Ruckus Wireless Review

Good coverage and durability, helpful training, and good support

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Ruckus Wireless is one of the products that we implement to assist our customers with providing Wi-Fi services.

Our customers are primarily in the hospitality industry, such as resorts. This solution allows them to provide Wi-Fi services to their staff and guests.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the coverage and durability.

The best thing about Ruckus is support.

The training is very helpful and very good.

The user interface for the controller is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The failure spots need to be improved, as sometimes I have trouble reaching them.

I would like to see better mapping capability because it can be really difficult, especially if you are deploying on a remote island.

We have been working with Ruckus for more than six years, and with the wireless solution for about four years.

We have had no issues with malfunctions or coverage with the access points. However, every two or three months we have periods with downtime because of internet outages or power outages on remote islands. While this is a break in service, it is not caused by a failure on the part of Ruckus.

Scaling this product is pretty straightforward. On one of the island resorts that we deployed on, they have 120 villas in addition to the staff accommodations. In total, there are more than a thousand people in the resort.

In addition to the resort, we supply wireless coverage to the rest of the island. This brings the total number of users to more than 3,000.

Technical support from Ruckus is very good. We don't have to contact them very often because there are no major issues with the access points. When we last contacted them, they responded and resolved our issue within 12 hours.

I have experience with similar solutions from different vendors, such as Aruba. In particular with Aruba, I have had huge problems with coverage. We have had other difficulties with their solutions, as well. With Ruckus, on the other hand, it is a really robust technology and the coverage it provides is helpful during deployment. In general, it is a much better solution than Aruba.

For me, the initial setup is really straightforward. Some people, however, find it a little bit tough. The controller is a little bit difficult to work with until you have some experience.

Our in-house team handles implementation and deployment for our customers, as well as the maintenance.

For the physical installation, including pulling cables and termination, we use two people. This is more than enough for 300 access points. For the initial setup and configuration, we have another two people, bringing the total size of the deployment team to four people.

As an example, for one resort island, the total deployment took about two months. The installation and configuration can be completed within one night, once all of the hardware is in place.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is that it is a good product, with good support, it is easy to set up, and the coverage is good. In a small to medium-sized business, you may not even need training to set up the controller.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

More Ruckus Wireless reviews from users