a good solution for non-tech writers. It is easy to learn and has a number of good features. The writing does not live beside the code, like GitHub Markdown does, nor does the wiki editor contain advanced editing features, like MindTouch, Oxygen, and other DITA editors. However, its simplicity encourages non-writers to document what they are doing.

1 Comment
BenHaleReal UserTOP 20

We have found this tool to be very valuable in the knowledge creation and capture arena which helps in the onboarding and ramping up of new team members. I agree with some of the comments that you have to put some thought into the creation of Spaces but the organic nature of things is it's real strength and it naturally encourages content creation instead of making it difficult.

13 April 18