IBM Maximo Review

Gives us control over inventory levels reducing them greatly, but maintenance KPIs need work

How has it helped my organization?

When we integrated the Maximo DB with the BI tool, we were able to track and manage the inventory levels in much more controllable way, and reduced the inventory levels significantly within one year.

What is most valuable?

• Preventive maintenance management
  • Maintenance management

What needs improvement?

1. Inventory management, especially:

• item cards – I need to be able to track item balance and history back to a given date
  • inventory financial reports need a lot of enhancement
  • consignment stock management has an issue – raised with the vendor
  • reorder process and define reorder levels
  • inventory lead time recommendation, according to transaction history

2. Purchasing management

• Vendor management needs enhancement

3. Maintenance KPIs like OOE , Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF), Mean Time To Repair (MTTR) need more enhancement

4. Operating budget management (recently added in version 7.6 ) but it is late in coming.

More than five years.

Sometimes I have had issues with with the web server which we use (IBM WebSphere) but we solved it.

No issues, this software is very efficient regarding scalability.

I would give it an eight out of 10.

The data gathering and data engineering were complex, but once they are done the remaining steps were straightforward.

The concurrent user license is much more effective in management and cost-wise, as it is more suitable for maintenance management.

I was not involved in this process at my current company.

What other advice do I have?

1. Defining your business processes is vital for the success of this product.
  2. End-user training should be implemented according to your processes.
  3. Using Agile methodology fits well with this product, to ensure fast response to business changes.