Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Overview

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Wireless LAN tools. It is most often compared to Aruba Wireless: Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN vs Aruba Wireless

What is Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN?
Cisco Meraki access points are built from the highest grade components and carefully optimized for a seamless user experience. The outcome: faster connections, greater user capacity, more coverage, and fewer support calls. The Cisco Meraki dashboard gives visibility into the network users, their devices, and their applications. Armed with rich analytics, administrators can quickly create access control and application usage policies, optimizing both the end-user experience and network security.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN is also known as MR18, MR26, MR32, MR34, MR66, MR72, Meraki Wireless LAN, Meraki WLAN.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Customers
Advanced Medical Transport, Banco de Guayaquil, Baylor Scott & White Health, BH Telecom, Bowling Green State University, Calligaris, Children's Hospital Colorado, City of Biel, Del Papa Distributing, Department of Justice, Dimension Data, Dualtec Cloud Builders, Electricity Authority of Cyprus, Grupo Industrial Saltillo (GIS), Hertz, K&L Gates , LightEdge, Lone Star College System, Management Science Associates, Mindtree, NBC Olympics, Quest, Sony Corporation, The Department of Education in Western Australia, Valley Proteins
Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN pricing:
  • "Since it's been acquired by Cisco, it's an even higher cost."
  • "You have to renew your contract every year, or for three or for five years. If you do not pay right away they will suspend your subscription."
  • "We do a three-year or five-year license and support. Its price could be better, but overall, we get competitive prices. A lot of times, Cisco puts itself out of range, especially with Meraki. I've dealt with a lot of business development from Cisco, and they have always been accommodating, especially in dealing with hospitals or government. There is also a right time to buy it. July is when they are eager to sell a lot of things because that is the end of their calendar year."

Lee Tilley
Director of Information Systems at a non-profit with 11-50 employees
Knowledgeable and helpful support, and it scales and load-balances to fit our needs

What is our primary use case?

Our basic feature here is that we're in the education field. I used to be a Cisco controller-based program, and

• "What I like best about Meraki is that I can change it from anywhere."
  • "Initially, I liked some of the filtering features, but that's one of the components that we ran into problems with."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that you have to evaluate what your overall goal is. If you have a team that's going to monitor your network, that's not going to be there, especially if they're offsite, then you're going to have to do a web-based solution because that's the easiest way that they can help maintain it, versus an on-premise solution. That narrows you down to a couple of different entities. Then, you just have to look at your features and what you like, from security measures to applications to structure. You have to find what fits the best. I would…
AA
Network Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Provides high-performance, next-generation deployment

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our IoT devices in the office. It is currently our wireless solution for all devices that require wireless connectivity, for example, our IoT devices and our user's laptops and phones. Within our organization, there are roughly 400 to 500 users, using this solution. Mostly developers, editors, finance — everybody uses it. Soon, we're making the switch to Aruba wireless.

• "I really don't have any problems with the stability of the product."
  • "If there are advanced features that you can have enabled, they should allow users access to that in an easier manner."

What other advice do I have?

Utilize the packet capture — I found that very helpful. Troubleshooting is one of the features that I found really helpful — day by day, trying to figure out what's going on. I think that people that are going to purchase it are looking for something really simple and something that works. If I had to summarize Meraki, the biggest lesson that I learned while using it would be: simplicity has its costs. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. It's a very good solution for small to medium-sized businesses that don't have the technical know-how to look…
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.
WM
Senior Product Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A flexible solution that provides great in-depth visibility for network analytics

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution integrator and this is one of the products that we provide to our customers. I develop, market, and strategize products. We have customers in all sorts of market segments including large businesses, government, SMEs, retail, hospitals, hotels, and others. We have a lot of clients who use this product.

• "The most amazing part is that their Access Points have the ability to connect to multiple conference devices at different times, and it shows you the very in-depth Wi-Fi analytics through their dashboard."
  • "We would like to see Wi-Fi 6 support for devices sold in the Middle East."

What other advice do I have?

The implementation and suitability of this product depend on the client and the want they want to achieve. When it comes to Wi-Fi wireless technology, you also have to consider 5G. The 5G is already here and it's the fastest, ever, wireless network. There is going to be a conflict between Wi-Fi and 5G when it comes to what enterprises are using. Wi-Fi 6 will help to keep the technology in the market. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Greg Mikkelsen
Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Excellent graphical interface, good stability, and an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to understand what is happening in terms of troubleshooting the performance on the network. We have pretty specific user issues. We use it to ensure both our users and devices are secure.

• "The interface is excellent. We've been really happy with it."
  • "We haven't had any issues with the solution. We like the way it works. There isn't anything I can think of that makes me worry that it might be lacking in a certain area."

What other advice do I have?

We have a business relationship with Cisco. We're also a partner. I'd advise other organizations to think about the solution right through to how they manage and troubleshoot end users. I would recommend that anyone looking at a solution such as this consider that. A lot of people just think about the LAN performance, but I think the ability to understand it and save time by troubleshooting the end-users would be a more important consideration. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
AB
Emerging & Disruptive Mobile Technology Expert, Strategic Advisor at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
Plug and play set up, stable, scales well with multiple access points

What is our primary use case?

There are a variety of use cases. It is being used in a community center, a school, a gymnasium, and a youth center. It's a combination of constituents. We have teachers, employees/staff, students, parents, and visitors. We have many different users.

• "The most valuable features are the multiple types of user groupings and access management."
  • "There is a processing limitation when you have multiple SSIDs, above three or four."

What other advice do I have?

If they are going for the long run it's good, but if you go too long, there is a cost component to consider and figure out, because the cost is something that is coming down with a lot of new solutions. I would rate Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN a nine out of ten.
EG
Technical Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
A fully-managed Wi-Fi solution to provide internet access for our guests

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to allow access to our guests and to grant our employees Wi-Fi access while at work. Mainly we use Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN as a Wi-Fi solution, occasionally as switches, but primarily as a wireless solution. The deployment model was on a public cloud.

• "We can deploy it and check in on our customers without having an on-site connection or an on-site infrastructure for elderly customers."
  • "The technical support for Meraki needs improvements made to the waiting times."

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution, it's really good. It's a good solution for small to medium-sized businesses or companies. We sell this solution to small businesses here in Belgium. Meraki is easier to configure than other solutions, which is most likely the reason why Cisco purchased Meraki. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Robert  Jump
Information Technology Manager at jpsnetwork
Reseller
A scalable solution that can be managed remotely and has good support

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is remote clinics. We have over 40 remote clinics, and we even use it in our mobile vans or buses for providing free medical to the homeless and those in need. We have a hybrid type infrastructure. We have Cisco as well as Aruba, but from the wireless perspective, it is all Aruba due to security and costs. Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN is deployed in a data center. We have our own infrastructure because of HIPAA compliance and other regulations. When going into the cloud, you don't know who is managing and whether they properly bedded in terms of sensitive, classified, and not… more »

• "The ability to manage it remotely is the most valuable. If it has an internet connection, you can get to it. It is a great product for remote clinics. We kind of thought about doing this kind of standalone technology. Meraki is easy to manage. From a management perspective, it is the easiest to use, especially in the cloud. I like Meraki. I even have it in my home."
  • "I would like to see more cybersecurity. I would like the ability to go in and enhance security. Because WPA2 is becoming obsolete, many devices are now WPA3, but the challenge is that a lot of devices are not yet there. I would like to be able to go in and do monitoring, similar to ASPM. ASPM has the ability to monitor who's joining and who's active. It supports two-step monitoring. The stability of Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN can also be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if it is right for your environment. I would rate Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN a nine out of ten. It is great, but it has room for improvement.
JR
Technology Systems Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
A straightforward and easily operated system

What is our primary use case?

I work for an elementary school and Meraki's used to cover the entire building with wifi. It's not just a specific location. We're a kindergarten through sixth-grade school — an elementary school.

• "We're able to automate as well as manually control as necessary."
  • "This solution could benefit from a heat mapping ability so that you can tell where the hotspots are, and where the good signals are."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of caution, I don't have any advice. In terms of a recommendation, it's been a very stable system for us. However, because our needs grew exponentially when we had to go one-to-one for students, this has made things too complicated. That's why we're looking into upgrading and replacing the whole system. Still, Meraki is not off of our list while we're considering new solutions. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten.
See 37 more Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Reviews
Product Categories
Wireless LAN
Download our free Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.