IBM Maximo Review

Hosts a powerful database and integrates well with CMDB, but it is complex to set up and difficult to customize

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM Maximo as a service desk. It is primarily used for incident management but also covers service request management, asset management, and other areas.

What is most valuable?

The most powerful features are the database and integration with CMDB.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not very easy or user-friendly and is in need of improvement.

Compared to products like ServiceNow or Jira, it is very difficult to customize Maximo. For example, a layperson is able to customize ServiceNow or Jira to a certain degree, but that is not possible with IBM Maximo. The customizations are code-based and it requires a programmer to do the work.

The licensing model should be much simpler for an organization like us to add more end-users. As it is now, we have to keep looking back at the available licenses.

Maximo has been in use for more than a decade in our company.

This is a stable product.

The scalability is quite good. We have between 2,000 and 3,000 users in the company. Most of them are end-users, although there are a few administrators who can make changes.

The support is not bad because we have a local support team that is available around the clock. We have a local support contract with one of the service providers that offers complete support for a variety of products.

For cases that the local team is not able to handle, we can open up a ticket with the IBM product team and they respond accordingly. Ultimately, in any case, the support is fine.

The company has been using IBM Maximo since before I joined. My understanding is that they were using solutions by HP, including HP Service Desk. However, I do not know the specific reasons for the switch. All I have been told is that HP was more expensive at the time, but there could be other factors involved.

The initial setup is quite complex and it takes a long time. In particular, in our environment, we are using it quite extensively for event and incident management. These are core areas for us and it is a bit complex.

We are considering moving away from IBM Maximo to Jira. We have evaluated both Jira and ServiceNow, and the interfaces are GUI-based, making them easier to use and easier to customize. In general, they are much easier to change and adapt to the end-user requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

More IBM Maximo reviews from users