Microsoft Dynamics AX Overview

Microsoft Dynamics AX is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Activity Based Costing Software. It is most often compared to SAP S4HANA: Microsoft Dynamics AX vs SAP S4HANA

What is Microsoft Dynamics AX?
Microsoft Dynamics AX is an enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution that is simple to learn and use so you can deliver value faster, take advantage of business opportunities, and drive user involvement and innovation across the organization.

Microsoft Dynamics AX is also known as Dynamics AX, Axapta, MS Dynamics AX, MS Dynamics AX, MS Dynamics AX.

Microsoft Dynamics AX Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Dynamics AX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Microsoft Dynamics AX Customers
ConQuaestor, D & H Distributing, Sunny Queen, Mesa Associates, Britax Childcare, Ibema, Arafa, Sabo S.p.A.
Microsoft Dynamics AX Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Dynamics AX pricing:
  • "It's too expensive for customers to take this on themselves. As partners, we will buy this on behalf of the customers and then charge this value for each project."
  • "The pricing is expensive."
  • "I don't know how much this solution costs off the top of my head, but I know that the cloud and SaaS solutions are cheaper."
  • "It is $180 to $200 per user per month with a minimum of 20 users, which makes selling the product a bit difficult."

Okay Akdeniz
Business Application Group Manager at celikkk
Provides a lot of functionality

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Dynamics AX product is an ERP solution. We provide this solution to three categories. One of them is the supply chain, one finance, and the other, retail commerce. We are implementing the supply chain through a simple warehouse model, which is finance-based. This includes the general ledger and other accounting functions. We are providing solutions for cash registers and E-commerce alongside other back-office solutions.

• "Dynamics AX provides a lot of functionality."
  • "The product is standardised across industries so it is not a good fit for all types of sectors."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is good. I would give Microsoft Dynamics AX 8 out of 10.
JM
Director, Managed Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
This is an aging product which had utility when it was introduced but it is going out of service

What is our primary use case?

We are using an older version of Dynamics AX and we are using their servers. We are a managed services company, meaning that we provide telecommunication services like VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) to our customers. We use Dynamics to log tickets, to resolve incidents, and to record changes in the platforms that we deliver to our customers.

• "It was an okay solution when we delivered hardware and we had to do maintenance."
  • "It is being decommissioned."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate Microsoft Dynamics as only a five-out-of-ten in general. It does not meet our needs and will essentially be decommissioned.
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Dynamics AX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Shahzad-Islam
SAP Business One / Dynamics365FO / SAP ERP Implementer & Trainer at Freelance
Stable, with lots of competitive features, including asset management

What is our primary use case?

Of the majority of projects I was involved in, two of them were for retail. They wanted to use it for the POS. One was a distribution company and one was for the production. They were importing and repacking some goods, FMCG goods, and selling them. The product was used mostly in scenarios of that type.

• "There's a moderate amount of scalability available."
  • "The solution in general just needs a few quality improvements."

What other advice do I have?

I work as an implementor and a consultant and I partner with Microsoft and SAP. In the country I work in, only on-premises solutions are possible. They are not going into cloud solutions at all. I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten. If a company has a good development infrastructure, and they have an in-house development team, for smaller software such as SAP Business One and NetSuite, you can go with one developer or fewer developers. However, with AX or Dynamics 365, normally you'd probably be best with three to four developers in-house.
JB
Data Analytics Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Helps organize, automate, and optimize our processes

What is our primary use case?

We have the following modules: Finance, Purchase, CRM, Treasury, and sales. Within our company, there are roughly 15 employees using this solution.

• "The relation between CRM and Sales, that's the main strength of this ERP."
  • "They should include some modules related to solving customer problems or resolving support tickets from our customers — like a help desk for ERPs."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.
Osama Nabih
Chief Executive Officer at Easy Touch
Flexible, easy to use, and well-covers business needs

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Dynamix AX is one of the products that we implement for our clients. It is primarily used for the Industrial Field in Egypt, although we have implemented solutions for doctors and trading companies, like Pingu for kids' games and toys. We also focus on trading and investors, especially in the food industry.

• "It is stable, suitable for businesses, and covers all business needs."
  • "There is no Arabic interface in Microsoft Business Central, which is a big weak point."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to focus on the size of the business when it comes to creating a solution. For example, if it's a medium-sized company, don't offer Business Central. Instead, offer them AX for finance and operations. Or, or if they are not medium don't sell them finance and operations, sell them the Business Center it would be a better choice. Give the user what they need. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
KS
Manager IT at a retailer with 201-500 employees
A stable and complete ERP solution

What is our primary use case?

We're using Microsoft Dynamics AX within a tech service. Our company is a shoe company in Pakistan, and we are using Microsoft AX in the head office and branches.

• "I like that it's a complete ERP solution from production level to branch level."
  • "There are so many errors."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users that it's a good solution on the technical side. I would recommend it. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Dynamics AX an eight.
MS
Head of Technology at a real estate/law firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, but scaling can be complex

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for finance applications.

• "If anyone is familiar with Microsoft products then they can handle it easily."
  • "There should be the capability for users to enhance the application by using a low-code or no-code product from the Microsoft family."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product depends on your business environment and industry. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
AS
Test Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, reliable, and satisfactory technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for a small organization.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features of the solution is how easy it is to use.

What needs improvement?

The integration could improve for the future.

I have been using the solution for approximately 10 years.

In my experience, the solution has been stable.

I have approximately 50 people using the solution in my organization.

The technical support is satisfactory.

We have a couple of technicians that do the deployment.

What other advice