Jamf Pro Overview

Jamf Pro is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Intune: Jamf Pro vs Microsoft Intune

What is Jamf Pro?
A complete Apple management solution for IT pros to empower users and simplify the deployment, inventory, and security of Macs, iPads, and iPhones. Designed to automate device management for you while driving end-user productivity and creativity, Jamf Pro (formerly Casper Suite) is the EMM tool that delights IT pros and the users they support by delivering on the promise of unified endpoint management for Apple devices.

Jamf Pro is also known as JAMF Software Casper Suite.

Jamf Pro Buyer's Guide

Download the Jamf Pro Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Jamf Pro Customers
Xero, National Geographic, Oxford University, Via, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Fallon, Cabela's
Jamf Pro Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Jamf Pro pricing:
  • "Depending on how much support you require, it might make sense to add that to the licensing agreement."
  • "Don’t go into a sales call without knowing all the details of your system because Jamf has a ton of tools outside of Jamf Pro to offer and knowing them ahead of time is a must."
  • "The price of a training pass for five people was $18,000 USD."
  • "I know that as a school we get a discounted price, which is good because without it we would not be able to afford it."
  • "JumpStart is available at an additional cost."
  • "The setup is pricey upfront for support and setup."

Mac Specialist at Compugen
MSP
Good workflow automation that we use to create a zero-touch onboarding for our users

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to manage everything Apple in our environment. This includes everything from assigning the asset to the user, controlling licensing via the App Store, custom policies, and configurations. The goal is to ease the burden on our Service Desk, while also enabling the user to be more self-sufficient. In the past, I have used many MDM solutions and most of the time it came down to poor documentation with them compared to Jamf. We found the resources provided were more then enough to get us up and running. Plus, the continued support from their staff has been awesome!

• "Having the ability to automate our workflows has been great."
  • "One of the big areas in need of improvement is automated device naming for computers."
Senior Macintosh Systems Administrator/ Task Lead/ Information Assurance Officer at a government with 10,001+ employees
Saves time, improves efficiency, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

In my highly secure government infrastructures, Jamf is an absolute must for staying in tune with continuous monitoring (critical patching, STIG application, and reporting), especially from a central location. When we were in pursuit of our authority to operate, we were almost shut down by a Windows-specific IA group until I explained what Jamf was and how it would help implement and prove how secure Macs can be. After that, it was a requirement for our ATO to even be considered, much less approved.

• "The Smart Groups have been very beneficial for quick reporting when a critical, out of cycle patch is required."
  • "I can only say that I would love to see a more customizable dashboard."
Learn what your peers think about Jamf Pro. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director of Apple Enterprise Operations at DesignData
MSP
Robust, scales well, and the automated enrollment saves us time while standardizing our environment

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is automated enrollment for clients. We use Apple Business Manager and leverage it for new computers. For existing computers, I created an automated enrollment process, enlisting machines that can remotely wipe and re-install the OS and bring down the entire suite of applications on enrollment, which is very powerful.

• "I found that automated enrollment is very powerful because you can bring standardization to the environment."
  • "The reporting needs to be improved so that generating them is more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Jamf is to get the cloud version first and immerse yourself in it. The key is to always look at the admin guide, which can be very helpful. I would also suggest leveraging Google because if you search for Jamf Pro, there are a lot of videos where they show you how to do certain implementations. In summary, I would say that the best thing is to do your research. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
District Technology Support Technician at a educational organization with 1-10 employees
Saves us time, provides better visibility into our environment, and keeps our staff and students focused on their work

What is our primary use case?

We use Jamf Pro to manage 1300+ iPads for students and teachers, as well as 100+ MacBooks for teachers and several Apple TVs for classrooms. We push out apps and software, manage updates, and restrict content. We keep our users working and focused on what they should be doing during school, while giving them freedom to do what they want to do in off-hours, in a safe environment. We get alerts when users violate policies and can take immediate action to disable a device if need be. We can also find lost iPads using Lost Mode.

• "The most valuable features are the restrictions, Lost Mode, Self Service, and full implementation of anything Apple will let MDM manage."
  • "Technical support is in need of improvement."
Network Administrator at Katonah Lewisboro School District
Responsive support, assists in content filtering, easy to use, and has helped to streamline our process

What is our primary use case?

We use Jamf to manage our school's new 1:1 inventory of devices. Everything is in one place for our OS X and iOS deployments. We are now starting to integrate with certificates for our new wireless system and it has been wonderful to work with the teams at Jamf. Jamf Pro has helped us to have the best management for all of our devices. I was a manager of iOS devices in the past, and it was extremely cumbersome to use some of the other software out there. Jamf has made it so that I don't have to worry about anything.

• "We are able to manage our full fleet of devices and can simply integrate with all of our systems."
  • "I would like to see tighter integration with Jamf Protect in the future releases of Jamf Pro."

What other advice do I have?

Being a School district, this is certainly the way to go. Even at the corporate level, the ease of integration with ABM and ASM is amazing and extremely helpful.
Apple Administrator | Jamf Service Manager at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Intuitive user interface, excellent technical support, and responsive to user requests for new features

• "It is a first-rate product and well known in the industry as the gold standard for Apple device management."
  • "There's only one thing that I would like to see improved. It's potentially being worked on right now, actually. That is the ability to provide remote support access to use those devices. I'd like it to work in a similar manner to Desktop Central or other solutions like Team Viewer."

What other advice do I have?

Jamf Pro is used by some of the most notable enterprise organisations in the world. I believe IBM uses Jamf to manage all their devices, for example. That is pretty interesting, considering they make their own device management solution; and IBM has probably got the largest deployment of Macs on the planet! If that's not a recommendation for anybody, I don't know what is. I'm also aware ARM use Jamf as well, as does Dyson. These major companies would not be using the product if it wasn't doing what they wanted. I would rate the solution ten out of ten. It's excellent. I have nothing bad to say…
Desktop Support Engineer at Scrive
Saves us time, keeps us secure, and it is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We manage our Macs entirely with this solution and have it tied to our directory. Users, apps, and settings are all managed in this tool. We create accounts at first start, with their directory credentials. It encrypts the disk, it reports back stats and installs the most important apps for them. It also saves time with setting up mail, having optional apps in self-service, etc. With our setup, it's a complete tool for managing our fleet of Macs and iPhones. It saves time, keeps us secure, and is easy to use.

• "To have a zero-touch setup for the Macs and iPhones is more valuable than one can think."
  • "I wish the inventory would have its own pane without having to do it as a search."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you are clear with what you want before your JumpStart so that they can help you set up your environment the way you want.
Director, Mac Technical Support at Marymount Manhattan College
Nice GUI, and the self-service feature empowers our users

What is our primary use case?

Using this solution has brought order to chaos. We use Jamf to manage labs and laptops. It was a huge pain bringing in the different Mac computers/setups/software under one roof. No one knows what life was like before automated enrollment (formerly DEP). We currently are on-premises but are strongly moving toward the cloud. I think the price difference to NOT MANAGE our own servers is small compared to saving me hours of headaches looking for and testing solutions/upgrades.

• "The design of the GUI, as compared to other solutions, really makes a difference."
  • "I would love to see an integrated ticketing system built-in, better reporting templates to help analyze the data (software usage, etc.), and integration with FREE SSL Cert (letsencrypt.org) with auto-renewal."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to get the Training Pass. Train your staff, otherwise, you're wasting your money on any software in general (not being used).
See 24 more Jamf Pro Reviews