Cisco Unified Communications Review
Question regarding Unified Communications

Hi,

I have been tasked to prepare a plan to upgrade our analogue telephone system into a full-IP unified communications system. A local system integrator and long time Cisco partner recently conducted a product demonstration of the system to us for two weeks. We were able to use the product and so far was happy about what we saw.

However, we were not able to fully test all the functionality we wanted to use on the system for those two weeks. For those of you who have experience using this as your IP communications system, I would like to know your experiences with using this product, specially with large scale inter-campus or inter-office deployments. Any comment or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

2 Comments

it_user239739Real UserTOP 20

mas que probado ahorro sustancial, integracion y administracion facil y rapida

25 May 15
it_user208755Real User

I have been managing the Cisco UC systems for a long time now. I have deployed systems to multiple sites in the US and world wide. From my experience, the Cisco UC system works very, very well. The key to success is standardization. if you allow each site to have their own configuration type, their own features that are different from other sites, maintenance and troubleshooting become a nightmare.
Make sure you understand what is needed to support all of the features you want to use. There can be hardware and licensing costs associated with certain aspects of the system, and you should understand what you will need before purchasing. As an example, if you wish to use Jabber, and have it accessible from outside of your network you need to have the Expressway servers which are new to Cisco's UC solution this year. The servers (virtual) are free, but if you then intend to set up video conferencing, and allow connections from outside your network, there is further licensing that you will need to purchase.

If you take the time to be sure you are getting everything you will need, and you have a solid partner to implement the system, you should be very happy with the final product.

30 June 15