One Identity Manager Review

Privileged account governance, template customization, and Sync Engine are key features

What is our primary use case?

As consultants, we use it for provisioning, for access management in SAP, for AD access management. In the future, we may use it for many other applications like SafePoint and Office 365.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves organizations because role requests are automated, as are provisioning and deprovisioning; all of that is automated.

It saves time and improves productivity because otherwise, people would be calling the helpdesk. Productivity is improved because everything is automated. A user makes a request and a workflow is triggered. It sends mails to your manager or to the product owners for approval. If everything is working properly, productivity increases.

What is most valuable?

Even without any customization, if you install it, configure it, it's ready. We may do some small customizations afterward, but the product is really good as is. It's very powerful. Without any customization, it starts working.

There is also a new feature, the Sync Engine, which is very good. Before, without it, the initial onboarding of HR systems was very difficult.

The policy and role management features are good, but not well-implemented in many companies because it's not that easy. It takes time. We are starting to use attestation in our current project and to follow the company policies. It takes time, but the feature is good. The company policies feature is really good because in workflows you can check whether the policies are all working. It's a good feature, but I don't think it is very common in many companies.

In terms of privileged account governance, in all of our previous projects we created privileged accounts and, again, with the new projects, we are going to start managing privileged accounts through One Identity. This feature is good. The new features are really good.

Finally, the product is flexible. We can easily customize almost any part of the system, such as having logic code inside the templates, inside the tables. And we can create processes as well. The customization makes it really flexible.

What needs improvement?

One Identity has a self-service portal but many customers need a helpdesk where they can go in and request. To make that happen we need to do a lot of customization. Maybe that could be improved, but it can be implemented.

The current version we have is stable but there are bugs, of course. There are many bugs. Many customers may wait for somebody else to move their systems and after they get the feedback, only then will they move. Each time there is a new release, it takes time to become stable.

It's scalable.

Technical support depends on the level. Level-one is not as knowledgeable as level-two. But, overall, their level of knowledge is good.

For me, the setup is easy, because I have a background in Microsoft technologies. That makes it really easy.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently working on integrating it with SAP, but we are customizing a lot of things to fit with the current company's requirements. Their requirements are quite different from the out-of-the-box settings. Next month is the first SAP system go-live.

After the SAP onboarding, we will look at the cloud. I have fixed some bugs in the code for the Office 365 onboarding earlier. That was a very early version with custom connectors to Office 365, version 6. But in terms of a cloud connector, we have not started to work on it yet, in the latest versions.