SolarWinds NPM Review

With this solution technicians are aware of issues and almost always exactly what caused the issue.

What is most valuable?

The ability to monitor multiple devices using SNMP v3 and HP Procurve SFlow as well as multiple setups for different technicians.

We only use SNMP v3 and all of our devices are HP. Not every technician needs to see everything or have control of everything.

How has it helped my organization?

Technicians are aware of issues and 90% of the time exactly what caused the issue. Repairs can be scheduled ahead of time and RMA’s can be filed without the technician having to drive to the site only to find out it is a bad power supply or fan in a switch or server.

What needs improvement?

The speed needs improving. If you have a very large network and are monitoring a lot of devices the dashboard responds slower.

We have been using the solution for almost four years.

We had some stability issues.

We had some scalability issues. The cost for monitoring interfaces is ridiculous.

Technical support is not exactly the fastest. You create a ticket in the morning and probably get a response by e-mail from the actual technician the following day.

We were using Intermapper previously.

The setup was straightforward.

The pricing for monitoring large amounts of equipment is not bad but when you want to monitor the actual interfaces of those devices the cost goes up.

We did not look at any alternatives. This was a government project and only one company responded to their request.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have several servers. You must have the actual platform on a separate server from the database. You will need a separate database server for each module you activate such as flows. There is a very big footprint.

2 Comments
Abiodun AdebajoReal UserTOP 5

Yes, with your alerts well customized to meet your requirement. You will definite be sure to know when there is any fault or downtime on any device within your enviroment. Be it power, temperature or network related. Therefore Solarwinds modules most especially NPM has made live easier for network administrators.

05 July 17
Senior Technical Analyst at CS Softwares. Real User

In my company our customer not have problem with technical support, but when ask is slow we call fot support team. contact me I iiil like tal with ou about Solarwinds. claudia@cstibr.com

05 July 17