SolarWinds NPM Review

It enables us to monitor the health and functionality of our nodes on the MPLS.

Valuable Features

It gives us an insight on what we need to monitor on our network. We get granulated data on where issues are occurring in regards to traffic latency and bandwidth utilization. Also we can monitor the health and functionality of our nodes on the MPLS.

Both the NPM and the NTA modules. We are able to track down information in regards what kind of traffic is being generated on our network and also help us determine what applications we can allow and what not to allow.

Improvements to My Organization

We were able to determine if end users were using the network to do work related stuff or otherwise and reduce bandwidth hogging for non-business related activities on the network.

Room for Improvement

So far I am satisfied with the result but I am still learning how it works.

Use of Solution

One year

No it was very straight forward. You have understand the concept of networking to apply the tool. If you do then implementing it is easy. There were some version releases that had stability issues but the support team was very good at letting us know what we needed to do to fix the issues.

Scalability was not a problem. We only monitor nodes that matter most on the environment. This makes managing the environment easier. Less is more`

They have always been helpful when we needed support I have no complaint at all.

I would rate it at an 8 out of 10

We used network instruments. For what we were trying to accomplish it was not just doing it to the level we needed and it was not very straight forward to use either.

The initial set up was very straight forward. I think complication comes with differences in environment.

Implementation Team

It was an in house implementation and I did it myself.

ROI

ROI on this has been fantastic. It was supposed to be a very expensive investment. We got a good deal and the product did not disappoint it has definitely help us dodge several bullets on several occasions.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Product including support was about $6000 but I would say for what its able to help us do its more than that.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes I was able to go through a whole bunch of options such as managed engine but I was not very impressed with the licensing scheme. Also most products were SAAS and we wanted independence and ownership over the product.

Other Advice

I would say understand your environment and what you want to see. Also know what you deem important to your business and policies that guide your network usage. Not everyone one would find this particular product to their liking but for those who want to get to the granular level of assessment this is definitely a product to look at.

Also they have now added a feature where the traditional style of setting up monitoring reports is no longer necessary. Initially you had to create complex alerting to know what happened at a particular time. Now you just have to filter by date and time and you can choose what network protocols to filter by to see what happened at a particular point and time in real time stats.

4 visitors found this review helpful
5 Comments
Ravi SuvvariReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Very valuable inputs regarding NP monitor Isaiah; Thank you for sharing sample snapshots
-- Ravi Suvvari

07 April 15
User at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employeesReal User

No problem sir. I was glad I could help. its a neat tool to use for monitoring your network and its been worth the investment.

16 May 15
Wireless Network Engineer - Indoor Technical Head at a tech services companyReal User

Hi, Did you also consider Fluke? some says it's better to have Fluke (TruView). Before I buy I just want to make sure I buy the right one. Hope you can help me. tnx!

26 June 15
Vijay KhatriReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

NPM works well on VMs also. Its been a year using NPM and other modules on VM. Solarwinds technical support is good also.

29 March 16
Alok MalviUser

I am among the few Solarwinds Certified Professional and have been working on Solarwinds for around 8-10 years now. I have been amazed at the way it has been consistently improving to cater to the ever-growing needs of infrastructure monitoring. The extreme reliance on IT in the current scenario makes monitoring of the system more critical than ever. From the days of Up/down monitoring things have gotten smarter and smarter and Solarwinds has been keeping up very well. I have worked on majority of their modules at Small, Medium as well as Large enterprise level. And for the most part Solarwinds suite has not disappointed me. Agreed that there is no perfection and always a scope to improve what keeps Solarwinds surging ahead is their agility to quickly encompass path breaking enhancements or an altogether new module.

Some highlights:
The quick installation which results in a satisfying experience of having the system up and running in no time is still their advantage.
The seamless integration and lucid interface makes it easy to get to the root cause in no time.
Flexible options now to have a few standalone modules as well.
The fantastic Thwack community with priceless contribution.
Ease of administration for the most part. A small portion is a bit convoluted which can be due to the fact that it has many features and is now a giant suite of software.
Abundance of knowledge base

Some areas of improvements:
Some features are still old school - like requesting new OID/MIB and then downloading and updating them
Complicated upgrade
Some features have been requested for years and is still not implemented.
Web based alerting is a pain compared to the original windows application where once could simultaneously work on multiple alerts at the same time and copy paste content.
Not the most satisfactory Failover/standby solution.

Overall it is an extremely feature rich suite of monitoring software with a hunger to get into the Gartner's leader quadrant .

02 May 17