Microsoft OneDrive Review

Together with Office 365, it helps me collaborate instead of sending attachments via email to colleagues.

Valuable Features:

On OneDrive for Business, I like a lot the similar environment as I have actually in SharePoint Server. It’s because of the same “background”. OneDrive is nothing but a customized SharePoint subsite. If you have Office 365, you can take a look on the site collection dedicated to OneDrive for Business. The funny thing is that this site collection doesn’t spend any space (1 TB of SharePoint space and unlimited space in OneDrive for Business in E3 plan). Another great feature is the possibility of selecting specific folders to synchronize – this specific function was for me, finally, proof of the readiness of this tool for my purposes and decision-maker for migration to OneDrive for Business from the other tools. The next very important features are bandwidth control in the latest version and the possibility to pause the synchronization.

Improvements to My Organization:

Regarding my organization, this product helps me a lot, together with latest version of Office 365, to collaborate a little bit more instead of sending huge attachments via email to 10 colleagues etc. This moment was really great. A lot of my colleagues discover functions in Office 2016 especially in Outlook – where you are able to add attachments from latest documents (not only Office) and if you work with documents directly from the cloud (SharePoint/OneDrive for Business), you are able to add just the shortcut to the cloud destination. This is better collaboration. I always say that you will discover the level of company collaboration based on the size of the Exchange mailbox. J

Room for Improvement:

Well, compared to some other products, there is a lot of room for improvements. To be honest, I have already referred to bandwidth control, about the possibility to select folders to synchronize etc. These are really old features in other products and in OneDrive for Business, it is hot news. So I think that there is a lot of room for improvements. I think that it is good idea to continue with improvements to the desktop client tool. I also like the merge between the OneDrive and OneDrive for Business (now, it is the same process in task manager).

Implementation Team:

From my point of view, there should be cooperation between the company data and network share drives that can can be partially extended (if not completely migrated) to cloud. I understand that some of the data cannot be just moved outside the organization, but in almost 100% of the time, this is not related to all the data.

It is important to decide what data should be migrated to the company SharePoint and which one should be migrated to the company OneDrive for Business. For example, Home folders are another excellent case related to possibility of migration to OneDrive for Business. In the latest versions, the borders between the SharePoint document libraries and OneDrive for business are almost gone. These two entities look almost the same and other changes will come.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Redtoo, where I work at the moment in the position of Principal Architect and Head of Microsoft Department, are a Microsoft Silver Partner in six competencies.