Oracle Service Bus Review
We can generate a specific URL with our naming convention. We know where it goes, who's calling it, what environment it's for.

What is most valuable?

It's sort of a one-stop shop for web services. All of our web services interact with each other. Instead of calling specific server host names and specific URLs, we call the OSB service bus URL that's configured for that specific client. It's very simple to know where things are going because we can generate the URL specifically with our naming convention, so that we know where it goes, who's calling it, what environment it's for.

What needs improvement?

With the most recent version, 12c, I'm still getting use to using it, learning how to use it, how to configure it. The Oracle documentation is OK, but there aren’t a lot of good examples for me to follow. It describes the concepts and what it can do, but how to apply them has been a struggle, so far. I'm still looking for help in that area.

I have been using it for at least eight years.

It is very stable. It processes hundreds of thousands of transactions per month. Once, with our primary system for handling customers coming into our site for orders and order information, the customer would come in and send an email to our internal users; that crashed our Exchange server but OSB kept running. It was fine. It's very stable and it has to be for what it does. It's kind of like a load balancer in a way; if it goes down, then everything behind it will stop operating.

It can meet our scaling needs moving forward. I would be surprised to see it have a problem with scalability.

Technical support is OK. We know what to expect from Oracle support. You're going to ask a question. Generally, you're provided with a document: "Check out this support doc. Does this answer your question?" If it doesn't right away, then they'll take a closer look.

It's OK. It's not ideal, but after working with it for so many years, I know what to expect out of it.

Initial setup is pretty straightforward for an Oracle product. Again, we know what to expect with it and it works well.

What other advice do I have?

When I select a vendor to work with, I look for reliability and ease of use. Performance is everything and this has proven itself over the years. That's why we keep using it.