SolarWinds NPM Review
We needed a way to have visibility into issues on our network.

Valuable Features

Bandwidth utilization and netflow reports

Improvements to My Organization

Our bandwidth consumption continues growing. We need to be aware of overutilization of our circuits. SolarWinds helps us have visibility to the most relevant issues in our network and makes our problem solving process much faster and easier.

Room for Improvement

IPAM. We wish it would work with Cisco CNR and help us manage all of our DHCP servers from a centralized platform.

Use of Solution

7 years

We did have issues while upgrading, but gladly SolarWinds provided good service and assisted us to resolve those issues.

We didn't have any issues with stability.

No. The performance problems that we have experienced at times are due to hardware limitations.

Outstanding

Outstanding

No other product in the market offers as much as SolarWinds does for the price. Great value.

Initial installation is straightforward. However, upgrading can be quite complex if you have multiple polling servers, as you need to carefully follow the same steps and upgrade path on each server.

Implementation Team

The installation was done in-house.

ROI

I cannot put this into numbers, but from an engineering perspective I believe there is no other product that provides as much value for the buck.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It was set-up before I was hired and therefore I do not have cost information.

Other Solutions Considered

No other options were considered.

Other Advice

Make sure that you have the required hardware and dedicated SQL server. Trying to save money can have a major performance problem on your SolarWinds implementation. Make sure you meet the requirements.

2 Comments

it_user114003Real UserTOP 5

We have also been very pleased with the Solarwinds Product Line. NPM & NCM both are very stable products and the price we paid can't be beat. There have only been a couple of times that something happened to cause us to restart a service. We are happy customers!

15 December 14
Alex Livingstone Ong'wenReal UserTOP 10

Steve I am in agreement, I like the simplicity that comes with SolarWinds system. I use NPM, NTA, NCM for configuration back up and IPAM to manage ip address. With its alerting system you don't have to wait for users to complain that they don't have connectivity. I would recommend SolarWinds to any network engineer any time.

15 December 14