Jamf Pro OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Jamf Pro is #2 ranked solution in top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. IT Central Station users give Jamf Pro an average rating of 10 out of 10. Jamf Pro is most commonly compared to Microsoft Intune:Jamf Pro vs Microsoft Intune. Jamf Pro is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 49% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is Jamf Pro?
A complete Apple management solution for IT pros to empower users and simplify the deployment, inventory, and security of Macs, iPads, and iPhones. Designed to automate device management for you while driving end-user productivity and creativity, Jamf Pro (formerly Casper Suite) is the EMM tool that delights IT pros and the users they support by delivering on the promise of unified endpoint management for Apple devices.

Jamf Pro was previously known as JAMF Software Casper Suite.

Jamf Pro Buyer's Guide

Download the Jamf Pro Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Jamf Pro Customers
Xero, National Geographic, Oxford University, Via, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Fallon, Cabela's
Jamf Pro Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Jamf Pro pricing:
  • "Depending on how much support you require, it might make sense to add that to the licensing agreement."
  • "Don’t go into a sales call without knowing all the details of your system because Jamf has a ton of tools outside of Jamf Pro to offer and knowing them ahead of time is a must."
  • "The price of a training pass for five people was $18,000 USD."
  • "I know that as a school we get a discounted price, which is good because without it we would not be able to afford it."

Jamf Pro Reviews

reviewer1525428
Mac Specialist at Compugen
MSP
Good workflow automation that we use to create a zero-touch onboarding for our users

• "Having the ability to automate our workflows has been great."
  • "One of the big areas in need of improvement is automated device naming for computers."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to manage everything Apple in our environment. This includes everything from assigning the asset to the user, controlling licensing via the App Store, custom policies, and configurations.

The goal is to ease the burden on our Service Desk, while also enabling the user to be more self-sufficient.

In the past, I have used many MDM solutions and most of the time it came down to poor documentation with them compared to Jamf.  We found the resources provided were more then enough to get us up and running. Plus, the continued support from their staff has been awesome!

How has it helped my organization?

We have found Jamf to be the critical part of everything.

Having the ability to automate our workflows has been great. Also, having the knowledge base of other Mac Admins at our disposal with the Jamf Nation, that's something that very few if any, MDM providers have.

We currently have a zero-touch workflow, where we are able to deploy the full MS Office Suite, complete encryption, and block activation lock, all while the device is being enrolled for the first time.

The user doesn't have to reach out to IT at all during the process, which definitely improves the onboarding experience.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is Jamf Nation. It contains valuable information, tips, tricks, and resources to go to when you might have issues. Oftentimes, the issue you are facing isn't something new at all. There are always others who have run into it and can provide valuable insight to resolving it. If it is something completely new, you have a plethora of other admins at your disposal who are able to quickly assist you.

Integrated patch management is easy to keep your software up to date on devices

Painless app deployment means that we can simply package and deploy. With some other MDMs, you have to convert to a proprietary file or have to upload multiple files to properly complete the loop.

What needs improvement?

One of the big areas in need of improvement is automated device naming for computers. You can do this via mobile devices in the pre-stage but not for computers. Having the ability to assign devices to a specific pre-stage enrollment group, and having said group identify all of the systems via a specific prefix/suffix, would benefit us a lot and keep better consistency when it comes to users' machine names.

Improved Patch Management is something that is in the works, I know, but having access to more applications or even improving the method to organizing/configuring patch management will be beneficial. Currently, setting it up is a painful process.

I've been using Jamf Pro for the past four years.

Stability-wise, our experience has been very good. There have been instances of downtime, whether it be scheduled or not, but for the most part, everything has been up and running consistently.

The downtime I'm referring to is either scheduled maintenance (because we are a cloud hosted environment) or there have been server outages with AWS.  Overall though you can quickly pull up details regarding those pieces.

From the perspective of stability with the product on a day to day basis, its stellar.  Being cloud hosted we have been able to consistently add new policies, devices, scripts, running things every 15 minutes on our fleet and never any hiccups.

We use Jamf Pro's hosted services. Scalability has never come up and performance has always been top-notch.  The only slowness is when your internet is lacking.

I would say tech support has been great overall. Sometimes, it's a bit tricky to get the point across or even to identify the root cause, and it might take a couple of back and forth encounters, but once that clears up then it's a smooth experience.

Before we implemented Jamf at a previous workplace, we were using AirWatch to manage our mobile devices and binding our Macs to AD using Centrify. We switched to Jamf to improve mobility for our users as well as alleviate account issues with binding.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward, to be honest.

You needed to configure some prerequisites with Apple (ABM, APNS, VPP) but once everything was up and running, the rest was pretty seamless. The hardest part is taking a high-level look at your environment and determining how you want to manage the devices with the various scopes.

We implemented it via Jamf directly.

It is hard to put exact numbers on ROI but it's also hard to even think about the things we are doing now if we take Jamf out of the picture.

It's hard to say with this.

A lot of the resources are great and enable Admins to configure the environment solo for the most part. I would recommend you have at least one of the Admins go through the training course to better enable themselves.

Depending on how much support you require, it might make sense to add that to the licensing agreement. I've seen the difference in the support structures, first hand, and I definitely enjoyed the dedicated support tiers.

We did a POC for AirWatch (which we had for mobile already), InTune (back then, it was very much in its infancy), and Jamf.

Aram  Schalm
Systems Administrator at International School of Amsterdam
User
Easy to set up and easy to maintain with good reporting functionality

• "The fact that devices just need an internet connection [anywhere in the world] that allows them to check into the Jamf Software Server allows for identical management as if on campus or remote, has proven to be golden during the pandemic."
  • "The cheaper Jamf School is also a product that has been acquired and decked out to meet more educational needs for a good price. Some features of Jamf School aren't (yet?) available in Jamf Pro and for educational users/customers of Jamf Pro, it would beneficial to have these available in the Pro version too."

What is our primary use case?

I use it in a K-12 school environment with 1:1 iPads in K-5 and Shared iPads in Upper School. The staff uses MacBook devices and there are also iMacs for student use. In this set-up, we cater to users from 4/5 years old to Staff with 30+ years of service with ease.

Whether we need app-like icons (web clips) on iPad devices or complex printer solutions on Mac devices, users simply open Self Service, and, with a single click, the magic happens. For the youngest users, everything gets pushed silently overnight and sings and dances in the morning.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy, fast, and reliable to set up, maintain, and change settings/new apps/profiles/printer settings for all our devices.

Having reporting functions and Smart Groups to give a real-time and up-to-date status on the progress and installations is a must in a large environment. Students and Staff rely heavily on up-to-date devices, OS, and apps - whether they are on the school campus or studying remote from their homes.

With the sudden lockdown scenarios and little time to prepare for Remote Learning in a school, it was so comforting to know that the tech wouldn't be an obstacle (as school administration feared).

What is most valuable?

The fact that devices just need an internet connection [anywhere in the world] that allows them to check into the Jamf Software Server allows for identical management as if on campus or remote, has proven to be golden during the pandemic. Also, from a user point of view, everything remains the same, despite not being able to attend classes in person! As it was quite a task in general for staff and students to have to do teaching and learning from home, their tech (and our support) remained the same.

What needs improvement?

The more educational tools, bells, and whistles, the merrier. Jamf has (in my opinion) always been the go-to-MDM for education and despite Pro's higher prices, it is a must for administrators.

The cheaper Jamf School is also a product that has been acquired and decked out to meet more educational needs for a good price. Some features of Jamf School aren't (yet?) available in Jamf Pro and for educational users/customers of Jamf Pro, it would beneficial to have these available in the Pro version too.

I've used the solution since 2013.

Having moved our on-premise server to Jamf Cloud was a very good move for us. As mentioned before, having to spend time and energy to update and maintain [on-premise] servers for various OS-patches and Jamf-updates which often causes downtime, is a risk (when doing it yourself). Having Jamf's own experienced engineers monitor their cloud instances and take care of patches/updates/downtime is always faster and better than me trying to do it myself! Since the move to the Jamf Cloud, we have not had any downtime, besides the announced and scheduled update windows that come directly from Jamf. In case of incidents in the Jamf-cloud, these have been resolved mostly within the hour, whilst hardly noticing any downtime on the user's end! When changes are made during a rare downtime-window, the targeted devices will still receive the command(s) and content as soon as the services are back up (or the incident has been resolved)!. This adds to the overall reliability and stability of this solution!

Scaling up or down is a breeze. Just add users/devices to the existing scope of workflows and apps and it does what you expect (remember to add licenses when scaling up).

They are always quick and accurate on their responses. Even for more complex issues, a timely and solid solution is given.

We looked at Apple's Profile Manager in the server-app back in the days of Lion/Leopard/Snow Leopard, however, it wasn't reliable and had a tendency to 'break' with every OS/server-app update, which led to having to re-enroll all devices every time.

The setup is straightforward with help from Jamf to make sure you do not just install a server, but also tailor it to the needs of the (educational) organisation.

We did our jumpstart with help from Jamf (Katie English) and she rocked it. She is very knowledgeable.

It's invaluable to measure the time I get to spend with users to help them, as opposed to muttering about an on-premise server. We have continued this setup for the last 5 years.

Although it might seem expensive, it is such a time-saver. Many overlook the fact that people's work hours cost money too. At the end of the day, it is cheaper to have a rock-solid solution that you can rely on and not have to troubleshoot, versus a cheaper solution that requires constant attention from technicians - I'd rather spend the time with the user to up their ante.

We didn't look at other options; Jamf was the go-to tool at the time and was Apple-oriented (unlike Mobile Iron).

What other advice do I have?

It's the best Mobile Device Management on the market for Apple devices in my opinion.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Jamf Pro. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1297662
Senior Macintosh Systems Administrator/ Task Lead/ Information Assurance Officer at a government with 10,001+ employees
Saves time, improves efficiency, and the technical support is good

• "The Smart Groups have been very beneficial for quick reporting when a critical, out of cycle patch is required."
  • "I can only say that I would love to see a more customizable dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

In my highly secure government infrastructures, Jamf is an absolute must for staying in tune with continuous monitoring (critical patching, STIG application, and reporting), especially from a central location.

When we were in pursuit of our authority to operate, we were almost shut down by a Windows-specific IA group until I explained what Jamf was and how it would help implement and prove how secure Macs can be. After that, it was a requirement for our ATO to even be considered, much less approved.

How has it helped my organization?

I am now able to easily manage all of my systems and patch when necessary, with little to no interruptions to the customer. It has saved me tons of time, as well as the IA team when I gave them rights for reporting.

Jamf Pro has helped me educate a Windows-centric agency with an Information Assurance team that is also strictly experienced with Windows. Everyone was fearful of Macs and their integration into a Windows infrastructure and domain. Jamf Pro’s similarities to Microsoft’s SCCM for Windows assets helped me prove that Macs can be as useful, if not more than Windows in some cases, and very easy to secure and keep secure, even with major upgrades.

What is most valuable?

Reporting is obviously an essential tool for any Information Assurance team and if I couldn’t provide it with Jamf, it would have been a show stopper. It is able to provide quick, dynamic, and accurate reports that helped put my department on the map within our agency and other DoD agencies nationwide.

It has allowed us to move further with our additional networks without the fear of being shut down.

What needs improvement?

Sadly, my environment is closed off from the internet so I cannot benefit from all the tools, but with what I can use, I can only say that I would love to see a more customizable dashboard.

In my agency and department, I use tons of tools for scanning, remediation, and reporting. Tools like ACAS and McAfee HBSS have very detailed dashboards if you wish to view more. As stated prior, with reporting being vital, having more detailed, customizable reports that offer graphs, percentages, etc can be useful when looking for quick glance of status when you may not have the time for generating a detailed report.

I would love a bit more of government customer support and reach out. There is a ton of support for the educational fields, understandably, but I would love to see a small team also dedicated to government support.

We have been using Jamf Pro for a little over a year in production, and almost two years in development.

With the simple database requirement, upgrading or rebuilding is very simple. Running my servers on Macs so far, I have had very little setup or crash issues. Those few were likely caused by a bad package but again easily fixable.

I love the flexibility of platforms this can be installed on. It provides ease of upgrades and migration when necessary.

So far, every team that is assigned to my account has been very supportive and reaches out often just to check-in. I have sent emails late at night when testing and still got quick responses with an eagerness to help.

I have not used a previous solution for Macs. I also have Windows experience and have worked with SCCM. This allowed me to easily explain Jamf Pro and how it works to my Windows-centric agency.

The engineer that came to help with setup adapted to my skill level. Parts that were complex were necessary based on the task at hand. Most of the setup was straightforward and easy to follow. We only had a development system during the initial setup, so when I was required to repeat the steps for our production, it went very smoothly.

I implemented basically on my own aside from the Jamf admin that came to assist with the initial setup of my dev environment.

Not being the numbers cruncher guy in the office, I couldn’t say with numbers. However, I can guarantee based on the time saved and no longer needing overtime to complete upgrades, alone, we have already made our money back and then some.

With respect to pricing, I would suggest reaching out to a sales rep and discussing all of the options. I would advise them to evaluate their infrastructure and what is required. For example, whether an on-premises or cloud-based deployment is more suitable.

I did not evaluate other solutions prior to this one. I was thrown into the job and told about Jamf from a colleague. After researching what it was and what it did, I knew it was the solution I needed to assist my department in their Mac system success.

Other
Jon  DeBerry
Director of Apple Enterprise Operations at DesignData
MSP
Robust, scales well, and the automated enrollment saves us time while standardizing our environment

• "I found that automated enrollment is very powerful because you can bring standardization to the environment."
  • "The reporting needs to be improved so that generating them is more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is automated enrollment for clients. We use Apple Business Manager and leverage it for new computers. For existing computers, I created an automated enrollment process, enlisting machines that can remotely wipe and re-install the OS and bring down the entire suite of applications on enrollment, which is very powerful.

How has it helped my organization?

A good use case would be the end-user experience. The end-users are excited and happy that they're able to be more productive because they're able to access approved applications and self-service. They're able to submit tickets to the help desk, in which, if they need an application approved, it'll go through an approval process.

Anything outside of the core application suite, you'd have to get approval. At the same time, they like the aspect of being streamlined like that.

Overall, it's quite helpful and productive.

What is most valuable?

The restrictions are very powerful because you can block new OS releases, so you can vet them to make sure they're not going to break any legacy applications. That's very useful and powerful.

The ability to leverage self-service for a better end-user customer experience. You can categorize it to different aspects of your organization, be it HR, creative department, or legal, whatever you like.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs to be improved so that generating them is more user-friendly. The reporting should have more of a graphical interface. For example, if you want to create a report on how many computers have been checked in the past 30 days you can produce it. However, it is not something that you'd like to give to a CIO.

It will export data into a spreadsheet, but executives don't want to look at spreadsheets. Rather, they want to look at bar graphs, charts, and visuals with percentages.

The prices are expensive and should be reduced.

When we paid for training, we could not have all five people training at one time. I thought that if we were paying $18,000 USD then we could have everybody training at once. However, this is not the case and it doesn't make sense to me.

The response time for technical support could be better.

I have been using Jamf since 2009 or 2010, with version 8.6.

Jamf is very stable. They have a 99.9% uptime in the cloud, and I use it on a daily basis. I would say that it's very robust.

This product scales very well. There's a great use case from IBM that shows how they scaled in that environment. They bought 100,000 Macs and it scaled out very well. I've used it myself when I went from zero to over 600 computers in less than six months.

At this point, we're just implementing it with our clients. The Mac footprint is perhaps 500 end-users, total. We're planning to grow the environment and we're going to use Jamf to do it.

I would rate their technical support a nine out of ten. They are good, although the response time could be better.

I have always used Jamf, and start with version 8.6 in 2009 or 2010. At that time, there wasn't really another similar solution.

If you're using a cloud-based deployment then it is straightforward and Jamf will spin that up for you. If you're on-premises then it's a $6,000 USD on-site visit. A technician will come on-site and spin up the on-premises solution for you. An on-premises version is primarily used by federal government agencies, more often than commercial agencies. Commercial agencies usually move to the cloud.

The IT staff, including myself and several other individuals, are the ones who operate Jamf from an administrative perspective.

This is an expensive solution.

The price of a training pass for five people was $18,000 USD.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Jamf is to get the cloud version first and immerse yourself in it. The key is to always look at the admin guide, which can be very helpful. I would also suggest leveraging Google because if you search for Jamf Pro, there are a lot of videos where they show you how to do certain implementations. In summary, I would say that the best thing is to do your research.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

reviewer1278561
District Technology Support Technician at a educational organization with 1-10 employees
Saves us time, provides better visibility into our environment, and keeps our staff and students focused on their work

• "The most valuable features are the restrictions, Lost Mode, Self Service, and full implementation of anything Apple will let MDM manage."
  • "Technical support is in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jamf Pro to manage 1300+ iPads for students and teachers, as well as 100+ MacBooks for teachers and several Apple TVs for classrooms. We push out apps and software, manage updates, and restrict content.

We keep our users working and focused on what they should be doing during school, while giving them freedom to do what they want to do in off-hours, in a safe environment. We get alerts when users violate policies and can take immediate action to disable a device if need be. We can also find lost iPads using Lost Mode.

How has it helped my organization?

Things are more automated, so we can be much more hands-off while having greater visibility into what is going on in our environment. We used to have to touch every iPad multiple times per year; with the innovations that Apple has come out with that have been implemented by Jamf, like volume purchasing and device-based app deployment, we can set things up to work automatically. Things that would have taken us weeks in the past now take us mere minutes.

With Jamf reset, we can save time at the end of the school year by having the end-users erase the devices for us. This is a recently-added function and the solution keeps getting better and better.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the restrictions, Lost Mode, Self Service, and full implementation of anything Apple will let MDM manage. Some other MDMs don't offer the full range, but we know if it is possible then we can do it with Jamf.

There are some features we use, probably not for the intended outcome, but they save us time and effort. We use Lost Mode to lock devices down and call students up to our office when they have violated a policy and we need to search their iPad. Prior to this, when we would call them up they would delete the evidence on the way. Now, we can catch them red-handed.

There are always ways to improve, and Jamf has a great resource called Jamf Nation, which is an online forum where users can report issues, submit feature requests, and vote and discuss issues and solutions. It's all there for Jamf to see.

What needs improvement?

I think that some of the feature requests on Jamf Nation have been sitting out there for a long time with no movement, showing as 'planned' for a really long time, and nothing seems to ever become of them. That is disheartening, but if it is an easy fix it gets done, and if it would benefit a wide variety of users they work to get it done.

Technical support is in need of improvement.

I have used this solution for more than five years, the length of time that I have been in this position. The school district I work for has used it for eight years.

This solution has become more stable over the last year or so. I remember problems a while back, but now it seems like they are fewer and farther between.

Scalability is great. It has allowed us to grow while saving us time.

Technical support used to be better; the company has grown a lot, and their support has taken a nosedive in recent history. I recommend requesting support through the website and as soon as they reach out, asking to get on a call to explain and show what is going on so there is no confusion and they can get on your page as quickly as possible.

We didn't use an MDM before Jamf.

The setup was complete before I arrived.

In terms of ROI, I think we get a good bang for the buck.

I know that as a school we get a discounted price, which is good because without it we would not be able to afford it. For us, it is necessary to have a good MDM as the demand for technology rises.

Private Cloud
HOUSSEAU Yannick
System and Network Administrator at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Beneficial policies, highly stable, and scalable

• "I have found the most valuable feature to be the policies."
  • "I think there's room for improvement on the automation. For example, uploading a package to Jamf Pro and then updating the policy and other aspects, should be automatic. For instance, if I put a new version of the software, version 11 and the previous one was 10, Jamf Pro should be able to recognize if there's an update and update the policy automatically. It's not a big deal, but I think there's room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I use Jamf Pro to deploy software on my computers in our school and manage them.

How has it helped my organization?

Jamf Pro has improved my organization because I can have all my computers up to date on certain software, and it's very convenient for me.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable feature to be the policies.

What needs improvement?

I think there's room for improvement on the automation. For example, uploading a package to Jamf Pro and then updating the policy and other aspects, should be automatic. For instance, if I put a new version of the software, version 11 and the previous one was 10, Jamf Pro should be able to recognize if there's an update and update the policy automatically. It's not a big deal, but I think there's room for improvement.

There are a few additional features I am looking for in the next release. There should be a better way to implement malware protection. I know that Jamf is selling a product to do it, but I think a large part of it can be maintained directly inside the MDM without more cost. I think buying another software to protect the computer is a bit abusive. For instance, most of it can be done by running a script. It should be implemented in a better way.

I have been using Jamf Pro for a year and a half.

Jamf Pro is highly stable. I have never had a day of downtime since I have been using it.

I have found Yannick Jamf Pro to be scalable. I can work with a very small group of computers or I can update 500 of them in a few minutes.

We have approximately 500 people using the solution and they are mainly teachers.

I use it every day and I update the software once a week. Friday is a big day for me for the usage of the solution and for the rest of the time, it's only small maintenance or emergency operations that I use once in a while. Every day I check in if I've had issues or I check the logs for problems with deployments, and so on. I check it all the time, even when I'm not working, I check it on my phone. It's very convenient.

I have never had the need to use technical support. If I have an issue, I go to the website Jamf Nation, which is a community of Jamf users and I usually I find my solution there.

I have used two different solutions previously to Jamf Pro, which were MDM and FileWave. There was a third solution we were using but we had to remove it because it was bought by another software company, and it turned into abandonware. I had to look for another solution because all three that I used previously were not good solutions. Jamf Pro was a good solution.

The installation was very easy. It was done by the software company which I work with. The implementation took one day.

We used an integrator for the implementation and my experience with them was great.

I do the maintenance and support of the solution in my organization.

I did evaluate many other solutions from different vendors. There were approximately six or seven of them. The closest one I found that met my needs was not even close to matching the useability of Jamf Pro. Jamf Pro is very focused on the Mac system, which gives it a large advantage over the competition.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend those wanting to use this solution to try out the on-premise trial version to see how it works and how you can use it to do deployments. I tried it and it was a real eyeopener. The trial is very good and done well.

I rate Jamf Pro a nine out of ten.

PA
Network Administrator at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Responsive support, assists in content filtering, easy to use, and has helped to streamline our process

• "We are able to manage our full fleet of devices and can simply integrate with all of our systems."
  • "I would like to see tighter integration with Jamf Protect in the future releases of Jamf Pro."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jamf to manage our school's new 1:1 inventory of devices. Everything is in one place for our OS X and iOS deployments.

We are now starting to integrate with certificates for our new wireless system and it has been wonderful to work with the teams at Jamf. Jamf Pro has helped us to have the best management for all of our devices.

I was a manager of iOS devices in the past, and it was extremely cumbersome to use some of the other software out there. Jamf has made it so that I don't have to worry about anything.

How has it helped my organization?

Jamf Pro has streamlined and organized the way we do business. We are able to manage our full fleet of devices and can simply integrate with all of our systems. Jamf has made this a very easy task and has been amazing.

With Jamf, we are able to give specific access to our local admins so that they can manage devices without the help of our more senior admins. We can allow some things and not others. And, we now have a solid idea of where all of our devices are and who has and does not have them.

What is most valuable?

With our system being for students, one of the most important pieces of Jamf is to make sure that we are supplying a filter for all of them. In Jamf, I am able to see when an application is removed and then push it right back out. We are using Umbrella and if it is deleted by a student then Jamf knows and re-deploys it almost immediately.

Jamf has additional features that are helpful.

There is an easy configuration that we can set in the root of Jamf Pro to manage our Jamf Connect clients. It means that we do not have to get to much more granular, building config profiles that allow the keys right from Jamf Pro.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see tighter integration with Jamf Protect in the future releases of Jamf Pro. It has been a great system that allows us to know what is happening on all of our OS X Devices.

Jamf as a whole has come a long way and maybe more of an integration between the entire suite of Jamf products would be helpful.

Login info from Jamf Connect in the Jamf dashboard could be helpful but for the most part, we have nothing to complain about with our Jamf system.

I have been using the solution for the last four years and if I had know about it sooner, I would have been using it for much longer.

This system is extremely stable and we have it now hosted in Jamf Cloud. That was a Solid Decision

It is fully scalable and extremely simple. We scaled up from 600 to 1,200 devices over the summer and nothing changed. It was phenomenal.

They have amazing customer support that is very responsive. When we need assistance, it is only a phone call or email away.

We previously tried MaaS360 and a product by Meraki.

I was provided insight into Jamf and the full suite of products, and the ease is far greater.

The initial setup was a little tricky, coming in with zero experience, but the support of Jamf and colleagues was there and we got it to a great place fairly quickly.

We deployed with an in-house team.

This is the best value for a system that I am deeply involved with on a daily basis.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing Jamf.

What other advice do I have?

Being a School district, this is certainly the way to go. Even at the corporate level, the ease of integration with ABM and ASM is amazing and extremely helpful.

Glenn Tommey
Apple Administrator | Jamf Service Manager at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Intuitive user interface, excellent technical support, and responsive to user requests for new features

• "It is a first-rate product and well known in the industry as the gold standard for Apple device management."
  • "There's only one thing that I would like to see improved. It's potentially being worked on right now, actually. That is the ability to provide remote support access to use those devices. I'd like it to work in a similar manner to Desktop Central or other solutions like Team Viewer."

What is most valuable?

The interface is very intuitive. Anybody who has had a reasonable amount of experience with Macs will really appreciate the way this has been designed. It is only on the Mac platform anyway, and I'm given to understand Jamf engineers work at Apple and Apple engineers work at Jamf.

When Apple has a new iOS or Mac OS, that particular OS often has new features. Jamf is ready for those features the moment that the OS is released. If there are additional benefits or features as part of a new macOS, Jamf is aware. Jamf has its own network of users and a portal, Jamf Nation. Jamf users are continually suggesting updates and additional features that get reviewed by Jamf and where appropriate are implemented. There is good communication, good end-user engagement, and great company response; there's visibility of user requests and what is getting implemented.

What needs improvement?

One of the included Jamf Applications, Jamf Remote, is somewhat flaky. It's never worked for me when I've tried to access a remote device that is not on the same network, so the one thing that I would like to see improved/implemented is remote support and I believe Jamf have something in the pipeline. The ability to provide remote support access to end user devices, preferably in a similar manner to Apple Remote Desktop (ARD), Desktop Central's solution or Teamviewer.

We had it all set up and running in February 2018, so it's been about two to two and a half years since we began using the solution.

The product is ultimately stable and the ability manage most anything with an Apple device exists on the system. The product can be hosted by Jamf or on-prem, some Jamf resellers also provide their own hosting for clients, which is how our instance is configured. Our institution is very impressed with how reliable Jamf Pro is.

If you decide to go with a hosted instance from a Jamf reseller/supplier, as we do, the reseller provides support in addition to Jamf themselves. The support we've received thus far is nothing short of excellent. When Apple release either a new iOS or macOS, Jamf is ready able to support the new operating systems from day one.

I'd give technical support full marks, ten out of ten, hands down.

Jamf require clients to have two to three days initial training known as 'Jumpstart'. A Jamf expert comes to your location and goes through everything you need to do to get it up and running. If you're simply managing Mac OS, it's two days. If you're managing iOS as well, as we are, it's three days. Jumpstart is a paid-for service.

We did get a specific 3-day in-person training session with a member of the Jamf engineering team. It was a paid service.

What other advice do I have?

Jamf Pro is used by some of the most notable enterprise organisations in the world. I believe IBM uses Jamf to manage all their devices, for example. That is pretty interesting, considering they make their own device management solution; and IBM has probably got the largest deployment of Macs on the planet! If that's not a recommendation for anybody, I don't know what is. I'm also aware ARM use Jamf as well, as does Dyson. These major companies would not be using the product if it wasn't doing what they wanted.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten. It's excellent. I have nothing bad to say about it at all.