Microsoft Teams Review

Enables us to communicate in real-time and share documents in real-time

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use this solution for project collaboration. It could be, for example, when we are developing a new product or taking a new product to market. We use it for designing, publishing and marketing assets, so basically team collaboration where we are working on a project. It helps with communication in the team and it allows us to share different documents or content with each other.

How has it helped my organization?

We used Skype for business in the past and we had a reasonable audio and visual experience when communicating with teams, if you have a scheduled meeting, for example. But now, with Microsoft Teams, we are able to communicate in real-time and share documents in real-time. And that is a really big improvement for us. The solution has a lot of capabilities in one application. Whereas in the past we had to use multiple applications. That, I would say, would be the biggest benefit that we've experienced, in that we have only one application that we can use to collaborate and speak with each other.

What is most valuable?

I think what the team likes most is the improvements when it comes to communication. We've been using Skype for business in the past but the audio and visual communication is really good with Microsoft Teams. I also really like the speed of the product and the way that the channels can be leveraged.

What needs improvement?

There is nothing that annoys me at the moment but perhaps the layout can be improved. In my experience working with Microsoft tools, they continuously work on usability. There are a few minor issues when scheduling meetings, and that is that some of the descriptions are really long. And there seems to be very little control over what a user could control in terms of the texts that appear. An invitation, for example, can look very complicated. So I would say that Microsoft Team invitations from the calendar within the solution could be improved.

I have been using Microsoft Teams for about six months now.

The solution is stable, I've never experienced it being unavailable or behaving in a peculiar way.

We are only 30 people using this program, but what I have not noticed any issues when more colleagues participate in Microsoft Teams. When usage increases, the program still offers a seamless, consistent experience. We may even add more users, so I believe the program is very scalable.

I haven't used the technical support yet, because I contact our administrator directly. But I know that he was working with Microsoft's technical team from time to time, as well as a third party that delivers hosting services.

We used Skype for Business before but Microsoft Teams came along with the Microsoft Office subscription that we had. We had subscriptions to Office. And then we moved from On Premise Exchange to Exchange Online. It was the natural choice to make. We do use other services from other providers, but I would say that Microsoft Teams is the most stable one.

From an end-user perspective, the initial setup was really straightforward. We started to use Microsoft Teams when we deployed Microsoft Exchange Online earlier this year, and as part of that, we adopted the use of Teams and Yammer. I have been using Microsoft Teams in the past, but it wasn't really until we as an organization had deployed it and exchanged online that we were all able to enjoy the benefits. Testing the application before was very fragmented.

Deployment took a couple of days. When we started to go from using Microsoft Outlook for mail, we started to integrate Yammer and Teams.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be that, if they're working with a similar product, they should have a change management program in place. They should also give themselves a few days at least to deliver some training for the users. I think the training is really important to enhance the user adoption experience. It doesn't have to be a lot, but at least give them an introduction and a guided tour through the program's features.

The biggest lesson I've learned is actually using a single application that can deliver all of the services that are required. Since I've only been using the solution for six months, I haven't even used all the features yet. I think that Microsoft Teams may replace Microsoft Outlook in the future.

On a scale from one to 10, I will rate this solution a seven. I think there's always room for improvement, even if it's not obvious what those improvements can be. I guess I could be tempted to say eight but not higher than that. I am very satisfied with Microsoft Teams.