SolarWinds NPM Review

It offers dashboard customization and integrates with other tools to provide a single pane of glass.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
  • Ease of training for others
  • Good reporting
  • Nice dashboard customization options
  • Good map building capabilities
  • Good integration with other SolarWinds tools to provide a “single pane of glass”
  • Great support
  • Great online community, “Thwack”

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to unify our entire company under one monitoring solution that works for everybody, saving a ton of time and significantly speeding up problem-resolution time.

What needs improvement?

• More automation around node additions and management

With regard to this I am looking for a faster way to add nodes. Currently we deploy nodes in bulk into different environments for our clients and having the ability to have monitoring deploy equally fast would be helpful versus having to spend a significant amount of time manually adding each system. I did recently open a Feature Request for this HERE with SolarWinds.

• Adding multi-tenancy into the product

We are a hosting provider and we give our clients access to Orion to see their nodes. Orion is not a multi-tenancy platform by design so I am continually challenged to provide clients access in a way that limits them to only see their stuff. In a more true multi-tenancy platform, it would be easy to choose what a client sees and what they don’t and not have to worry if there is a way to work around or break free of the limitations.

• Providing more monitoring capabilities for public cloud such as Azure, AWS, etc.

We are a Hybrid Cloud service provider and we work very closely with Microsoft and Azure. Currently, I am able to monitor nodes in Azure just fine, but I don’t have a good way to monitor PaaS based services.

I have used it for about 10 years.

There have been some versions that have had stability issues, but the current version seems pretty stable.

Technical support is fantastic.

We previously used HPE OpenView, OpenNMS and Zenoss.

The initial setup is very straightforward; you can have it running in about an hour.

Compared to other solutions on the market, the pricing is very good. The licensing is a bit confusing, though.

We evaluated:

• OpenNMS
  • ScienceLogic EM7
  • Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold
  • A few others that either no longer exist or were consumed by other companies

What other advice do I have?

Take advantage of their free, 30-day demo.

Definitely leverage the online community, “Thwack”.